some boneless pork butts off the Ole Hickory Ace BP

IMG_5455-X2.jpg

Pellet smoking pot loaded and ready
IMG_5459-X2.jpg

IMG_5458-X2.jpg

Chicken for the Ace BP
IMG_5457-X2.jpg

IMG_5464-X2.jpg

Last week we did a brisket on the Ole Hickory Pits Ace BP. I took the point and chopped it up for burnt ends and put them in a ziploc bag and in the ice box. Took them out place on the MAK Grill for one hour on smoke then seperate added a little "Money" temp to 225 for a hour then sauced and cooked at 325 until done. ate a few the rest in the freezer to use in Beans'Greens etc.

IMG_5460-X2.jpg

IMG_5461-X2.jpg

IMG_5462-X2.jpg

IMG_5463-X2.jpg

Loving the Ole Hickory Pits Ace BP . Using pellets more for smoke because wood chunks and I haven't figured out amounts and where to place.We all know pellets work good! The chicken that comes off this unit at 225 is amazing. We haven't worked with getting the skin right etc. Just from package to the Ace BP with some rub.

For charcoal a full weber chimney is loaded (not lit) then we light a mini weber chimney and pour it in. Will get 3 hours of cook time no problem.

jimsbarbecue

It is a force draft system. It has two fans one is a convection fan that runs all the time and a blower to stoke the fire as needed. The crazy part is once it gets to temp the blower for the fire hardly ever runs. The door for the coals doors have vents in it. I would guess if needed you could control the fire with that when there is no electrical. Still amazed how little fuel it uses for the size. Each of the three shelves hold two full size catering pans with room around them. It cooks a few pieces of chicken as well as a two full racks of food (haven't done three full racks yet). Patty claims it makes the best slow cooked chicken we have ever made. To say the least still learning this unit and that is a positive thing!

Big Poppa

Administrator
ZI really enjoyed working with the Knight Family of ole Hickory or as I call them the Knights of Ole Hickory...This was designed to be a total comp cooker...but still be fabulous at home for cooks that need a little more capacity...we put the vents in the bottom in case contsets like King of the SMoker or Guinea Pig take off......Mike Mills cooked on the little ace with no power this year and it help temp like a champ!

jammin

Jim - can you share some details on how you cooked that chicken please? It looks so good I literally created an account so I could ask :)

jimsbarbecue

I wish I could tell you some secret recipe on the chicken. It is just whatever rub you like and cooked at 225 on the Ole Hickory Pits Ace BP.
The secret is the pit. it keeps a very constant temp without pumping air out of the pit like you would on a guru controlled pit. Check the chicken temp at 90 minutes and take off the done ones and leave the others another 15-20 minutes. The ones in the photo have 17th Street BBQ "Magic Dust" on them, Simply Marvelous "Sweet Seduction" with some Big Poppa Smokers "Money" rub is another flavor of rub we use and would recommend that first over the "Magic Dust". a lot of the time we pull back the skin and season the meat, pull the skin back on and season the skin. This way if the skin doesn't come out exactly how you like or have those who don't like skin, there is still flavor on the chicken you eating.

jimsbarbecue

Bargin Price

If you have thought about adding a Ole Hickory Pits Ace BP to your BBQ arsenal or Team . The price has been lowered $500 for the next two weeks.
$500 Bucks I don't know what Big Poppa is thinking because this is a great unit at the regular price

The more we cook on this the more we like it. The instructions are one page. It a nutshell it says add charcoal, set temp. cook, if cooking for a long time add more charcoal later.

jammin

^thanks for the reply, Jim.

I have a Memphis Select so I'm not sure I could get the same effect? I think if i cooked at that low of a temp, the chicken would dry out. I'm smoke'n some spares tomorrow or the next day so I'll throw some thighs in there too and see if I can get in the ballpark ;)

I'm used to cooking my chicken thighs at about 375* for an hour. Skin always comes out crispy and the meat is tender and juicy.

cheers
j

jimsbarbecue

We also cook chicken at higher temps on our MAK pellet grill. At the lower temp cooking on the Ole Hickory Pits Ace BP. You will not get the crisp skin you get at higher temps. We remove the skin before we eat the chicken.

Top Bottom