Fathers Day Contest! New tricks up my sleeve! Everybody wins

sparky

girl scout stew

when my wife and i first started going out we use to camp alot on the beach. i really believe that she can cook better around a campfire that in the kitchen. we use to live on this. it was cheap and cooking it camping was killer. alot of ways you can mix it up by changing what goes in it. girl scout stew by mrs spark (except i am making it).

cut up potatoes, carrots, onion and garlic. i put into a ziploc w/ only desert gold. in other ziploc i cut up steak and added DDSR only. shakey, shakey.

P6180001-1.jpg

meat first then veges w/ butter in a foil boat.

P6180011-1.jpg

onto #36 @ 325º

P6180013.jpg

flipped it once or twice. and wa la. girl scout stew. this is good stuff when your camping on the beach w/ a bottle of wine a a loaf of french bread.

P6180014.jpg

stir it up and your ready to go. it was real juicy and tasty. alot of good flavors.

P6180018.jpg

yummy....;)

Last edited:

nepas

Got the family in my MAK this morning.
DSC01390.jpg

Daddy fatty.
DSC01396.jpg

Baby fatty.
DSC01397.jpg

DSC01398.jpg

Mommy fatty.
DSC01399.jpg

Tequila makes her clothes fall off :D :D
DSC01401.jpg

The whole fam damnly :D
DSC01402.jpg

Susan

Spatchcocked Cornish Game hens.
06-19-2011006.jpg

I dusted them with some Soileau’s and Yardbird and carefully worked some under the skin.

06-19-2011008.jpg

The birds sat in the fridge soaking up some flavor while I went to work on creating a yummy side dish to sit with them on the Weber.

06-19-2011010.jpg

On to the fire with some Cherry pellets and red peppers stuff with Quinoa, grilled corn, scallions, roasted garlic, diced tomatoes, cilantro, ground black pepper, Kosher salt and a bit of wine. And, that’s an apple roasting and catching some smoke for a bit of dessert later.

06-19-2011012.jpg

Twenty minutes before the birds were done, I mopped one with Roasted Raspberry Chipolte Sauce. Since I had never tried this sauce before I elected to mop just one.
06-19-2011014.jpg

And here’s the finished product! I chose to try the hen with the Raspberry Chipolte. It was a party on my taste buds with a wonderful combination of heat and sweet. The bird was moist and tender with a delightfully light aroma and taste of smoke. The stuffed peppers were fabulous with a bit of crunch from the Quinoa and a smoky flavor that permeated all threw the stuffing.

06-19-2011015.jpg

Thanks for looking. There are some left overs…..

Last edited:

ACW3

TACOS AL CARBONE

For FD I had to come up with my own menu. I picked an old favorite, Tacos al Carbone. This was from a recipe that originated in Houston, TX, so I am told. I marinated two small skirt steaks in a marinade of soy sauce, lots of garlic, and a bit of vodka to help tenderize the meat, and then fired up the MAK and seared them on the grill grates. Since they were on the "thin side", it didn't take too long. I made a Rotel cheese sauce with Rotel Original Diced Tomatoes and Green Chiles, Velvetta cheese, and some Mexican Cheese Dip. I always make too much Rotel cheese sauce because it is great in or on an omlette, or spread on an English muffin in the morning. I also made some guacamole using Guy Fieri's recipe from his cooking show. I also chopped green onions and more tomato to dress my taco. For dessert I made some ice cream earl;eir in the day using a flavored coffee creamer (in this case "Cinnabon"). I drizzled some L'Ecole No. 41 Chocolate Merlot Sauce (from the Walla Walla Valley) over the ice cream. And yes, it was rich! (I'm worth it). Here are the photos.

Starting dessert in the ice cream maker.
IMG_6607.jpg

Ingredients for Guy Fieri’s guacamole.
IMG_6609.jpg

Rotel cheese sauce ingredients.
IMG_6610.jpg

Cooked and sliced marinated skirt steak.
IMG_6612.jpg

Flour tortilla warming on the griddle.
IMG_6613.jpg

Sliced steak on the flour tortilla, ready to be rolled up.
IMG_6614.jpg

Plated and ready to eat.
IMG_6615.jpg

Member of the clean plate club means I get dessert.
IMG_6616.jpg

Homemade ice cream with chocolate merlot sauce.
IMG_6617.jpg

thanks for checking this out.

Art

smokerjoe

First cook on my new MAK grill, some nice rib eye to test it out. Cooked them at 225 until the IT was 115 then seared them on the grillgrates.

IMG_3991.JPG

IMG_3994.JPG

IMG_3997.JPG

IMG_4002.JPG

IMG_4005.JPG

IMG_4006.JPG

IMG_4013.JPG

squirtthecat

Wow, I ruined dinner... Time to punt.

My Bobsled Chickens (a spin on Chris Lilly's loaf pan chicken) were a major bust. Tops were burned, and bottom boiling in fat and still in the 140s. Into the trash they go..

Time for a quick huddle.

Leftover Wagyu!

IMGP3360.JPG

Some Artisan whole grain bread from the Farmer's Market.

IMGP3361.JPG

MAK is 300° hot, so let's make a sammich smasher out of it. (foil wrap some firebricks)

IMGP3363.JPG

Assembled.

IMGP3365.JPG

Spray some Butter PAM on the bricks and mash it together.

IMGP3367.JPG

Let's eat!

