Traeger and GMG Owners Speak up..lets talk

Phrett Bender

I'm a GMG fan and to me Traegers are great in that they were the first pellet grills to make a name for themselves and got the p[ellet grill interest spiked. They have been the source of many persons start in this area and still are. However, I'm glad I didn't buy a Traeger! I don't want to deal with big temp swings, I don't want to learn complicated "P" settings and try to adapt a cook to them, and I want a controller that measures grate temps and ambient temps and adjusts fan speed and auger feed rates to keep my set temp where it is, whether it's 10° ambient temps or 25mph winds. The GMG does that, Traeger does not. So although Traeger has changed many lives just being what it is, I'm glad I didn't begin my pellet journey at 1st or 2nd generation technology but got in at at least the 3rd level. Now with meat pobes and remote temp adjustments I feel a bit out of the "current" loop, but still know I am way ahead of the "p" mode!

Big Poppa

Administrator
All of that stuff is great and believe me its what I chose to use but I would have no problem cooking anything for anyone on my original lil tex or my 124's I used to have

Deb

While I have posted that my next grill will not be a Traeger - I do love love my Traeger and produce some awesome food out of it. Like Squirt when I get my next grill I will probably still keep my Traeger (or give it to my son who is in college)

Phrett, I'd go up against you or any MAK or Memphis owner and not feel like I would have a disadvantage except for maybe very high heat. I wouldn't have the probes, etc but in the end I bet I could produce food that was as good. I have only had mine for 6 or 7 months but my personal feeling is that the p-setting is overtalked. Mine are inside the controller so I rarely change them and it's worked out so far.

SilverBullet

Like many here My Traeger changed my life. It opened up a whole new world of cooking for me! Yet I have a special love/hate relationship with mine. For about the first year it performed flawlwssly. Then, (to make a long story short) It broke down so many times Traeger finally ended up sending me a whole new burn unit for it. Which led me to purchasing a GMG. Which has not been perfect either. I had rust issues with it & a stainless lid warp in just 6 months of owning it. GMG customer service is second to none! Traegers customer service is very good as well! But man can this thing cook!! I love the way this grill chugs along.
If anyone were to ask me which one I would rather cook off of, It would be hands down the GMG. Even though they both are capable of cooking an excellent meal. The GMG really shines with its controller. The 5 degree incriment settings. The way it holds its temp, the extra features it offers.
Boy I tell ya, it sure does burst your bubble when your such a firm beliver in a product and things go wrong. I can say that about both grills. My Traeger is temporaly living with my Daughter in law. She's been having fun with it. She loves cooking & baking on it!
I would like to share a story. Please don't be offended by it!
My other Passion is riding Maxi Scooters. I own three of them. While one day shareing a lunch with one of my riding buddies. He knows how much I love my pellet cooking. I was shareing with him the problems I've had with both grills. I said, " You know that I would not ride a Chinese scooter, (Because of reliability issues,) What made me think a grill would be any different?" I chuckled.
We all live by our choices. Bottom line is I love both my grills and am grateful to have them. And its going to be a while before I buy another. Life is good!:)

Phrett Bender

I don't mean to knock any cooker, whether it was someone's choice to purchase or something they acquired down the road. I bought mine for my own reasons just like someone else did, and even though they may be different we can each be happy with what we have. I'd also be happy with any cooker, just so I had one! I'm a firm believer that the cooker does not make the food any better or worse and great things can be made on any one of them. We do see certain ones show up more frequently in comps and such, but I think that's the result of experience on the part of the pitmasters knowing what is easier to use and cooks consistently each time. Using the same meat, same seasonings, same pellets, same times/temps, etc. on 5 different cookers, I don't think there is anyone who could identify which pit cooked which item. I'm starting to seriously look for a second grill and like the MAK for it's controller and different options in settings, just personal preference in features, I guess.

Pigstar

Have a Treager 075 owned it for about 6 months and love it. No problems as of yet. Purchased for brand recognition.

Ghenghis

Glad to see this thread taking off.

For many numerous reasons, I will probably follow in Pigstars footsteps and get the Traeger 075. They're giving me a hell of a deal. They will eat the shipping, and throw in one of the digital controllers.

That will at least get me into a pellet smoker as soon as possible, and have the grill area I will need for some of the BBq competitions I hope to join in over the summer.

Phrett, With them throwing in the higher model temp controller, will that cover the temp swings you discussed? Were you relating to the old Traeger 3 speed controllers?

Squirt, Thanks mucho for the pics!!! AS soon as I have smoker "in hand", I will begin work on my own hopper extension, and internal racks. Those are more than in my purview to make/assemble. I have access to all the stainless steel I could want. And the machinery to fabricate them.

Love this site!!! Keep smokin' all!!

