Smokeslinger's MAK2 Star build-in outdoor kitchen

scooter

I started this in another thread but felt it deserved its own thread. Here are the original pics with pics of the new progress added at the end.

My neighbor (smokeslinger) is building his MAK 2 Star into a custom island he's building himself. He posted this on another forum but I'm certain he won't mind if I repost it here. Along with his 2 Star he's building in gas burners, a 1400F searing grate, warming drawer, steam table and dual sinks with cold and hot running water and garbage disposal! It's an outdoor chefs dream kitchen!

Smokeslinger said:
This has been an adventure and its not over. I used two pieces of hardibacker mostly to make up the difference i needed. I had 1/4" and needed to make up another 1/2" for the height i wanted. So, thought outloud why dont i used a piec of 1/2" under the 1/4" and my friend Tom was w me said i hv one. So, there it is the heat proof bottom i needed. I need to add an extension to the grease drain and then cut a hole in the harderbacker. I will use the 4 lower mouting holes in the bottom of the MAK to secure to hardibacker. In these securing locations i will back the hardibacker with wood to gv the screws something solid to attach to. The intake air will have a 5" duct running from a vent under the counter to supply air to the fan motor. The outake is going to have something simular that i will fab in place(havnt completly figured this out yet, maybe a lil channnel that cover the boottom and sides and then releases the smoke up into the hood?). The front will finish w a custom stainless cover leaving an opening for the controls on the pellat boss. Still working my way through this so any questions or comments will really help!

Another thingy or 2...under the MAK will be 48" stainless cabinet doors that will allow me to change pellets and grease bucket. I dont think i will need the slide access cuz i shop vac the dust out but i did make an access for it. The screws on the bottom that hold the auger chamber in place have had four holes made in the hardibacker so the MAK sit flush

4buildinginMAK2.jpg

3builginginMAK2.jpg

buildinginMAK2.jpg

IMG_8453.jpg

Smokeslinger put the vent hood farther up on the roofline to get the vent sound as far away as possible

IMG_8455.jpg

IMG_8456.jpg

IMG_8457.jpg

IMG_8458.jpg

IMG_8460.jpg

Last edited:

scooter

Some more progress. More Hardibacker board went up.

IMG_8484.jpg

IMG_8483.jpg

skeeter, I told Smokeslinger today that you were interested in how he plans to install the ventilation for the induction fan so he just went ahead today and installed it! :) Here he's making room for the vent
IMG_8488.jpg

Forming the 6" ducting
IMG_8496.jpg

Installing the ducting
IMG_8501.jpg

He'll install a vent cover over the ducting end.
IMG_8498.jpg

The outdoor siding went up and got painted. The induction fan vent cover and the pavers installed.
IMG_8791.jpg

And the countertops went in

IMG_8792.jpg

IMG_8795.jpg

Last edited:

scooter

These pics were taken May 9th. Not done but getting closer!

Now the rest of the appliances have been put in place and the tile put in
IMG_8807.jpg

IMG_8812.jpg

IMG_8808.jpg

IMG_8811.jpg

IMG_8810.jpg

IMG_8809.jpg

Smokeslinger's fix for the greasepot issue
IMG_8813.jpg

IMG_8814.jpg

Induction fan ducting

IMG_8815.jpg

Last edited:

scooter

5/13/12: Bullnose brick topping the splash backing is installed. Only thing left is the facia Smokeslinger is putting in front of the MAK.

Smokeslinger in his new outdoor cookcenter with the bullnose splash topper intalled!

IMG_8816.jpg

IMG_8822.jpg

IMG_8824.jpg

IMG_8818.jpg

IMG_8826.jpg

NEW PICS! 8/9/12

New stainless steel cover for the front of the 2 Star.
IMG_9190.jpg

IMG_9193.jpg

SS cover is held on with two tabs on the front lip of the 2 Star.
IMG_9197b.jpg

Added a splash tray to the front. Held on with two screws. Lift up and away, it comes right off for cleaning.

IMG_9195.jpg

Last edited:

scooter

Continued from above (8/9/12).

PelletBoss access through the SS cover.

IMG_9192.jpg

FINAL PICS! 10/19/15

Here are the final pics of Smokeslinger's MAK 2 Star build-in outdoor kitchen

Last edited:

ACW3

WOW!!! That is really nice. I wish I had room for an outdoor kitchen. I'd probably have to move further south to have the weather to support that kind of venture.

Art

Tatonka3A2

To say I am jealous is an under statement!!

I would love to do something like this. I have all the room in the world for it but I don't think it would work well in ND winters. That, and the checkbook would probably say NO too. But WOW is that nice!!

smokeslinger

hello all,

this is smokeslinger...i hv been workin and workin hope to shoot the stuff on here more often . In regards to the winter thing all it takes is money lol a gas heater, storm door that drops down in extreme weather (may not make it usable) . this sort of thing is to not let the elements stop you! The HOOD has made all the difference and i added a small ceiling fan to create pos presure . The searing grill created a cloud because it isnt directly under the hood. i had to try everything out b 4 i got the ceiling fan installed but after realized it had to got up imediately! So, just 2 cooks in at this point. Had daughters bday party tonight. Cooked filets for the lil girls. Smokt til 110-114 IT rested/tented( as Scooter commanded me too) then seared the crud out of em 140ish then r/t again. Still working on my M O but YUM! So, next is the front of the 2 Star...going to put a removable stainless front on it...when its in ill hv Scoot come over and photo. If it turns out how i think it is you guys will filp out! Take care and thanks for the good words

Trooper

OH MY. Just abput passed out as I scrolled through the photo's. Certainly the envy of every outdoor chef.
As a MAK owner (like you Scooter) who has had to do maintenance, changing igniters etc., - will it be difficult to get the MAK out of there to do tasks like this? It does seem like maintenance would be quite a chore and would shut the smokin down for some time.

roburado

This thread has me fantasizing big-time. Last night, my fiancee and I were talking about some kind of enclosure for the grill with a hood over it. Funny that I saw this thread today--after that discussion.

scooter

will it be difficult to get the MAK out of there to do tasks like this?

Not too bad. The MAK slides in and out once you get the rivets on the bottom out of the holes made in the hardibacker board put there to allow the MAK to sit flat on the hardibacker.
It really depends on how Smokeslinger designs the facia that will cover up the front of the MAK. How easy/tough it is to remove/replace the facia will determine how easy/tough it is to get the MAK out of there.

Top Bottom