24 Hours at the American Royal

Chili Head

Those hot air balloons are called Chinese wishing lanterns. We take them to the NASCAR races and other events. They always draw a crowd 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rip

Part 8 - The 24 hours are just about up!

A couple of observations here...this event is huge! You really need more than one day to take it in. There were several parts of the grounds I never made it to and many more only got a one time walk through. In some ways it's like the worlds largest "family" reunion with tens of thousands of visitors! Hats off to anyone who can immerse themselves in this and stay focused on their cooks.

I spend the next few hours hanging out at SOW's corner location chatting and watching this event flow by. BP drops by for a short visit, a rare foray off the ranch for him. Yeah I know, where's the pics! Frankly, I think I was on a short break. Ok, this happened and I got a couple of shots...several times this group of 15 or so costumed renaissance folks strolled by...I don't know why they were there or what if anything else they did, but they were interesting. Maybe Andy or Kim can fill us in.
IMG_1189sm.jpg

IMG_1190sm.jpg

Brad and Joe show up, and were off to tour the dark side.
Apologies in advance about the crappy night shots.
IMG_1177sm.jpg

IMG_1178sm.jpg

This fire truck had the rear end converted into a large smoker.
IMG_1179sm.jpg

Here's the chandelier again, most of the places I showed pics of earlier were packed to overflowing. The first place Andy wanted to stop at was SRO.
IMG_1195sm.jpg

We finally make it to the HoDeDo site (the original HoDeDo's where Andy grew up) the party was winding down there but the signs were still lit.
IMG_1197sm.jpg

IMG_1198sm.jpg

We scored some beers and chatted with 'Gator'...damned if the stupid camera didn't get 'stuck' in my pocket again....must be getting tired! Then it was time to go back, Andy needed to get the big meats on and the Brad and Joe had fires to tend.

All loaded and ready to go!
IMG_1199sm.jpg

More socializing, Night Guy and dozens of others stopped by to socialize and next thing we knew it was time to trim chicken...hey look at this, we're 30 minutes ahead of our pace at the Big Blue BBQ!
IMG_1200sm.jpg

So Andy cranked on some music and I kept him company while the scissors flew...interrupted only by the Moo Cow guys playing a practical joke on us...they are too funny! By 3am I was hitting the sack, last thing I heard was Andy announcing rib prep at 0530. Ok, I heard the alarm, with one eye I watched Andy march past several times....but I gotta confess, it was almost 8 before this cowboy got out of bed....next time Andy, I promise! (hey, I was up before George!)

By 0830 I was on the road home...thanks again to Kim, Andy, and Sterling for putting up with me...AMERICAN ROYAL, You just need to go!! Next time, all weekend!!

Big Poppa

Administrator
Thanks so much Rip I sort of felt like I was a crummy host as we were all trying to figure out how to approach our first royal...I never left our site to even check out the dark side except to drop in on kim and andy and the next night check out plowboys trailer....I was trying to hit the hay and at midnight Chris Lilly comes by, then Scott from Swine assassins..(they are a top 5 team and use double secret on their brisket) and Scott is a great guy and tons of fun....then I think I can sneak off and Todd Johns (plowboy) drops in and we have a great chat...just a great person....

I reflect on Starting this at 55 and a lot of my friends questioned why I would start yet another business and dive deep in...I dont have a lot of time even before this (you can probably tell by my posting times...rip asked me when I slept) I did it because you should always test yourself and expand your horizons...I have to thanks Jody and Brad and Joe for starting the team.....We are very very lucky to have been welcomed with such open arms by these people....from the great small family teams to the likes of Kim and Andy Todd Johns....Chris Lilly, Tuffy Stone (there is just a 5 star person) Rod Gray...Big Mista Sylvie and many more but a really special thanks goes out to Johnny and Trish Trigg who really adopted all of us.....they look out for us like you cannot believe...same with Kim and andy....If in your heart and mind you feel like trying something totally different go for it...the rewards are astounding and this trip was that whole feeling in a nutshell

Rip

No problem Sterling, you were great! As I mentioned elsewhere in this thread, I don't know how anybody (among the teams I hung with) stayed as focused as they did. Distractions were everywhere and I too was trying to figure out how to approach my first Royal, albeit with a lot less to worry about than you guys! My main goal was to not be a hindrance and wear out my welcome!

KimG SOW

What a weekend!!! We had a blast! We loved seeing everyone, even if it was just a quick Hi! and a hug.

RIP - The Renaissance People were there to promote the Renaissance Festival going on in Bonner Springs on weekends till Columbus Day, they come every year.

I will try to post more later. I have to get back to clean-up duty and get things together for Andy's Brisket class tonight.

HoDeDo

Great chronicle of the weekend. Honestly, I don't think I could have done it any better!!
Sterling can thank us all he wants, but he jumps right in himself on numerous occasions.
It is an interesting comment he makes about diving into this thing... I gigged my way through college, and am a huge music fan.... and all the innovation going on at EBMM, and the dedication that takes; to pour the energy and excitement into BBQ that he has is pretty amazing. Kim and I just feel lucky to be a part of it.

Sterling and I were joking about the airport trips, meat pickups, etc. and the number of bodies floating around our place... and as he posted above - "the rewards are astounding, and this trip is was that in a nutshell" That is the Royal weekend for us also. So many great friends we have made, and it truly has made us richer for it. I wouldn't trade this stuff for anything. And we feel lucky to have BP, Jody, Joe, and Brad as part of our BBQ family. Joe got to spend some time with a few of the other folks in our BBQ family, and I can't imagine our lives without those relationships. (Todd, The Early's, Dawghouse, etc) BPS falls right in there. We're truly blessed to be surrounded by such great people. Royal weekend is what that is all about. It's always feels a day too short. :)

Top Bottom