Help! I can't get my Mak 2 star past 430 degrees

Smokinman88

When I first got the Mak early this year I did the burn in and it was able to get up to 495 with 65-70 as the ambient temp. I've cleaned everything and made sure the sensor was clean and it won't climb past 430, ambient is about 60. It's been on for over an hour now and seems to be stuck at 425-430....any thoughts? I don't usually cook at these temps but occasionally it would be nice, especially when cooking pizza.

Huns

Oak pellets seem to burn the hottest for me. I can get the MAK up to 465 using the BBQ delight pellets.

Chili Head

I'm thinking it's your pellets as well? What are you burning in it now? When I do pizza I set mine to high and when it hits 425 the pizza goes in. I can't remember the last time I saw mine over 450. I just don't wait till it gets that hot..too hungry and no patience to wait! Low 400's is plenty hot enough to cook and burn your pizza.

Last edited:

MAK DADDY

As the grill breaks in and gets coated with grease and such the temps will settle in lower than when it is new and shiny. Usually the thermocouple being cleaned is the biggest factor to reading the proper temps, pellets play a big role in achieving top temps.
The grill is still working the same, on "high" the auger turns continuously adding as much fuel to the fire pot as possible creating the hottest temp achievable based on the pellets BTU's. Try burning Hickory or Oak with a shiny TC and clean vents with the flame zone covered, if you are still not getting to 450 call or email us and we will troubleshoot with you.
Bob

Smokinman88

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I've been using BBQr's Delight Apple or Hickory pellets and on occasion Bear Mountain Alder and Oak, all seem to produce the same results but I'm glad to hear this seems to be a "normal" range for most folks.

HoDeDo

The pellets are the key.... Hickory will burn a little hotter than apple... even when they are blended with oak in equal amounts.
I burn the sugar maple for steaks, for example, and always run a pecan/cherry blend for most everything else. I would imagine the charcoal pellets burn nice and hot, but have not checked usage amounts to validate that. In general hardwoods have BTUs than fruitwoods, so you see a slight variance even in the blended pellets. IF you are going for heat, burn your hickory or 100% oak. Or you might try the charcoal pellets. But I have no problems getting over 500 in my pit using BBQ'r Delight pellets, so the BTUs are there for the taking :)

TentHunter

I found this a while back and it's the most extensive wood BTU ratings list I have ever seen:
Sweep's Library - Firewood BTU Comparison Charts

You will see that Alder has a much lower BTU rating than most other hardwoods, so I would think you'd have a hard time achieving the higher temps with Alder.

Since BBQ'rs Delight are oak Based, ANY of the flavors are going to rate high in BTU's, but the Hickory blends (including Pecan) will most likely give you the most bang for your buck as far as BTU rating.

Hope this helps!

sparky

that was very cool chart. i didn't know some of that stuff. hickory and oak seem to burn the hottest. apple then a ways down cherry. pecan wasn't on the chart at all. been burning pecan/cherry. i like pecan because it a lighter version of hickory. my next order i think w/ be pecan / apple. yes, that might be the ticket. :)

TentHunter

pecan wasn't on the chart at all. been burning pecan/cherry. i like pecan because it a lighter version of hickory.

I've searched before for Pecan's BTU rating and it's hard to find. But, since Pecan is actually a species of Hickory, I'd expect the BTU rating to be in the same range.

BTW - I tried the Pecan/Cherry blend and I agree, it's a good blend!

CelebrityGrill

I just read the thread. Temp control is of paramount importance to me as I gain experience grilling & BBQing. Glad I read these posts. Thx also for the link to the BTU list.

Top Bottom