Mak 4 Star

jmeitz

It's all relative, some people would say the same thing about paying 2,500 for a grill that is less than half the size. If it does more than 2 well made pellet grills in a single package then it's easily justifiable to folks who love to cook and need a large top of the line grill. I think you will be surprised at how many people will want something like this.

I agree, its all relative.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Jeremie It sort of has to be by virtue of the Stainless and size and features that we haven't told you about...It will be still priced signifigantly lower than a LYNX or Viking of similar size. I love that I can have 2,000 inches of smoking.

I dont believe that you will be able to cook one zone at 225 and one at 350 But I think that you will have a very very even cooking surface and you can do a two zone cooking with a hot side and a not so hot...the hot side would be flame zone and the not so hot zone a solid drip tray

jmeitz

so if you only were smoking a butt or brisket would you only use the one side? Wouldnt that cause it to burn more pellets cause it has to heat the whole area? or will it be that efficient that it would not matter? what will the top temp on that be? since its stainless now? is that the hopper on the front? About 40lbs capacity?

Big Poppa

Administrator
Jeremie I can only guess that there will be an increase in pellet burn but how much I dont know as it is insulated...The hopper is around 40 lbs. HOpper in the front...

HoDeDo

I would think you could use either side. No, I dont think it would burn more pellets, just for that reason. Once the pit is at temp, it would burn pellets at rate to maintain the temp. Being double walled it should be fairly efficient.

I can run my whole hog (1320 sq. in), that is NOT double walled off of a single pot, and get about 75-100 degrees difference end to end. Not being double walled, I burn alot of pellets that way, but only incrementally more per burn pot if I run it alone.

I think you will see some nice efficiency here... and more variability, I believe I read that you will be able to put the Flame zone direct plate in either side, so running one pot with that in place, and the other in more of a smoking mode, should give you some nice variability. I don't know how ambient pit temp will look side to side (with fans running, pit temp may even out)... BUT you will get additional infrared and radiant cooking from the side with the flame zone. Should be a great tool.

hawgsalot

Wow that's huge...

but I think it just took me out with the 5k pricetag for the built in smoker, in the outdoor kitchen. The thought of small cooks (3 or 4 racks) burning twice the pellets isn't appealing either. So anyway to get a 2star as a built in, if not I guess it's back to the Memphis.

MAK DADDY

Please remember that the 3 Star is still in development and a lot of these questions will be answered as we progress.
Think of it as a UFO sighting and have fun speculating but don't assume that will be reality :)

HoDeDo

but I think it just took me out with the 5k pricetag for the built in smoker, in the outdoor kitchen. The thought of small cooks (3 or 4 racks) burning twice the pellets isn't appealing either. So anyway to get a 2star as a built in, if not I guess it's back to the Memphis.

Note I said I only burn incrementally more in a non-doublewalled cooker... With this pit being double walled, and the fact you have variable speed fans running combustion, you might actually burn FEWER pellets. With the fan kicked down, and less feeding, may actually take less than a single to run a unit such as this. (Think about cars that have a v6 or v8 option.... where the highway mileage is the same... or similar -- the v6 is working alot harder (one pot), but the v8, is working less, with more.... so the amount of fuel used per cycle is slightly higher, but it requires alot less due to the output... (two pots). 1200 rpm vs. 2200 rpm, 1 pot full steam, vs. two variable pots. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out once this UFO lands :)

MAK DADDY

We have made a command decision (with some good advice from BP) to make this model the 4 Star General.
We will build a 3 Star as a similar unit but smaller both built in and cart.
I told you it was a UFO!

Big Poppa

Administrator
yes Bob You guys shouls have heard me begging....a 500 inch that is stainless and insulated and MAK goodness for about $2,999. thats the target
With the extra shelf it is a 1,000 inch cooker!

sparky

ohhhhhh......i was just thinking. i have yet to full up my mak with the top shelf. i am good. i love #336. she's my baby. wife thinks i am foolin around with a girl in the back yard. i am dear. she's my lovey. #336 smokes alot. makes sparky happy. :cool:

Last edited:

Eli Lawrence

Could not agree more with Big Poppy on his suggested size and price range --- Was kinda waiting for the 3 Star ( that I thought was only going to be a little larger than Big Poppys suggestion ) -- But with the 4 Star size and price are--- out of my needs and price range. So being I was waiting till winter broke ( which its doing ) will have to reconsider the other models of Mak , Green Mountain or the Yoder

hawgsalot

We have made a command decision (with some good advice from BP) to make this model the 4 Star General.
We will build a 3 Star as a similar unit but smaller both built in and cart.
I told you it was a UFO!

Bob,
When will the new smaller version of the 4star be available. I'm the one that we've discussed the built in via email last week. As you know I've got to make a purchase in the next 3 months for the new outdoor kitchen. Will my luck be with me and the new smaller 3star be available by let's say May? Heck I'll take a prototype rather than switch brands but I just can't get all the way to a 5,000sqin smoker. It's overkill for me and I don't really want to figure out a way to make a 2 star a built in.

Top Bottom