Phrett Bender

I'm only repeating some of the comments Traegers owners have posted re: temp swings with a digital controller. Talk to other Traeger owners since some seem to leave their "P" settings alone and other seem to be always tweeking them for better control. The "P" settings adjust the on/off times for the auger. I can only speak firsthand about my GMG and the steady temps it keeps. GMG controllers vary auger speeds and fan speeds to keep a temp steady. Other grills rely on on/off cycles for the auger and are less responsive to the temp at the grate. All the grills will cook excellent food, and seeing, cooking on, and speaking with persons from other grill makers (Memphis, Woodmaster, FE) I would not hesitate to own any of them. The 075 is a nice unit that is about the size of the GMG Jim Bowie. The new GMG model has a meat probe, remote temp control ability, and a great rebate towards GMG merchandise/upgrades. All that is meaningless if one likes Traegers better or they can get a better deal. I don't think you would be disappointed with any of them, I know I wouldn't!

SilverBullet

Ghenghis
I own both a Traeger & a GMG. Let me tell you, you will have the temp swings with their digital controller. The GMG offers SO MUCH MORE & is so much more advanced in its tecnology. Knowing what I know today I would easily sacrifice a couple days of smoking to wait on a GMG over the Traeger. Don't take me wrong. I'm not knocking Traeger. I'm only talking from experience.
As Phrett said they will both cook you a fine dinner. The GMG is just a superior product for the same money. Plus with the things their throwing in, It makes it an even more attractive buy.

Roguejim

I'm only repeating some of the comments Traegers owners have posted re: temp swings with a digital controller. Talk to other Traeger owners since some seem to leave their "P" settings alone and other seem to be always tweeking them for better control. The "P" settings adjust the on/off times for the auger. I can only speak firsthand about my GMG and the steady temps it keeps. GMG controllers vary auger speeds and fan speeds to keep a temp steady. Other grills rely on on/off cycles for the auger and are less responsive to the temp at the grate. All the grills will cook excellent food, and seeing, cooking on, and speaking with persons from other grill makers (Memphis, Woodmaster, FE) I would not hesitate to own any of them. The 075 is a nice unit that is about the size of the GMG Jim Bowie. The new GMG model has a meat probe, remote temp control ability, and a great rebate towards GMG merchandise/upgrades. All that is meaningless if one likes Traegers better or they can get a better deal. I don't think you would be disappointed with any of them, I know I wouldn't!

What are these wild temperature swings associated with the Traegers? I've only been at this for 2 years, but I haven't experienced these temp swings with my 075 Elite, I don't think. Also, what are "P" settings?

That's a nice passel of guitars you have there, but do you own a '59 Fender Tweed Deluxe? Hee, hee...

Big Poppa

Administrator
Rougue I dont a have a 59 but have about 20 tweeds. I collect old Fender amps....Love them.

Back to topic. I never played around with my P settings. I wasnt as concerned with the swings as I was with an average cooking temp. Sometimes the swings were pretty drastic but the food always came out great. I found friends that were really concerned with the swings put firebricks in the unit and that helped them get hotter and leveled out the swings...the two main complaints on a Traeger

The interesting thing is that when we set the oven to 325 in the house when it hits 325 that is what the display says...so you think it is. It has swings just like your pellet cooker. Any heat source has to have a heat curve. If they showed actual on home ovens people would be obsessed with temp. I would love to show someone what your oven at home would look like on a stoker.

With pellet cooking I always noticed that the bigger the swings the more the smoke. MAK intentionally gives about a 5 degree swing intentionally to increase the smoke.

squirtthecat

I tinker with the P settings on my 070 - just to get the average temps dialed in. Notice I said average - I measure the top and bottom ° of the 'swing' and toss them out.

BP is dead on about house ovens. Most thermostats (and pellet grill controllers) are just 'Bang Bang' switches. Bang, they go on when the temperature drops below a set point. Bang, they go off when it reaches 'x' degrees higher. It's just a wild guess and auger motor timings to get it right in the range you want it at.

If you want extremely accurate temps, you'd need something like a PID controller. (technical details here)

FLBR, Deb, Nepas and myself all have these on our Bradley electric smokers.

Most likely, some of the higher end pellet grills have this (or something very similar) built into their controllers.

A big old pork shoulder isn't going to notice a 15-20° change in temperature.

Summer Sausage? Yes - it will notice.. You'll go from smoked sausage at 170° to baked sausage at 190° - and the fat will start to break down. Not pretty.

danl

Regarding temp swings: I keep my p setting at P-0. I have removed the restrictor rod in the auger. I get swings of 20* either way on the digital readout, but an oven thermometer at grate level stays spot on. If I'm cooking at 225* it stays there no matter what the digital is reading.

I think there needs to be hotter air introduced to the chamber as the temp drops. The hotter air from the digital is what keeps the average temp in the chamber.

squirtthecat

I loaded a bunch of firebrick in the bottom of my Traeger, and it helps flatten out the swings.

My MAK has a variable speed fan - I'm sure that is how they control the pit temperatures.

SilverBullet

Lets back down the sales and talk about the cookers! Thanks
Pardon Me! I didn't think I was selling anything. I was only offering my experiences from owning both grills.
This thread is about GMG/Traeger chat?
I don't think this board is for me if I'm not allowed to speak freely in a thread thats directed toward products I own.

Last edited:

Big Poppa

Administrator
Silver please dont be so sensitive...I want you to talk about the grills....If we could leave the special offers stuff out...... and it wasnt just you....Relax and tell us all about it You have experience.

Top Bottom