Fathers Day Contest! Whoop Whoop It pays double

soupyjones

I decided to make a few old favorites this weekend. Off the hop I have wanted to try making bread on my Traeger since I got it. This was my chance. The main players.
002-2.jpg

After a bit of work.
003-4.jpg

Then that sat and proofed a couple of times and went on the Traeger. I was having trouble with the wind stealing my heat so I did not dare to open the door, so sadly I only have a pic of when it came off.
006-5.jpg

While that was taking place I started on my pork roast. My signature dish if I have one is pork loin stuffed with pears and feta cheese. That was on the menu tonight. The players.
005-2.jpg

While I was working on that my wife was making a cheesecake. I offered to bake it for her. Once the bread was off the roast and cheesecake was on.
008-3.jpg

The unsliced end of the roast for some reason.
010-3.jpg

Served it up with some stuffed spuds I made on the Traeger, steamed broccoli, a thick slice of my bread and a roasted garlic sauce. My plate.
012-4.jpg

It might look a wreck but it was one of the better meals I have made with my Trager. Thanks for looking guys.

RickB

This week I’m going Asian. Chinese Baby Back Rib’s, Jicama Asian Slaw and Pajoen with a Soy Ginger Dipping Sauce. This will be a three part cook. First off let’s make the Sauces. Part 1

First the BBQ sauce for the ribs.
The players

IMG_0357.jpg

Into the pot to blend the flavors

IMG_0358.jpg

Let this cool and about a third into a pack for the rib’s marinade.

IMG_0377.jpg

The rest gets a bump of flavor.

IMG_0360.jpg

Back on a low fire for 3 or 4 hours till it’s almost a syrup.

IMG_0365.jpg

Don’t let the color fool you! It will be that dark red you remember with asian ribs.

Next the Slaw Dressing

IMG_0383.jpg

Next the Dipping Sauce for the Pajoen.

IMG_0386.jpg

Now onto part 2.

RickB

Chinese Baby Backs part 2

Let’s get cooking. Ribs out of the marinade and onto the mak.

IMG_0380.jpg

Little later some foil love

IMG_0390.jpg

Onto the slaw. Veggies going in. We got the jicama,red bell,carrot,napa cabbage and red oinion.

IMG_0389.jpg

Into the bowl with the dressing

IMG_0393.jpg

Let’s get the Pajoen going.

IMG_0392.jpg

Strange way to cook a flatbread. You pour boiling water into the flour and mix. Let set for 30 minutes and form. First cut into 4 pieces. Twist,flatten and roll out thin. Add Sesame oil and scallions. Fold and roll out again.

IMG_0407.jpg

IMG_0409.jpg

IMG_0410.jpg

Hold till we are ready to fry.

Rib’s coming out ready to rest. Told ya not to be fooled with that color.

IMG_0405.jpg

Onto part 3

RickB

Chinese Baby Back’s part 3

Let’s plate this bad boy! Chinese Baby Back Ribs with Jicama Asian Slaw and PaJoen with a Soy Ginger Sauce.

Rib’s look good

IMG_0416.jpg

The plate looks better. Money Shot!

IMG_0418.jpg

Enjoy!

PaulyT

Ok here's my entry, sorry for the repeat post, just copy&pasting from my other thread...

Time for some more experimenting...

The weave, with a "rub" of cumin, chili powder, and onion powder:

DSC8900-M.jpg

Topped with a layer of sage-flavored sausage (sage is a plant that grows wild all over northern NM), then New Mexican green chile and mozzarella - yeah monterey jack probably woulda been more traditional, but I had a bunch of this lying around...

DSC8901-M.jpg

Added a couple eggs; in Santa Fe, it's not uncommon to request e.g. a green chile enchilada with an egg on top. A little fresh-ground pink peppercorn.