IMGP3370.JPG

bflodan

Fathers Day Feast

Had my Father, Father In Law, Brother along with kids and spouses over for a Fathers Day Feast... Cooked some Korobuta Baby Backs, Waygu Short Ribs and 3 different Sausages...
107-1.jpg

Nice Marble
108.jpg

Rubbed the Ribs with some mustard glue some Little Louies and Obie Cues...Short Ribs and Sausage where CT glue with the same rub as the Baby Backs. The plain half rack was for the kids, it was a quality rack from Sams Club with just a CT rub.
111.jpg

On to the MAK on smoke 45min then 275
112.jpg

After a couple hours..
114-1.jpg

115-1.jpg

Foiled after 2.5hrs
116-1.jpg

After 45min back on the MAK
126.jpg

Had some corn going on the Weber, Threw the Ribs and Short Ribs on for a quick sear..
130.jpg

131.jpg

Last edited:

bflodan

Feast Cont....

Pulled and rested then sliced..
132.jpg

132.jpg

134.jpg

139.jpg

140.jpg

He ate before me on Fathers Day!!! Whats up with that??
143.jpg

145.jpg

Another sucess on the MAK!! Happy Fathers Day!

CarterQ

Fathers Day Ribs and Flemings Potatoes

Been crazy busy at work and haven't even touched a cooker in almost 2 weeks so when my wife asked me what I wanted to do for fathers day, I think you can guess the answer! Kept it simple though just had a hankering for Ribs and the scalloped potatoes they serve at Flemings steak house. So here we go-

Got a rack of Baby Backs and hit it with Frenchs, Cimmaron Docs, and Little Louies with pepper
e768fc1e.jpg

Onto the MAK running @275 on BBQers delight Hickory

7b0b1e6c.jpg

Made up the taters, thin sliced russets, heavy cream, leeks, jalapenos, and jack and cheddar cheese. Onto the MAK covered in foil for about an hour.
c1a8a0f2.jpg

Ribs are done, Hit them with a light coating of 17th street sauce.

43590ba9.jpg

Crank up the MAK to 375 to finish off the potatoes topped with a little more cheese

f61c426d.jpg

Taters done

b55e6d8c.jpg

Ribs sliced up, I took them to almost falling off the bone because its Father's day and sometimes I like them that way!

c146e7c2.jpg

Dinner is served

61569e75.jpg

This came out great and it was just what the doctor ordered! Loved the potatoes almost exactly like they do at Flemings so that was an added bonus.

All in all a great fathers day for this Dad!

3d8449ee.jpg

CarterQ

Glazed Smoked Peaches with Blueberries

One of my goals this summer is to try as many recipes using fresh California fruit as i can. Gave this one a whirl tonight-

Start out with this, the key ingredients being fresh peaches and blueberries (both picked yesterday)

7f7e0f11.jpg

Halve the peaches and remove the pit, place them face down in a pan with butter, vanilla, and brown sugar.

bafc560d.jpg

Onto the MAK @375 to cook for about 15 minutes

b1e06343.jpg

Turn a few times during cooking to coat the peaches

ef29b24b.jpg

All done

7c9c1b40.jpg

For the sauce, take some lemon curd and add heavy cream until a thick sauce consistency is achieved

8fc1a8f3.jpg

c43f8b12.jpg

Quarter the peach halves in the pan

862ae975.jpg

Serve the slices topped with the lemon curd sauce and blueberries

9f57a6a4.jpg

This came out a great, loved the lemon contrast with the sweet peaches. The key with this recipe is using sweet ripe peaches.

Rip

Fathers Day Feast

The Plan: Hang by the pool, drink cold ones, keep the smoker running.

A little brunch to get things started. You can put just about anything you want into the eggs. Today was just smoked sausage, onions, and a little seasoning.
IMG_2347sm.jpg

On to the MAK @300 for about an hour, cheese was added towards the end.
IMG_2349sm.jpg

This was a great way to get started! The eggs were very moist, all infused with pepper goodness.
IMG_2353sm.jpg

I had already prepped a couple of chickens. EVOO, Desert Gold, & Little Louis for rub. Also made a mix of the above and injected all over under the skin. On to the MAK at 275.
IMG_2354sm.jpg

At 145IT, the heat was cranked to 400. I let the Pellet Boss handle this while I worked on the pool and cold one thingie. The chickens were pulled at 165IT.
IMG_2355sm.jpg

Meanwhile some leftover brisket was simmering covered on the MAK with a little broth and onions. This was pulled and into the warming drawer before the heat went up to 400 on the chickens.
IMG_2358sm.jpg

Some sweet corn was grilled while the chicken rested. Earlier I had blistered some jalapenos and made jalapeno butter for the corn.

Chicken, brisket fajitas, sweet corn, fresh fruit, oh we had homemade cole slaw too, that will have to go on the next plate!
IMG_2360sm.jpg

While everybody dug in peach & blueberry cobbler was put on the smoker at 325 until nice and golden.
IMG_2363sm.jpg

As usual, this was extremely tasty.
IMG_2367sm.jpg

Niece tested and approved! It was a great day!
IMG_2364sm.jpg

Last edited:

Rip

Store pre-mix, add your own fruit and smoker...usually we get this at Cabelas, made do with local grocery store mix this time...was still great! Buried on my list is finding a good scratch recipe. It's hard to beat the pre-mix for simplicity. Now if I could just get Carter to ship fruit direct to me :)

Top Bottom