Your favorite burger technique?

roburado

What is your favorite burger technique?

Sear first then smoke? Reverse sear? Just grill? Just griddle? Just smoke? Something else?

Big Poppa

Administrator
smoke then sear...make the patties sort of concave too....when they are footballs they dont cook as easily

KimG SOW

My favorite is letting my girls make and then cook the hamburgers. Love all the things they come up with.

roburado

Thanks, folks. Thanks, BP, for the reminder on the concave center. I'm thinking that I'm first going to try the techniques that require some direct heat and some indirect, but my first impulse is reverse sear. Second, sear on the griddle with some butter then smoke. I keep meaning to do burgers, but I never get around to it. Something else always gets in the way.

TentHunter

We have gotten to where we hardly ever cook individual burgers anymore. Instead we opt to load up a cookie sheet with ground beef, add our toppings and do a hot smoke kind of like a flat meat loaf. Then slice them up and serve. They're easy to do, require little attention, and because of the extra smoke the flavor is hard to beat.

In fact we plan to do some this way later today.

BBCB01.JPG

BBCB03.JPG

Last edited:

sparky

whatever hamburger i get from WinCo made into patties and squished w/ a plate to make flat on the counter. i like 15% - 18% fat in my hamburgers. hamburger / wax paper / hamburger / wax paper and so on. into the frig for 1 or so. i like cold hamburger on hot grill. mak to 400º to 450º w/ my grill grates. 1/2 hour later on go hamburgers. hot grill grates better. i don't switch directions to put pretty marks on the hamburgers or steaks. i mean really. your just going to eat it. pretty lines aren't going to make it taste better. 3 minutes then flip. 3 more minutes and done. done to a perfect medium. top w/ slice jalapenos' between some nice lettuce leafs (bread not good for my heart). ummm good stuff manard. :cool:

tbone

WoW, that looks fantastic TentHunter! I can't believe I'm learning new ways to cook hamburgers. :cool:

What do you mean by hot smoke?

tbone

TentHunter

What do you mean by hot smoke?

Some of these temps are debatable, but basically:

Cold smoking
- is usually below 100° F. You're applying smoke but NOT cooking the meat.

Hot Smoking - can be done at temps above 140°, but for safety is usually done between 165° - 200° F (225° max).

Here's where it gets debatable - BBQ Temps - usually 200°-275° is considered by most to be BBQ temps. But, because there is still a notable amount of smoke flavor applied to the meat, you could also think of these temps as Very Hot Smoking (if that makes sense - :p).

The higher the temp the less smoke.

When I hot smoke burgers in a flat loaf this way, I usually go for pit temps around 225°. Then I usually raise the pit temp towards the end to finish the burgers off & crisp up bacon if using it as a topping.

Important Note!
- You should avoid smoking at temps between 100° - 150°. That is the danger zone temps. The combo of those temps and the lack of oxygen (because of the smoke) is the perfect environment for anaerobic bacteria (such as Botulinum) to breed.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

RickB

My favorite is the Jusiy Lucy. Take two 3 oz balls of 80/20 and flatten both. Raise the edges and put a pat of butter and two pats of provolone in the middle. One on top of the other and seal the edges. On the grill grates for great grill marks. Onto a bun with lettuce tomato and pickle. Condiments of choice. Molten cheese and butter to die for. Enjoy.

sparky

My favorite is the Jusiy Lucy. Take two 3 oz balls of 80/20 and flatten both. Raise the edges and put a pat of butter and two pats of provolone in the middle. One on top of the other and seal the edges. On the grill grates for great grill marks. Onto a bun with lettuce tomato and pickle. Condiments of choice. Molten cheese and butter to die for. Enjoy.

oh, this sound real good except for the bun part. nice idea. ;)

Chili Head

I like to hot smoke mine then sear em. If I'm making cheese burgers I always do the cheese skirts now. Love that crusty cheese :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom