Carter is the Judge! 2-18 contest!

CarterQ

Right now it looks like we will be playing for pride unless 2 more cooks enter. I'll wait until 10pm pacific to make the final call.

CarterQ

Unfortunately we didn't get enough cooks to qualify for the full run of prizes this week. However BP has generously offered 15 Bucks at BPS for a winner so I am still on the hook to pick a winner!

Here we go:

FLBent - I asked for some creativity and you delivered with your asian inspired smoked beef, love the idea of Peanut Butter as a glue for those asian spices, kind of a Thai twist on an old standard. Would love to get a taste of that one, Great job.

Sparky - Another productive weekend on the smoker as usual, your spatchcock chicken was perfect and a great example of how a pellet cooker can take a simple meal and make it special. I was a little surprised that you tried ribs though :cool: Again you knocked it out of the park with them and gave everyone some more ideas to try, your cooks make this site what it is, people having fun cooking and trying new things.

Rip - Brother, you are turning into a pellet cooking machine! You are a perfect example of how this site can show you new things and how we all can learn new things. First your tri tip / mushrooms / potatoes and asparagus was a killer meal and especially cool as everything was stuff you picked up here. Then you took your leftovers and taught us all some tricks, that Naan bread pizza(?) looked fabulous, definitely a beautiful use of leftovers. Not satisifed with all that you follow up with some chili (great use of the frogmats by the way) and an out of bounds cobbler. Another amazing meal.

Tent - I always know you will come up with something interesting and you definitely did not disappoint this week. That pineapple ham fattie looked absolutely killer and the smoked pineapple slaw was not too shabby either. love the creativity and trying something different. Cooks like that make this contest so hard because we all can't try it!

So after some very tough deliberating the winner is.........

Rip - Congrats brother, you absolutely crushed it this week and the title of judge is all yours!

Again, for anyone that is shy, don't be, this is a fun contest and a great way to share and learn from each other. I am assuming everyone on this site is cooking something, why not take pictures and share each week? Ribs, Chicken, Brisket, Butts, Smoked Tofu, Sea Bass, whatever it is no matter how simple or complex it's all good.

TentHunter

Congrats Rip. those Naan sammies looked killer.

I love Thai food and that smoked peanut beef still has my curiosity (and taste buds) peaked :D. I believe I'm trying that one.

Another good week, but Sparky's right; all these great cooks and only 4 contestants. We need more! C'mon guys don't be shy. This is a lot of fun.

Rip

Thanks Carter and BP! Thanks for the kind words Tent! I agree with BP, won't do any good to drag people into this contest...that said, I want to add how much I learn from it every week. I've been kicking around doing something with peanut butter for a few weeks now, (great stuff FLB!), and now FLBent has really got me going! Tent, everytime you post a cook I learn something! Sparky, you're always an inspiration!

What I'm trying to say is people need to think of this less as contest and more as sharing your ideas (with the possibility of winning free stuff.)

Thanks again BP for providing and supporting this forum!

Big Poppa

Administrator
I think that a lot of people have entered and not won and cant be bothered and some have used up their secret recipes...It will keep going though and I m sure once the season starts it will pick up...To those lurking Some weeks basic ribs win sometimes its something off the wall...Its all good

sparky

i don't care if i win. i just want to beat rip, carter, TentH and bentrider. lol. i am just having fun. i love all the stuff everyone is cooking. i cook stuff that i want to eat not so much cooking to win a prize. got to eat on the weekends anyway. why not take pictures and post them. these guys are great chefs just having fun. did you guys see carters fish tacos, bents peanut butter beef, tenth's wifes meatloaf and rips cobbler. this stuff if excellent. everyone join in. who cares if you win and just be glad BP isn't allowed to enter the contest. this guy can cook. :cool:

Deb

i don't care if i win. i just want to beat rip, carter, TentH and bentrider. lol. i am just having fun. i love all the stuff everyone is cooking. i cook stuff that i want to eat not so much cooking to win a prize. got to eat on the weekends anyway. why not take pictures and post them.

glad you don't want to beat me;)

Like sparky I cook stuff that I want to eat and not just to win... the contest (and forum in general) makes me think harder about what I'm cooking and what I can do different

sparky

i always want to beat you deb. i think you and jeanie are two of the best chefs on this forum. sucks for me to go up against ya. i think everyone is a better chef than me. i am just a old bbq hippie drinking FT and cooking stuff on the grill. i rarely plane any of my cooks. i am making all this stuff up as i go. its whatever i have on hand or in the freezer. :cool:

Deb

i always want to beat you deb. i think you and jeanie are two of the best chefs on this forum. sucks for me to go up against ya. i think everyone is a better chef than me. i am just a old bbq hippie drinking FT and cooking stuff on the grill. i rarely plane any of my cooks. i am making all this stuff up as i go. its whatever i have on hand or in the freezer. :cool:

lol, i"m definititely not a chef and not anywhere near Jeanie's league.
I make up my stuff as I go too, I will plan one thing and it ends up being something totally different by the time I'm done.

and you are right there in the same league as the rest of us here - obsessed pellet people who love to cook and produce great stuff to eat, I'd love to eat anything that came off your grill (until you get to your fish phase).:cool:

and now to bring us back on topic.... I have been sick all week and Rip's cobbler is still the only thing that has appealed to me , I want some of that, it will have to be on the weekend menu.

Last edited:

squirtthecat

I get more inspiration here than at 95% of the restaurants I've been to! I'll see if I can come up with a smokey Cajun twist this weekend..

Top Bottom