Smoking Salt

RickB

Was thinking about smoking some salt and during my research these salt flakes were mentioned frequently. Has anyone used these? they are produced in the UK and I've read the unique shape of the crystals are ideal for smoking.

IMG_2199_zpsd0fba8f2.jpg

KristenBPS

Interesting. Leave it to you Rick to switch things up. The only smoked salt I have had was on amazing caramels by Woodhouse Chocolate.

RickB

What a great idea! Please let me know how it turns out. Also, are you cold smoking?

tbone

As cold as I can get. Will put in the Mak warming drawer on smoke setting on a cold morning. Works great with cheese so salt should not be a problem.

TrickyDick

Let us know how it works. I've been wanting to figure a way for doing steak in the nifty sous vide immersion circulator, but with some added smoke flavor. I've been using S&P and/or seasoning rubs & tried some fresh garlic in the pouch. I think smoked salt would add a nice touch, but maybe even a small dose of cold smoke directly on the meat would be nice.

TD

RickB

Let us know how it works. I've been wanting to figure a way for doing steak in the nifty sous vide immersion circulator, but with some added smoke flavor. I've been using S&P and/or seasoning rubs & tried some fresh garlic in the pouch. I think smoked salt would add a nice touch, but maybe even a small dose of cold smoke directly on the meat would be nice.

TD

Great minds think alike. I have found heavy rubs to be overpowering with sous vide. I am looking for a way to add that "hint" of smoke to dishes that I have found hard to do. But I am looking beyond sous vide. The round up is going to be Orange, Hickory, Cherry and Apple. I think that should cover most of the bases. The orange with delicate fish, cherry with game fowl, apple and hickory with pork and beef. Just fun to play around.

jimsbarbecue

I smoked a bunch last year. The medium size sea salt worked the best. Did mine in the MAK Super smoker box. Used frog mats with cheese cloth. Every hour you need to mix it up a little. The salt will color up as it takes smoke. When you mix and find all the same color it is done..

RickB

I smoked a bunch last year. The medium size sea salt worked the best. Did mine in the MAK Super smoker box. Used frog mats with cheese cloth. Every hour you need to mix it up a little. The salt will color up as it takes smoke. When you mix and find all the same color it is done..

What wood did you use? And do you find it is worth the effort? Did you find you used the smoked salt more often than plain?

Saxguy

Great minds think alike. I have found heavy rubs to be overpowering with sous vide. I am looking for a way to add that "hint" of smoke to dishes that I have found hard to do. But I am looking beyond sous vide. The round up is going to be Orange, Hickory, Cherry and Apple. I think that should cover most of the bases. The orange with delicate fish, cherry with game fowl, apple and hickory with pork and beef. Just fun to play around.

You could use one of those little smoke guns to infuse some somke flavor both before or after sous vide.

RickB

Ok it was cold tonight so got some smoke going on.

First batch orange.

IMG_2216_zps72bc6a47.jpg

Bought some jars for the salt

IMG_2219_zps819895d6.jpg

Before the smoke

IMG_2224_zpse951a2b0.jpg

After the smoke

IMG_2229_zpsed108810.jpg

Smells great! Can't wait to try it.

scooter

I use smoke salt on my eggs in the morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while driving one handed!

scooter

Also with pepper on sliced fresh tomatoes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while driving one handed!

RickB

Put some clear labels off the printer on the bottles and my wife suggested they would make great Christmas gifts for my foodie friends. Great idea. going to package a set of three with different flavors for gifts. Cost less that $20.

IMG_2234_zps9426631f.jpg

TrickyDick

Great idea for a low cost and personal gift! I'm wondering how the Jack Daniel's flavor would be. Where'd you source the inexpensive containers? Oh and how long did you smoke for? I'm going to have to use the tube smoker below probably. (I wonder if you could HOT smoke salt though if it really matters since its inorganic) Did you use coffee filters of cheesecloth or some other method?

Thanks!

TD

Last edited:

RickB

Great idea for a low cost and personal gift! I'm wondering how the Jack Daniel's flavor would be. Where'd you source the inexpensive containers? Oh and how long did you smoke for? I'm going to have to use the tube smoker below probably. (I wonder if you could HOT smoke salt though if it really matters since its inorganic) Did you use coffee filters of cheesecloth or some other method?

Thanks!

TD

Amazon for the jars and the salt. Smoked on the Mak on smoke settting in warming box for three hours. Just a half sheet pan with parchment paper.

Top Bottom