Cold Smoking Salmon

txpgapro

I'm making some lox, cold smoked salmon, and can't decide which flavor of wood to use in my A-Maz-N smoker box. Please help me decide.

Hickory
Wine Soaked Oak
Bourbon Soaked Oak
Apple

ACW3

Having cold smoked a few sides of fish for some homemade lox, I am partial to the lighter smoke favor of the fruit woods. I have used apple and cherry with good success.

I just bought an A-Maz-N smoker and have the wine soaked oak and bourbon soaked oak pellets to try. Of those two, I might lean towards the wine soaked oak just to try it.

Let us know what you decided to use and how it turns out.

Art

TentHunter

Mike, Apple is my favorite for salmon, but I can see the bourbon soaked oak working well too. If it were me I try one of those two.

One question... Are you using the Cameron's Bourbon Soaked wood chips & grinding them into sawdust for youe A-Maz-N smoker?

Last edited:

txpgapro

I decided to try the wine soaked dust this time, as I used the apple last time I tried this. It's been raining for 2 days here and I'm having trouble keeping the dust lit. I've got the smoker box in the bottom of my Weber Kettle under the porch with the intake and exhaust wide open. I'm still using the dust that I bought with the smoker over a year ago. I've done cheese and salmon before but it's been awhile.

Last edited:

Jables

There are are a few people in these parts using blackberry stalks for smoking salmon. About as British columbian as it gets.

TentHunter

Ooh... I'll have to try some blackberry stalks (they're not pellets, but I still use my charcoal/stick burners some). I bet that'd be really good with poultry as well.

Top Bottom