Brisket Question

Ok. I think I have become pretty proficient at ribs and butts. I have yet to do a brisket and am thinking of giving one a try pretty soon.

I was wanting to know if anyone could suggest a rub, should I inject, when do I foil, do I add any liquid when I foil, Are there any specific temps I should be looking for?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks,

Bruce

MoHuka

Wolverines..After several attempts I have been able to turn out consistently good briskets. I use Oakridge BBQ's "Black Ops" brisket rub the day before and wrap in plastic and in fridge overnight. Cook day I let it sit on counter for about an hour then inject with a beef base with Worcestershire and garlic, then coat in molasses and another heavy coat of Black Ops...smoke/cook at 225 until about 160, then foil wrap with a little apple juice and cook to 190-195 or until probe is easily inserted. I monitor IT in the thin end. I then cut off the point, cube, more rub and back in the smoker for a couple hours for burnt ends. I double wrap the point in foil, tower and in a cooler for at least 2 hours.....

killerq

in my opinion the best rub is equal parts kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper nothing else...i set my mak @ 180 for two hours then up to 250 until probe tender somewhere around 203 internal temp.

TentHunter

Whatever rub you choose, my favorite glue to make the rub stick to brisket is a coating of spicy brown mustard. I love the hint of horseradish flavor that you get from the mustard. It just seems to pair up nicely with beef.

Thanks for everyone's input. Hey Poppa, do you use the Money and the Pepper cow together or are those 2 rubs to try separately?

Thanks again.

Ok. I have my brisket and my Money and Peppered Cow to use as my rubs. Any other suggestions or ways to cook the burnt ends? I think I am going to give it a try on Wed. Hopefully with all of the great advice from everyone on here, I can pull off a winner.

Also, should I just use the defatted liquid from the cook as sauce ( will that be enough) or should I add a bbq sauce along with it?

Thanks

Last edited:

scooter

I cut them into cubes, put them into a foil halfpan coat with a mixture of foil jus and BBQ sauce. Smoke for 2 hours (or more if needed) tossing around in the sauce every 30 mins or so.

Mmmmm

You're pulling it off for good, or just to foil and put back on? It will be dry and tough at 160.

I'm just foiling and putting back on @ 250 until the IT reaches 190-195. I think that's what everybody suggested. Is that right?
This is my first one.

TentHunter

Looking good so far... staying tuned...

For burnt ends I do them similar to scooter with one exception. After I cut them into cubes, I toss them in some rub that contains brown sugar first, then put them in a foil pan and crank the heat up for a good 30 minutes so they caramelize really well. After that I reduce the heat, add a little sauce, and finish them just like scooter described.

I love 'em!

So should I separate the point when I reach 190 then foil my flat for about an hour or so and put the burnt ends on while the flat is resting?

View attachment 2609 Turned out well for my first attempt. Pretty tender. Some places were real tender & juicy while some were good but not as good as others. Don't know if that's me or the meat. The overall flavor was really good. My family liked it. Thanks for everyone's help & suggestions. I appreciate it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

TentHunter

View attachment 2609Some places were real tender & juicy while some were good but not as good as others. Don't know if that's me or the meat.

The thinner end of the flat tends to be a little more dry than the rest. Sometimes the part that overlaps the point needs a little more cooking time. It's a tricky cut of meat!

Overall, by the looks of the pictures, I'd say you did a great job, especially considering it was your first attempt. Definitely better than my first brisket too!

I was real pleased with the flavor I was able to get. It tasted great. I did use the Peppered cow and Money rub. I smoked with Pecan wood. Nice smoky flavor but not overpowering. I think maybe I needed to let it rest a little longer. It only rested about 40 minutes. I was excited to try it and everyone was hungry. Maybe that was a rookie mistake.

I thought my burnt ends turned out great but my family didn't care for them. But what do they know? Lol! I think next time, I will just do a flat. There's a lotta burnt ends left over for one person to eat but I think I'll manage disposing of them!

I still couldn't have done it without the help of everyone on the forum.

Thanks for all who gave their suggestions.

Top Bottom