I need some Ahi Tuna help please! :)

cowgirl

I have 2 ahi tuna steaks that I would like to grill or smoke tomorrow... and I have never even tasted ahi tuna before! :)

Any suggestions on what I should do? Brine, dry rub, smoke, grill?
Thank you in advance for all help! :D

CarterQ

Dry rub, sear both sides quickly over a hot fire. Ahi is best served rare. I'm sure others will chime in but I'll take mine raw if given the choice!

Big Poppa

Administrator
Sear....it is so good that way...uswe your favorite rub and sear it super hot...90 seconds..flip 90 seconds

DSC00084.jpg

DSC00083.jpg

the hasty bake is great for this If you want i can try to find some more pics....Happy New Years Darlin!

CarterQ

Oh yeah, that looks perfect BP! The longer you cook Ahi the more tough it becomes and it will get a more "fishy" flavor.

cowgirl

Thank you Carter and Sterling, Your pics look fantastic!
I appreciate your help! I will use the Hasty Bake then and give it a quick sear. The tuna was previously frozen...that's all that is available here. Do you think that will make a difference on how long I need to cook it?
Thanks again!

Hope you two have a great 2012 too!! :)

scooter

I took Harry Soo's (Slap Yo Daddy BBQ) backyard BBQ class and in the class Harry demonstrated his famous seared ahi appetizer where he quick sears it, like BP's pic except Harry used a pan, then thinly slices it and serves it with a Maui Onion dressing. It's fabulous! Anyway, he shared a tip on ahi tuna to increase tenderness, soak your tuna overnight in a ziploc bag drizzled with extra virgin olive oil.

Slap Yo Daddy BBQ Recipes

IMG_7209.jpg

IMG_7214.jpg

IMG_7215.jpg

IMG_7221.jpg

IMG_7226.jpg

Last edited:

cowgirl

I took Harry Soo's (Slap Yo Daddy BBQ) backyard BBQ class and in the class Harry demonstrated his famous seared ahi appetizer where he quick sears it, like BP's pic except Harry used a pan, then thinly slices it and serves it with a Maui Onion dressing. It's fabulous! Anyway, he shared a tip on ahi tuna to increase tenderness, soak your tuna overnight in a ziploc bag drizzled with extra virgin olive oil.

Slap Yo' Daddy BBQ

Scooter that sounds fantastic too! Thank you so much.. I will bag the tuna with evoo right now! :) Is the Maui Onion dressing something that you make? I bet I would love that too.

Oops! I just saw the link. Thanks Scooter!

scooter

Yes, it's easy. The recipe is in the link I posted. The recipe calls for radish sprouts as the garnish but he used cilantro in the class and with each piece I took I placed a piece of cilantro on it and it was fantastic with the tuna dripping in dressing!

cowgirl

Yes, it's easy. The recipe is in the link I posted. The recipe calls for radish sprouts as the garnish but he used cilantro in the class and with each piece I took I placed a piece of cilantro on it and it was fantastic with the tuna dripping in dressing!

I picked up some fresh cilantro at the store today and think I have everything for the dressing too! I plan on using one of BP's dry rubs so it looks like I'm set. Thanks again everyone!! Keep your fingers crossed for me! :)

tbone

Living up here in the Northwest, fresh tuna is a staple. And seared Ahi is undoubtably our favorite. Those pics from BP are making me hungry.

If you're interested, I'm happy to shoot over a recipe we use for making lettuce wraps with seared Ahi. Very low cal and heart healthy.

tbone

cowgirl

Living up here in the Northwest, fresh tuna is a staple. And seared Ahi is undoubtably our favorite. Those pics from BP are making me hungry.

If you're interested, I'm happy to shoot over a recipe we use for making lettuce wraps with seared Ahi. Very low cal and heart healthy.

tbone

Tbone your lettuce wraps sound great! I would love to see the recipe if you have the time. Thanks!
I envy those of you who live close to the ocean... I think I need to move. lol

tbone

Cowgirl - here's our favorite recipe for eating Ahi.

Make up a batch of the following goodness:
1/2 C orange juice
2 T Soy
2 T Rice vinegar
1 t sesami oil
add a little garlic and ginger

You also want a small batch of coleslaw without the dressing.

Place one or two pieces of your seared ahi onto a leaf of lettuce, add some of the slaw, pour over some of the goodness, roll it up and eat. Yuuuum!

Pretty dang simple.

tbone

Wow! I love seared Ahi and order it often, but BP and Scooter, those plates look better than anything I have been served in a restaurant (not to be a comment on the dining establishments I visit, but how good your plates look!). If Cowgirl is cooking something similar, I guess we are all shooting for 2nd place this weekend :)

cowgirl

Cowgirl - here's our favorite recipe for eating Ahi.

Make up a batch of the following goodness:
1/2 C orange juice
2 T Soy
2 T Rice vinegar
1 t sesami oil
add a little garlic and ginger

You also want a small batch of coleslaw without the dressing.

Place one or two pieces of your seared ahi onto a leaf of lettuce, add some of the slaw, pour over some of the goodness, roll it up and eat. Yuuuum!

Pretty dang simple.

tbone

tbone, that sounds wonderful!! I will definately give it a try. Thanks so much! :)

cowgirl

Wow! I love seared Ahi and order it often, but BP and Scooter, those plates look better than anything I have been served in a restaurant (not to be a comment on the dining establishments I visit, but how good your plates look!). If Cowgirl is cooking something similar, I guess we are all shooting for 2nd place this weekend :)

lol Thanks NorCal, I'll be happy if my ahi is edible! Starting to wish I would have brought home more of it. :)

Top Bottom