DSC8902-M.jpg

Finally, a little chopped crispy bacon on top:

DSC8903-M.jpg

Rolled up and ready to smoke @ 225, using GMG brand pellets (which is all I've got until my next order from BPS arrives :cool: ) :

DSC8905-M.jpg

I gotta learn to put less stuff on here... my problem is that I want too many things and then it gets hard to roll up and the weave is bursting at the seams... oh well, it seems to be holding together, but I doubt I'll get the nice spiral pattern in the cut finished roll. But I'm a scientist and engineer, presentational details are not my purview. :p The idea here is to combine flavors that are reminiscent of, say, a New Mexican green chile stew. Not necessarily spicy hot (though it certainly can be depending on where you get it, like Tia Sophia's in Santa Fe that has a big sign saying "not responsible for food too hot to eat!" :D ), and I wanted a mild white cheese to add texture and mix with the chile. Minimal seasoning otherwise, so it doesn't overwhelm the green chile flavor.

It's cooking now, will let you know how it comes out in 2.5-3 hours!

FYI I grew up in Los Alamos, NM, and really miss the southwest and green chili dishes in particular! I wish I had some fresh whole green chiles to put in this, but it's not that season yet... plus shipping of those things to MD is godawful expensive, I've looked.

PaulyT

... cont'd:

... and done!Pulled @ internal temp of 165, and put in a serving dish that was made in New Mexico:

DSC8907-M.jpg

A slice:

DSC8911-M.jpg

And paired with a nice Zinfandel:

DSC8910-M.jpg

And the taste... this is one of the best things I've ever cooked. It's a whole different level from my previous bacon explosion. The cheese added a softness to the texture of the inside, and I think helped to soak up and spread the green chile flavor, which is kinda subtle. The outside with the seasoning had more of a standard pot chili flavor, which complemented well with the more delicate inside. The whole thing just worked. This is definitely something I'll be making again.

The only thing I could add to it is a little more green chile flavor. Either a stronger, fresher chile, or perhaps take some whole (not diced) chiles and spread them in a layer between the outside bacon weave and the sausage. Kind of like a giant chile relleno (one of my favorite dishes).

Susan

Susan’s Ropa Vieja

I picked up a rather large chuck roast that I cut in half and froze half. Then I took the remaining piece and cut it in half again and rubbed it with some Double Secret and put it on the Weber with a pot full of wine soaked oak pellets to roast and smoke very slowly.
06-17-2012cook003.jpg

Here it is looking really good and almost read to be foiled.
06-17-2012cook005.jpg

I foiled the two pieces and put it back on the Weber and got busy making the sauce. I sweated a medium size sweet onion, five cloves of garlic, half each of a red, orange and yellow pepper. To that mixture I added a cup of dry red wine and then the seasonings; cumin, chili powder, Kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper and smoked paprika. I gave it a good stir and then added a can of whole tomatoes that I hand squeezed and of course splattered myself generously with tomato juice. I brought the mixture to a boil and added about a tablespoon full of white vinegar, covered the pot and set it simmer.
06-17-2012cook012.jpg

I took the chuck off the grill and shredded it. It was really hard not to dig right in and eat all that lovely bark.
06-17-2012cook016.jpg

I mixed the pulled beef with the sauce and it was time to plate it.

Here it is served up and ready to eat.
06-17-2012cook018.jpg

This dish was delicious. Thanks for looking.

Pappymn

Newbie here. First time taking the plunge and showing some pictures. My family loves ribs, so these are my first on Mak 1000.

Here is the prep.
4b49f171-662e-b706.jpg

As a newbie, I leaned on Sparky for some pointers. I have always been a griller who relied heavily on his thermapen to make sure everything came out right. Ribs seem to be more art then science.

30 minutes on smoke. Two hours at 275

4b49f171-66dc-048d.jpg

Into the foil with brown sugar, honey, and butter. Back on 1000 for one hour.

Out of the foil for 45 minutes. A tip from Sparky was to check for tenderness with a toothpick. Honestly, didn't think they were done. Actually the end ribs were good, but the middles needed more time.

Checked again after 15 minutes, then another 15 minutes. Then it started to rain......

So I got a little wet with the finish. Sauced the ribs, and then back on to set the sauce.

4b49f171-68b5-2ba7.jpg

They really turned out well. Whole family enjoyed!

