A Rib protocol question for those who ....

HogSmoker

Who have cooked ribs with different methods then way I cook. My ribs are fine and I get fine complements on how they taste.
I would like someone who don't foil their ribs ( like I do ) tell me how they keep them moist and how the cook differs from putting ribs on grill cooking for a hour so then foiling... then taking out and finishing on grill till done.
Yea I know I could just do the trial and error way :) however why not asked folks who knows.
My thought is trying to cook ribs without going though the foiling and un-foiling process what issues I might run into from the way I do them. Like start to finish times and temps.... do I use water pan underneath rib rack ..... do I spray ribs while their cooking ? Also would like a ideal on what taste and tenderness difference that I might notice if any.
I'd appreciate any info ya'll might be willing to share..
Thanks H/S[/FONT]

Kite

First of all – the only way *you* are going to know the true difference is if *you* try it. As for me – I never foil and my ribs are moist and fantastic, according to me and my family/friends. It generally takes about 5 hours and I cook at 255 degrees until tender. They come out very moist and tender. Just give it a rip – worst case scenario you spend an afternoon with family/friends around the smoker and learn something.

TrickyDick

First of all – the only way *you* are going to know the true difference is if *you* try it. As for me – I never foil and my ribs are moist and fantastic, according to me and my family/friends. It generally takes about 5 hours and I cook at 255 degrees until tender. They come out very moist and tender. Just give it a rip – worst case scenario you spend an afternoon with family/friends around the smoker and learn something.

Do you spray/spritz? Water pan too? Unless the ribs taste tough or dry I've always enjoyed them - its ribs after all!

Kite

I do not spray, spritz, water pan, water board, or any other such thing. I set the smoker to 255, remove membrane, light coat of peanut oil, add favorite rub of the day, put on smoker, sauce at about the 3 hour mark, and check for tenderness starting at about the 4 hour mark. Then remove and eat when desired tenderness has been reached.

Chili Head

When I don't foil mine I do them almost just like kite but I use CYM on mine. I cook at 245 degrees until there is only a slight resistance when poking them with a tooth pick. That's when I sauce mine up. Fall off the bone is too done for my liking, I like to bite the meat off of mine. I also cook mine on the top rack.

HogSmoker

When I don't foil mine I do them almost just like kite but I use CYM on mine. I cook at 245 degrees until there is only a slight resistance when poking them with a tooth pick. That's when I sauce mine up. Fall off the bone is too done for my liking, I like to bite the meat off of mine. I also cook mine on the top rack.

I tried them without foil yesterday went by the way Kite explained 255* and it took about 5 hrs too cook them. They were good and the only thing I did that Kite says he doesn't do is ....I sprayed them with apply juice about every 30-45 minutes and they were juicy but wasn't fall off the bone type either.

Kite

Hey Chili! Good to see you back.. again. Or.. is it good to see me back again? I'm confused as usual. Anyway, good to see you my friend!

Chili Head

You too bro! I've missed everyone!
I want to cook and post more but I only have Saturdays off for contest posting and Tuesdays and Wednesdays. The wife usually goes to bed early those days because she goes to work early. If I cook something it's ribs for me or something I've posted a million times.
I did these this weekend too. Lots of time this week...IM ON VACATION! Lol
ujahytyg.jpg

6eretemu.jpg

All I've done the last three days is burn pellets lol.

Kite

Looks awesome!!! I did ribs today as well. My brother is a long haul truck driver and he happened to be in town today so I did some ribs for him. I too would have posted in the contest.. but I have already done them numerous times as you said as well..

Top Bottom