MAK 1 Star General

MAK DADDY

BP's got #1

Well the MAK 1 Star grills are coming together and we have the first one ready to ship out on Monday. Looks like BP is going to have the beginning of an era :)

P1020262.jpg

This is the way they are packed inside the box, accessories will ship underneath the unit.
P1020263.jpg

Here is the assembly Bag with the manual, meat probe and casters.
P1020264.jpg

sparky

you know. whenever you have a child cigars are in order. i live in citrus heights so you can send my cigar here.

MAK DADDY

Thanks, child number 2 is here, now the fun begins working on number 3 ;)

Cigars would be fun, oh wait I don't smoke sorry...

mrbbq

But Mr BBQ does enjoy a good cigar! So let's light em up, while we're smoking up the backyards with our MAKS!!!

ht01us

One thing I wonder about as I see the pictures is that it seems pretty top heavy with a wide expanse between the 2 sets of side legs. I wonder if with the weight on top if things will stretch on the bottom and the legs will bend out on the bottom breaking off from the firebox and pellet hopper.

Now, I used a Mak 2 Star General and it was build like a tank so I know good materials are used; so maybe I'm just not seeing it right.

I think the optional bottom shelf would help.

So, early adopters, whadayathink?

SmokinMAK

HT01us - I wouldn't worry about it being top-heavy. I had the privilege of testing the prototype, and I have a new production model right now I am testing. At no time did this unit feel top heavy. The lid on this is lighter weight, and actually feels as though the center of gravity is lower than on the 2 Star. It is much lighter so it is much easier to move around. I do think the optional bottom shelf is a good idea, but more for storage than stability.

img_4185.jpg

I did a quick review on my blog, feel free to check it out. at http:\\smokinmak.wordpress.com

ht01us

That's good to hear; I thought my fears would be groundless; great to get confirmation. I can hardly wait until my local guy gets one.
I'll check the blog!

ht01us

I did a quick review on my blog, feel free to check it out. at http:\\smokinmak.wordpress.com

Nice review; I've been looking for exactly what you wrote up. I think the 1 Star will fit my purposes perfectly. A smoker that can handle at least a full brisket, or 2-3 pork butts, or a few racks of St. Louis ribs. I'll be keeping my gasser for grilling.

MAK DADDY

One thing I wonder about as I see the pictures is that it seems pretty top heavy with a wide expanse between the 2 sets of side legs. I wonder if with the weight on top if things will stretch on the bottom and the legs will bend out on the bottom breaking off from the firebox and pellet hopper.

Now, I used a Mak 2 Star General and it was build like a tank so I know good materials are used; so maybe I'm just not seeing it right.

I think the optional bottom shelf would help.

So, early adopters, whadayathink?

Actually the base of the grill is more stable than the 2 star due to the leg design being all the way to the outside. If you notice the construction on the legs they are not bolted onto the bottom of the body or hopper but are 1 pc making up that side of the body and hopper. The bottom shelf will not help stability, it doesn't bolt in either just sits on the leg supports for storage purposes. It's probably overkill with formed flanges tucked under and a full length stiffener down the middle but hey that's the MAK way :)

I actually like the design and stability of that part better and we may adopt some of these ideas on future models of the 2 Star.

Good questions!!

ht01us

I was pretty sure you had it figured out. Nice to hear the explanation. :)
As I've said, I'm looking forward to my local retailer to get one for me to lay my eyes on.

Top Bottom