Burger quest..Thick or thin

Chili Head

I've been on a sort of burger quest lately. I've been doing thick, thin, really thin and stuffed.
After all this I think I prefer a thin burger. It cooks fast and if you cook it on high heat it won't dry out unless you get distracted by watching the clouds float by. Yeah been there done that lol. I did a stuffed goat cheese burger last week that was outstanding but it was too thick. I like how the thinner burgers get the seasoning flavor more throughout..I haven't tried mixing the seasoning into the burger yet I've just dusted them. I think a good char is important too to help keep the juices in plus I like the caramelized crunchy edges. You really don't get that with a big thick burger.

Without getting into toppings and such how do you guys like your burgers!

TentHunter

Thick or thin? The answer is, Yes!

It depends on my mood. A nice thick smoked burger just has a nice steak-like bite to it.

But then again, there is something to be said about two or three thin patties, crispy on the edges (like you describe) and piled on top of each other that you just don't get with thicker burgers.

Either way as long as I need plenty of napkins, I'm good!

Thick all the way for me.

My wife prefers thin.

Works out great as I like rare and she likes well done. Start at the same time and they are done at the same time.

SmokinMAK

I have been doing thick - I call it "Burger Wednesday", and I do a different combination each week. The one constant has been the 1/2lb of extra lean beef. I know the experts say never use less than 20% fat, but I've never had a dry or tasteless burger yet.
View attachment 2137
View attachment 2138
You said no getting into the toppings, but I had to share some MAK Griddle Pron. used the griddle for the onions/mushrooms and bacon. GrillGrates for the burger and peppers (and a couple chicken breasts for later). Yum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stone

I've settled on the thick, 1/3 - 1/2 lb patties. I posted my last burgers in the gallery - MAK Burgers 2. I use the searing grates to start the burgers and then develop a crust on them using the griddle. Check it out.

Great topic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TentHunter

SmokinMak, just looking at that burger, you sure make an awfully strong argument for voting "thick"!
icon14.png

P.S. You can tell that griddle is very well used... and loved! :cool:
View attachment 2137

Smokinman88

The wife and I usually like a thinner patty with lots of toppings. Lately I've been mixing in Big Poppa's Double Secret Steak Rub to the meat and making 1/3 pound patties. A little goes a long way but they always turn out great.

Last edited:

KristenBPS

I'm still experimenting, to be brutally honest I was not much of a burger fan before BPS. Well, actually that would be not a fan of beef!! But my tastes are evolving as I smoke my food and have access to better seasonings--not to mention the quality. I have yet to smoke/grill burgers on my MAK. Being sick for a month has really cut into my cooking time:(.

lovesmoke

I feel thick is nice for Burger. because thick burger is very testy for me. I try to make it thick. but some times it be different.

dnew

I like mine thin so I can place cheese between the meat. Sometimes I feel like two different type of cheese so I may have 3 think pieces of meat. I like to build a burger and I always want my lettuce, tomatoe and onion together. It is a texture thing.

Top Bottom