First Ever Ribeye (Bone-In) Roast

Came across a bone-in Ribeye and couldn't pass it up. The butcher explained it was left over from christmas inventory and would give me a great deal =). I took half and my brother in law grabbed the other. Local weather reports called for more snow and even colder temps (22 ambient), but I was determined to throw it on the Mak 1 Star anyway.
I went with a simple rub---1/2 and 1/2--- 1/2 Salt and 1/2 Pepper. Let it come to room temp.

Fired up the 1 Star with a mix of Hickory and Oak pellets and set it @250. This is after 2 1/2 hours:

Slapped on Balsamic Glaze at the 3 1/2 hour mark:

and

Pulled it at IT of 126 (about 4 1/2 hrs) then FTC until family was ready to eat. About 45 mins before we sat down to eat I cranked up the oven to 525 to reverse sear. Pulled it after 8 mins (I set it for 10). Here she is:

I removed the ribs and sliced some up for to eat. Family chose thin slices:

and

Plated it up with some Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Corn Bread and a small chef salad. Good eats indeed=).

The real star (other than the main course) was the Mak 1 Star. It performed flawlessly in very cold conditions. Held temp throughout the cook like a champ and smoked like a freight train.

Have a great day and thanks for looking
Comments/suggestions welcome =)

Darwin00537

Wow, fairly complicated cooking approach for your first try! Was it good? You didn't mention if you liked it or not=)

My only hope for the loin would be tasty, not too bloody with no grey meat. Thats it. I was pleasantly surprised because sometimes I have no clue how it'll end up even though I've eaten ribeye a thousand times =). I was worried about bacteria. Used to cooking to at least IT of 145 (Burgers, steaks, etc). Didn't end up in the hospital or in the bathroom all night so I guess it came out ok haha.

Tips for next time: Must work on the bark. As with all first time cooking something new, my main focus was on the final product. I'll tweak it until I get the bark i want. Thanks

TentHunter

Superb job, especially considering it was your first rib roast! Now that you've done one, Prime Rib in a restaurant will never be as good!

A tip about the bones, if I may: If you cut the bones off before cooking, it's a lot easier than trying to remove them before carving. You can tie them back on before roasting if you like, but if you leave them off you get more crust all around. I like to freeze & save them later for beef ribs.

Thanks Tent and everyone who offered advice=). Came out much more tender than what i imagined it would. Thats a good thing =). Family kinda freaked out over the pink meat so maybe ill go lower in temp ( say 220 or lower ) for a longer period of time. How would it turn out if i pulled it at IT of 140? or 150?

scooter

I echo what Tent said about the bones but sometimes, if you're carving at the table, I like to leave the bones on and as I'm cutting individual slices for people at the table I'll ask if they want a bone in slice or a boneless slice. Gives a dramatic presentation factor at the table. If you're just slicing it in the kitchen to put on a platter for the table then cut off and tie the bones back on or leave them off and freeze them in order to cook them for another dinner in the future.

From the color of the meat looks like you ended up with medium which may have been due to the FTC. FTC right after pulling from the cooker will produce a bigger carryover in temps during the rest than will a loose tenting or even no tenting like BP prefers. You'll figure it out.

Better bark would happen if you carved off all the fat and applied the balsamic and rub directly to the meat. Thick fat is not a great bark platform.

Great job for your first try!

I hear ya on the bark…I will definitely trim the fat next cook =) To carve or not to carve the ribs is an option that i can go either way on, however, i should have thrown them in the freezer for later use. Just bought a Foodsaver sealer. duh

RickB

Yea you don't want to cook it any more than that. If you have someone that wants it well heat a pan with some aujus and pop a slice in for them. will cook in a couple of minutes.

Top Bottom