Curling Ribs

Buffalotom

I am smoking ribs on my Mak today and after two hours on 250 I took a peek and the ribs are curling. Is this natural? I have never had them do that before. I am using the 2-2-1 method. So they are foiled now.

sparky

curling? how are they curling? front to back or left to right? i have never seen that before. heh, have you every had buffalo ribs? be interested on how that taste? i have never had buffalo before.

Buffalotom

Sparky, they are curling left to right. This is my third time with buffalo ribs. I do not sauce them beforehand. The rub is enough to enhance yet not overpower the meat. I would consider the taste as right between pork ribs and beef ribs. Sweeter than beef but not to the extent that pork is. IMO. If I can ever stash a bunch at one time I will try to send some to you. Reading about how good your ribs are it would be a pleasure to have you cookem up.

soupyjones

The only time I have had ribs do that to me is when I forgot to take the membrane off of them. It shrunk down and I almost wound up with a rib tube. Failing that I have no ideas. On a side note you make buffalo ribs sound pretty good. Do you have moisture trouble with them because of them being leaner than beef?

Buffalotom

Soupyjones, I think that because I foil after two hours it keeps them moist. I do worry about them drying out.

Deb, If you take those ribs in the picture and twist them a little more you would have it. I do love buff ribs.

MossyMO

Been eating buffalo on a regular basis and quite often for 15 years, my father in law raises them and the pasture surrounds 3 sides of our yard. But, I have never requested cuts of buffalo ribs... it is on the to do list now!

Buffalotom

Deb,
Pics are in the tablet now. Whe I pull them I will have more. Then my son will help me download them onto photobucket.

MossyMo,
I was wondering where the buffalo connection was. You really do need to try the ribs. Sauceless at least at first to taste the true flavor.

Buffalotom

Let's try this again.
20120418_171615.jpg

This is a picture of the ribs in the smoker.
Now on the tray. Notice the curl.
20120418_180225-1.jpg

The flavor was great. Alittle dry, but passed the toothpick test. Practice, practice, practice.

The Stig

I had a rack of baby backs do that a few years ago. There was an extraordinary amount of the loin muscle left on 2of the racks and both curled much like that . I no longer look for just the easiest ribs I can find but instead I look for a fairly even cut. I have not encountered that since.

PS. they were both quite dry.

Top Bottom