I think I've found the limits for cold weather Traegering

MN bbq shack

Cooked out tonight, it was 7 degrees. My Lil Tex took about 30 seconds for the fan to sound normal. moaning and squeaking.
but the pizza was excellent!

SilverBullet

It'll run Ok below that... But it won't be fun for the cook. ;)
Lil cold weather never stops me either!
GEDC0125.jpg

GEDC0537.jpg

Deb

this is my first winter cooking with the Lil Tex - i plan on cooking through the entire winter

Hey silverbullet -- do you think a gmg blanket would sit on a Lil Tex ? or is the shape too different?

Rip

It was ~15 and windy when I cooked Prime rib Saturday, no problem at 250 but could only get it up to about 428 for the reverse sear. I can see a blanket would cut down on pellet use and even out the temp swing....already smoking on a wood deck, a blanket would need to be fire proof.

SmokinMAK

About 27 degrees here. Got some fire bricks inside my MAK, and a welding blanket outside (it needs neither). Got 2 butts smoking and teh neighborhood gets to wake-up to the smell of my hickory smoke again. ;)

SilverBullet

this is my first winter cooking with the Lil Tex - i plan on cooking through the entire winter

Hey silverbullet -- do you think a gmg blanket would sit on a Lil Tex ? or is the shape too different?

That I couldn't tell ya. My GMG is the size of the Traeger 075 & I have the 070 (LIL Tex). So Its frugle for me to try. The GMG is shaped slightly different. Don't know if it would make that much of a difference. Have fo find someone with the same size & see if it will fit.

sparky

my son saw this thread and has already said to me "dad, you not giving me the lil tex w/out the fire bricks and the welding blanket, right?". kids. little pain in the @$$'s.

Corn n 'Q

I was out there with you jtrip. Had the GMG fired up and it was about 10 but felt like -10. She chugged along fine to cook the Sriracha chix wings nicely. Kept it in the garage for the cook for some rose bowl snacks. Man I love new years day and football, just wish it ended with the championship game like the good old days.

MN bbq shack

Cool idea, blanky for the grill.
Don't need it too much in my shack, but it could sure help to keep them temp even and save some pellets.
I noticed the dome thermo was about 50 degrees cooler than the digital, and the probes are only 2 ft apart.
maybe a blanky for the cook?!, I usually use beer. seems to work out ok

Rip

I hear ya CnQ! Sparky, looks like I'm going to have to source some fire bricks in the area, per google it looks like they are carried by a variety of stores with different intended uses...any recommendations?

Corn n 'Q

Jrip, I'm with you on the bricks, what kind of brick are we looking at? I'm also thinking about picking up the GMG 'blanket' which should do the trick. My dealer is over at Claxton Fireplace so I'll ask him to put in an order for me, they're great.

Top Bottom