Wishing-Perfect Pellet Grill

Ducaticraig

After using many different pellet grills here is what I think would be the perfect pellet grill. I'm curious to see what other pellet users would build if they could build the ultimate pellet grill? Have fun and be creative.

My ultimate pellet grill would have a CharBroiler side like the Fast Eddy PG1000. It would be built like a tank (Yoder) and be similarly shape of the Yoder YS1500. Develop some kind of gravity fed pellet hopper to rid the unit of an auger pellet feed system. The grill would have a dual fire box setup and use the Pellet Boss Controller with WIFI option. It would also have quick access to the firebox for easy ash removal. An optional water box could be added with external adapter so one could easily add fluids to the box without opening the lid/hood. Final wish list item would be some kind of external door where you could add a couple pieces of chunk wood that wood roll down just off the fire box for addional smoking capabilities.

Just having some fun thinking of what my favorite pellet grill would consist of if I could have one buiilt. It's fun to dream. :)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Big Poppa

Administrator
Craig...first off I feel bad for you....I see it in all the different businesses I am in...You have an itch you can't scratch. I mean that in a nice way...but there will never be a grill that makes you happy. You have the ultimate charcoal cooker in the Komodo Kamado, you have had the MAK Memphis Bob Grillson Fast Eddy and Yoder. These are just the ones I know of.

I love the ash idea.....the Blazn grill has that but it also scares me from a safety standpoint. Removable firepots are hazards

In the end I have spent time on the phone with you and there is only so much you can expect from a Pellet Grill..There is no category of smoker that doesnt have its disadvantages but a pellet cooker does the most things well...A stick burner is probably the ultimate from a cooking point of view but it puts the onus of smoker and your flavor profile on the cook....Each of you out there will find out how good of a smoker you are if you are in charge of that....it is a skill that you dont have to have if you use a pellet grill...the other is constant fire maintenance....the next is charcoal...be it gravity systems, drums, or cabinet smokers..they have their profile and like the stick burner it puts the onus on you as far as smoke goes....I can burn two big bag of logs smoking in my Jambo and have the nicest gentle smoke...I can put three chunks of wood in a charcoal cooker and sometimes it is too smoky...the pellet grill is the most consistent and you can do other things as it cooks the food for you.

A pellet grill is like a superb and I mean superb swiss army knife....it does every thing at a very high standard.

When you were fussing like mad over the stainless and the temp I told you to just cook and enjoy the food....I think you should try other kinds of smokers and see if they can come close to scratching your deep itch.

Your Pal

Big Poppa

Ducaticraig

Thanks Big Poppa, as you can see I have a monster itch I'm dying to scratch and your correct, I have not quite reached it. Every grill I had or still have is more than what I need. I'm just living the dream and having a blast trying a small sampling of the grills out there. You've been fortunate to experience many types of grills. I too would love to try a handful.

On a positive note look what my post gave me and others reading it? It gave us an excellent response from you with more valuable information for some of us who are newer to the BBQ world. Up until a year ago I did not even know there was a pellet grill on the market. I love the ease of use of pellet grills. The food off my Mak was very good. I then went to a cafe who specializes in tri tip. It was cooked on a Santa Maria style grill using mesquite lump and oak or hickory logs. I just about wet my pants it was so good. I don't see how that smoked flavor could be duplicated on a pellet grill. Just want to make sure this is not taken wrong, pellet grills cook great tri tip too. Tasting food off that Santa Maria style grill opened my eyes to wanting to try different grills/smokers.

Everything you shared with me above is greatly appreciated more than you know. FYI, the Komodo Kamado is a piece of art in my yard. I'm still amazed I have one. It's gets the most attention when friends come over.

Sterling, no joke, I getting very close to scratching that itch. Please don't hate me for wanting to experience the different smokers and product that comes off them. I tried experiencing many fun cars in my youth but that got expensive. Buying and trying grills is fun and has been a lot cheaper in comparison.

Thanks Sterling for always speaking your mind and taking the time to help guide us newbies.

Happy Holiday's to you and your family.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Craig we all suffer the addiction of Smoke! You just have it particularly bad. hahahahah

Cooking with fire is part of the most basic and deep things we humans do. I do not hate for what you do, I feel bad sometimes that you have had a hard time finding the right tool.

Santa Maria style I am very well versed on.....I lived in San Luis Obispo for 25 years(actually am here as I type) I cooked exclusively that style for the entire time...ribs too! To be real it has to be central calfornia red oak. NEVER mesquite hahahah. IF you want to try Santa Maria style in a restaurant fire up the Ducati and head to the Hitching Post in either Buellton or Casmalia ca. The Buellton one was where they filmed the movie Sideways.

In my previous post I talked about cookers but really when you look at the styles of BBQ regionally in America...from the Low Country Oyster cooks using a steel plate and pallet wood to the Georgia BBQ Shade Tree bbq where they use zero spices....just hickory or peach...
to the Hawaiian/california Rancho pit in the ground...there are so many ways to cook outside and they alll have their unique qualities.

This isnt even touching the international ways....like the French with the vertical rotisseries where the grape wood is placed stacked behind the food....but if you want to splurge on a fabulous book get Seven Fires....its all about the Argentinian way.....

I do feel that I have to warn unsuspecting newbies when you post your reviews.....I have to tell them about the itch!

Happy holidays

JeffCO

I gotta disagree with ya BP. I'll take Jocko's in Nipomo over the Hitching Post any day! Especially if you're in their room with the view of the monster pit.

Ducaticraig

Thanks Sterling, I will pick up the book. Happy Holiday's and Merry Christmas to you. :)

Top Bottom