Wifes Birthday - Ribs

fishingbouchman

After last weekends 1st rib attempt (that was a huge success with me and the kids) the wife decided I would be cooking ribs for all her friends on her birthday. They came out pretty darn good but were not as good as the 1st slab I made. Wondering if the 1st slab was as good as I remember it or if it just hit the spot and I thought it tasted better than it actually was...

Started off taking some pictures and wanted to put together a nice slide show but the cook took longer than expected and by the time they were ready I didn't have time for any other pictures. The crowd was growing restless.

Do you have to alter your timing when cooking one slab vs 2, 3, or more slabs? I was shooting for the same timing as the 1st attempt but it took a good 30 minutes longer.

TentHunter

A 30 minute difference in ribs is not unusual at all.

It could have been many things; the size/thickness of the ribs, the amount of meat, ambient temp & wind conditions...

RickB

After last weekends 1st rib attempt (that was a huge success with me and the kids) the wife decided I would be cooking ribs for all her friends on her birthday. They came out pretty darn good but were not as good as the 1st slab I made. Wondering if the 1st slab was as good as I remember it or if it just hit the spot and I thought it tasted better than it actually was...

Started off taking some pictures and wanted to put together a nice slide show but the cook took longer than expected and by the time they were ready I didn't have time for any other pictures. The crowd was growing restless.

Do you have to alter your timing when cooking one slab vs 2, 3, or more slabs? I was shooting for the same timing as the 1st attempt but it took a good 30 minutes longer.

Quality, thickness and quantity will always make a difference in cook times. And never forget, if your looking you aint cooking.

sparky

i had a side job where i was cooking alot of ribs on fri, sat & sun. i tried to pick ribs the same size. little ribs go into one mak, medium in another and big ones in #336. everyone dressed up and in the boat at the same time. when the dance is over everyone off at the same time. you have to be way organized though. always thinking 2 steps ahead.

fishingbouchman

So are you cooking the different size ones at different temps? If they all go on at the same time and temp why would it matter about size?

sparky

So are you cooking the different size ones at different temps? If they all go on at the same time and temp why would it matter about size?

same temp for everything. small racks that are in one mak come off first. medium racks come off next and so on. the big old racks come off last. i use the toothpick test and pull back of the bones to determine doneness. we cool? i hope that helps. :)

Top Bottom