1st shot at a Turkey

JimmyDings

Ok people's......could use opinions for this one.....1st Turkey on the Mak 2star and I have some concerns

13 lb Turkey

I understand internal temp to be 165 in the breast and 180-182 in the thigh.

Was going to cook on the 2 Star at 250
Should I use the smoke setting before hand to get more smoke on the meat?
Ideas on how long?
Unstuffed bird, should I leave the cavity open?

Any ideas what flavors really make a Turkey stand out?.......was thinking half hickory and half cherry......input?

Was think should take about 5 hours....does this sound correct?

Any opinions would be appreciated
Thanks in advance, Jim aka JimmyDings

PS: Thanks a million Tent for the JD Pork assistance,

FLBentRider

That sounds close, might be done a little sooner. I go for 165 in the thigh. I used Hickory the last time I did one. If the bird is not already "enhanced" I would brine it. I use:
# 1 gallon hot water
# 1 pound kosher salt
# 2 quarts vegetable broth
# 1 pound honey
# 1 (7-pound) bag of ice
Combine the hot water and the salt in a 54-quart cooler. Stir until the salt dissolves. Stir in the vegetable broth and the honey. Add the ice and stir. Place the turkey in the brine, breast side up, and cover with cooler lid.. Brine overnight, up to 12 hours.

Remove the turkey from the brine and dry thoroughly. Rub the bird thoroughly with your favorite rub.

TentHunter

I like spatchcocking birds because they come out very moist without brining and cook in a little more than half the time (I just don't care for the extra salt from brining, but that's me and then again I go low salt on everything).

My favorite wood smoke is Apple. Cherry is right up there too and an apple/cherry combo would also be great. Apple will give the bird a Chestnut brown color and Cherry will give it a Mahogany color, very beautiful and tasty either way.

Deb

my favorite wood for turkey is cherry

I'll be spatchcocking my turkey this year

I go to 165 in the thigh

squirtthecat

I do a lot of turkey breasts (we don't care much for the dark meat and carcass overhead here), and I like to take them to about 158° and then tent & rest for a while. They'll cruise past 160° and be nice and juicy when you cut into them.

JimmyDings

Taking those numbers into consideration, what temp might the breast be? Easier for me to check, as I hate to admit, but have always felt uncomfortable about knowing if I was checking the thigh properly.

Thanks all for the input, you people's are truly awesome!

smoker pete

The MAK 2 Star is perfect for a 12 - 16 lb Turkey JimmyDings. You can easily stand it up or Spatchcock it.

This was a 12 lb bird standing up on SMOKE for an hour then bumped temp to 325ºF using Apple till IT on the breast hit ~ 165ºF (Hickory, Pecan & Cherry work great too).

turkey2.jpg

Here's a 14 lb spatchcock Turkey ... Setpoint on SMOKE for 1½ hours with Apple then bumped to 325ºF.

Turkey5.jpg

BigSuhr

First Spatchcocked Turkey HELP
Family likes Crispy skin of course
20lb is what I have to work with fresh Turkey

Mak 2 star general (new)
I have the upper racks...
What should I do? Skin side up or down?
Lower or Rack or upper?
Cover plates or not?
Anyway to catch the juices or just let them run in to the bucket?
275 until done?
Thanks!

dpom

Hey smoker pete good to see you on here again,have been scanning your site getting ideas for future cooks.

RickB

I'm with BP and Squirt. Take the breast temp to. At least 160. Depending on the size of the bird will determine your carryover. 165 after rest about perfect. Also 250 will make the skin a little rubbery. 275 at least and at 20 min a pound your there. Pull at 160-162

HogSmoker

That sounds close, might be done a little sooner. I go for 165 in the thigh. I used Hickory the last time I did one. If the bird is not already "enhanced" I would brine it. I use:
# 1 gallon hot water
# 1 pound kosher salt
# 2 quarts vegetable broth
# 1 pound honey
# 1 (7-pound) bag of ice
Combine the hot water and the salt in a 54-quart cooler. Stir until the salt dissolves. Stir in the vegetable broth and the honey. Add the ice and stir. Place the turkey in the brine, breast side up, and cover with cooler lid.. Brine overnight, up to 12 hours.

Remove the turkey from the brine and dry thoroughly. Rub the bird thoroughly with your favorite rub.

Question if I may ask? I have never did the brine process but would like too try it. WHat does the brine do is it for flavor or tenderness / juiciness ? Thanks

Axman

This is also my 1st attempt at a turkey but ill be using a lil tex. ill be doing 2-13lb birds so All the info I can find is 275 at 20 mins a pound. So I'm lookin at 4.5hr cook time right? Sorry if it seems like a dumb question.

Pappymn

This is also my 1st attempt at a turkey but ill be using a lil tex. ill be doing 2-13lb birds so All the info I can find is 275 at 20 mins a pound. So I'm lookin at 4.5hr cook time right? Sorry if it seems like a dumb question.

Go on temp and not time. 160 degrees in the middle of the breast. I think your plan sounds pretty close.

Pappymn

Question if I may ask? I have never did the brine process but would like too try it. WHat does the brine do is it for flavor or tenderness / juiciness ? Thanks

I love the brine. Get some flavor, but don't waste money on fancy adds to the brine. Water, salt, sugar, and whatever else you have in the house. Bay leaves are good. Brine is great for all poultry and pork too. Really good with pork. Adds great moisture.

Top Bottom