1st shot at a Tri Tip

JimmyDings

Greetings all:

Planning on cooking two 2 1/2 lb tri tips on sunday.

Going to cook on the Mak 2 star at 250 for a desired "it" of 135
Using TentHunters idea of Oak/Mesquite pellet mix till my BPS order of Black Walnut order arrives.
(also ordered my marinade express from BPS today..gotta try that) TY BP for making your site so easy to order from!

Any ideas on how long I might expect the cook time to be?

Additionally, would an hour or 2 of cold smoking make it better before I run the temp up to 250?

Thanks in advance, Jim aka JimmyDings

Last edited:

So Cal Smoker

Jimmy you're going to have a blast with that Marinade Express. You can marinade just about any meat or foul, ribs, shrimp, anything you want to impart more flavor to. Have fun.

smoker pete

It takes me 2½ hours to do a Tri-Tip when I SMOKE (180º) for an hour and then bump the temp to 225ºF till I hit an IT of 145ºF. I then rest it under a foil tent for 20 minutes before slicing. So for me it's a total of 3 hours from start to finish ... An hour of Smoke, 1½ hours @ 225ºF and 20 minutes foil tent. My guess is that @ 250º you'll cut that time down a bit plus you'll pulling it at an IT of 135º. Here's what it might looks like :D

FagundesTriTip3.jpg

So Cal Smoker

You can buy marinades but half the fun is mixing your own. Experiment with different flavor profiles and keep a book on the mixes you make. Good luck and good mixing Jimmy. Oh, try marinading a Tri-Tip I thing you'll like it.

CarterQ

What BP said you can't go wrong going that route, and remember to slice against the grain. Good luck and take pics.

JimmyDings

ok crazy question.....on the shelf?....does that mean the upper rack?
and 145?...wouldnt that be more med than med. rare?

For future reference........when people say smoke for an hour? is that in the main chamber on a 2 star? or in the warming box?

one last ?.....why against the grain?....that one I am really curious about...should all meats be cut that way?

thanks in advance, jimmydings

Last edited:

CarterQ

ok crazy question.....on the shelf?....does that mean the upper rack?
and 145?...wouldnt that be more med than med. rare?

Yes the upper rack, or shelf, is what they are referring to. At 145 it is leaning more towards the medium side. Tri tips have more connective tissues than your more premium cuts so a tri tip at 130 will be red inside but it will also be chewy, taking it to medium will give a pink color but it will be super tender. Same reason you may take a brisket all the way to 205.

For future reference........when people say smoke for an hour? is that in the main chamber on a 2 star? or in the warming box?

Main chamber with the grill set to "SMOKE"

one last ?.....why against the grain?....that one I am really curious about...should all meats be cut that way?

The more muscular cuts like tri tip, brisket, flank steak etc. have thicker fibers. Cutting across the fibers (grain) shortens them minimizing their toughness. Cutting with the grain yields long tough fibers. Cuts like new yorks and filets have very fine fibers so cutting across the grain really doesn't matter much.

Here is a great discussion on why to cut across the grain-

The Food Lab: Slicing Meat Against the Grain | Serious Eats

Hope that helps, can't wait to see how they come out!

Last edited:
Top Bottom