4b49f171-6907-9942.jpg

Thanks Sparky.

P.S. I also made some Pepper Stout Beef......very tasty.

4b49f171-697a-2025.jpg

4b49f171-6995-cb7c.jpg

Tatonka3A2

Chicken and Artichoke Lasagna

This has become a family favorite - White Chicken and Artichoke Lasagna.

The Chicken mixture - Shredded smoked Monteray Jack cheese, grated parmesan cheese, can of artichoke hearts, can of rotel, and of course some smoked shredded chicken.

The white sauce - Beat cream cheese and milk - fold in ricotta cheese and add some garlic powder and basil. Add half of this mixture into the chicken mixture and begin building.

The layering process...

Onto the Yoder to smoke @ 150° for an hour - smoking with Oak pellets. Then bumped the heat up 275°. Here it is about 40 mins into the cook.

Time to add some garlic toast.

After resting for 10 min. before cutting.

Yum!!!!

Oh... forgot.... more cheese.

Last edited:

FLBentRider

Fathers Day Rib eyes

Still at the beach - this is the view of the park from the water
IMGP6627.jpg

IMGP6665.jpg

Like I said. On the beach:
IMGP6658.jpg

Happy Fathers Day!
IMGP6633.jpg

I put some Big Poppas Double Secret Steak rub on some Sams rib eyes
IMGP6653.jpg

On the Q-120 with a pellet pack
IMGP6654.jpg

The Turn
IMGP6655.jpg

Yeah!
IMGP6656.jpg

Adapting to an equipment failure
IMGP6657.jpg

RickB

Ricky found a Tri-Tip. Let’s get cooking.

Tri-Tip with Anasazi Beans and Spinach Salad.

Let’s season the Tri-Tip

IMG_0494.jpg

Make some croutons and start the beans

IMG_0496.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg

Doing a reverse sear on the tri-tip. On to Smoke

IMG_0497.jpg

Smoke to 100 and into the warm box. Crank the Mak and sear to 141.

IMG_0500.jpg

IMG_0502.jpg

Let’s plate it!

Tri-Tip with some Money

Anasazi Beans seasoned with onions and Bacon. Served with chives and sirachhi sauce.

Spinach salad with fresh blue cheese, roasted tomato’s , almonds and pecans and homemade croutons.

IMG_0504.jpg

Enjoy!

MossyMO

Pizza Sausage/Cajun Chicken Kabobs

Started with some chicken breast seasoned with a little cajun spice and a package of pizza sausage.

-----

For the veggies - red pepper, green pepper, yellow pepper, and red onion. All assembled and ready for the Yoder.

-----

Onto the Yoder at 150° for an hour with some smoking help from the tube - smoking with a 50/50 mix of cherry and apple.

-----

225° and the first basting of some pizza sauce.

-----

Ready to eat.

-----

Thanks for looking!

bflodan

Fathers Day Feast!

Decided to do a little bit of everything today.. Actually I turned on the MAK last night at 11:45 and it never shut down until about 6pm tonight.. Everything on the menu except for the cole slaw was cooked on the MAK.. Then menu consisted of Brisket Sandwiches, Pork Tenderloin, Burnt Ends, Beans, Corn and some Buffalo Chicken Dip!

Used a little Carolina Treet as glue and Money rubbed a Brisket. In the Fridge for the day..

IMG_6130.jpg

11:45 on the MAK on smoke for 3 hrs then bumped up to 225 until this morning..

IMG_6131.jpg

Pulled this morning at 155 and wrapped tight in foil.. Temp bumped to 250.. Pulled at about 201, separated the point and made burnt ends and let the flat rest until dinner..

IMG_6132.jpg

Pork tenderloin rubbed in a apple balsamic reduction and Money rub..

IMG_6133.jpg

A little Hot Buffalo Chicken Dip

IMG_6134.jpg

Dip is done!

IMG_6135.jpg

Everything is now coming off!

IMG_6138.jpg

IMG_6141.jpg

IMG_6142.jpg

Cont.....

Last edited:
Top Bottom