What's this new heat diffuser and flame zone?

MAK DADDY

If we own the original 2star. What wuld be th reasons to upgrade to the new version? Is there a target type of cook that this benefits more? Need to jusify the money, i was going to get a marinate express :)

The main reason would be to use the full grill surface for direct heat (Flame Zone) cooking for steaks, burgers, chops etc.

MAK DADDY

Does the new diffuser help with the hot spots on the outer edges, front and back, of the 2 star?

The heat still has to travel from the lower section to the grill area (Top) freely and "indirect" is around the food vs. underneath it.
So yes the far edges where you see those obround slots is where the heat comes from, pushed by the fan to create the convection cooking/smoking we all love. The main focus was to capture the grease by omitting the "Gap" like the old style.

That said we did extensive testing and designing and testing and designing and testing (you get the point, we did it so many times I couldn't type them all) to create an even cooking surface all around, especially on the Flame Zone pan which was the most difficult. We even created a new emboss to funnel the heat better like a volcano and we torched many a biscuits! Hey a new name "MAK Grills Volcano Zone" I like it :)

KyNola

I'll be more than happy to report back on this bad boy as one of the 2012 2 Star models is making it's way to my house as we speak. Ask me if I am a happy guy right about now.

Rip

I'll be more than happy to report back on this bad boy as one of the 2012 2 Star models is making it's way to my house as we speak. Ask me if I am a happy guy right about now.

Congrats! I look forward to your report.

Kenneil

Our new 2012 MAK 2 Star will arrive on Monday the 27th in SW Georgia. (Cairo, Ga) This will be our first pellet grill. We're getting excited! I'll let you know how it goes.

MAK DADDY

KyNola, Are you a happy guy right now? :)

Kenneil, welcome to the MAK Family! We will be in your State next week for the HPBexpo.

Kenneil

Thanks MAK DADDY

Were about 6 hours from Atlanta, clearly a lot closer than Oregon but will be tied up at a retriever field trial that weekend. Hope to have another opportunity to meet you in the future.

KyNola

#829 arrived at my house Monday. Yesterday I did a seasoning burn in on it. Weather has prevented me from test driving this beast but I can tell you one thing already. All of the components of the removable drip tray system are built from really heavy gauge material. Another thing I can tell you is this beast gets hot and it gets hot fast!

etriv1

The heat still has to travel from the lower section to the grill area (Top) freely and "indirect" is around the food vs. underneath it.
So yes the far edges where you see those obround slots is where the heat comes from, pushed by the fan to create the convection cooking/smoking we all love. The main focus was to capture the grease by omitting the "Gap" like the old style.

That said we did extensive testing and designing and testing and designing and testing (you get the point, we did it so many times I couldn't type them all) to create an even cooking surface all around, especially on the Flame Zone pan which was the most difficult. We even created a new emboss to funnel the heat better like a volcano and we torched many a biscuits! Hey a new name "MAK Grills Volcano Zone" I like it :)

my questions are these: you mentioned the slots around the edges of the 2012 grill, and how they allow for the convection of heat, but for those of us with older grills, without the slots, will we still have the same amount of convection if we upgrade to the new pans and diffuser? Hopefully you have not already addressed this question and I have missed it. Other than all of the stainless, and the new flame zone and diffuser, the first big thing that I noticed was all of those beautifully machined slots around the outside of the grilling surface.... how will the older models be able to convect the heat with the new pans, etc, but minus the slots?

etriv1

We think its pretty innovative :) The new design fits into the body cavity and eliminates the gap where grease could drip into the body of the grill allowing more cooking space. The flame zone pan covers virtually the entire surface with direct heat and the blank pan creates the all indirect cooking ability. We worked on this for over a year (more testing and protos than anything we have designed so far) to get it right, I know you guys will love it!
MSRP 299.99 for both the 1 Star and 2 Star models, should be available around the middle of March.

The 2012 2 Star comes with this configuration standard.

2 Star photos below, 1 Star is similar just a different size.

IMG_9475.jpg

IMG_9473.jpg

IMG_9441.jpg

IMG_9452.jpg

l am looking at all of the changes and amazing engineering/machining that has gone into the 2012... amazing work. It is so great to see so much R&D and craftsmanship going into your equipment. I know that this sounds strange, but I would almost enjoy cleaning this sucker as much as I would cooking and eating!

KyNola

My apologies for being late getting back to this party but let me assure you those slots around the drip pan assembly coupled with the new heat diffuser on the 2012 model of the MAK 2 Star does exactly what Bob says it will do. The heat distribution is excellent. You have to experience the new pan assemblies and diffuser to appreciate how innovative the MAK is.

sparky

any word yet on when the new drip pans will be available? my 1 star and 2 star are getting alot of grease on the bottom. its icky to clean up.

MAK DADDY

We should have them ready in a few days :)
The configuration has been changed slightly to a flame zone pan with 2 covers that can be removed, used separately or together.
Best of all MAK worlds, all blank, all flame zone, half flame zone, 2/3 flame zone etc. We even made a tool to move them around :)

Bob

Top Bottom