Mak 1 Star Brisket 2nd Attempt

Cooked a brisket yesterday. Although it was in the mid 30's with some snow flurries I was anxious to give it a go.
My first attempt at brisket (last summer) was rather interesting. The end result was not what i'd planned of course. I agonized afterward over every detail. Was it the rub? Was it my plan of attack? Was it the Mak? Was it me? Hmmmm.....
I went as far as contemplating my purchase of the Mak (God forbid).
I mean, what is it about brisket that makes it so different/difficult? It's just another cut of meat....right?
I thought there's go to be a way....right?
It finally came down to the simple fact that I did not know my cooker or how to cook on it. There it is, brutal honesty.
My family was supportive somewhat by saying "tastes good" and "I like it". I knew the truth as some of you can understand. I would classify it as a failure. It came out dry and tough.
However, I was determined to succeed. At least "try" to.

I had 2 goals: 1)Be moist and 2)Be tender. Thats it. Simple. If i achieved both goals taste should follow....right? Here are some pics.

View attachment 1301View attachment 1302View attachment 1303View attachment 1304Note: These are my first uploads so i hope it works ;)

Step 1: Get brisket to room temp
Step 2: Apply Garlic EVOO
Step 3: Apply light coating of Mustard
Step 4: LLwP,Garlic Pepper, And Sweet Rub
Step 5: Drink lots of Coffee
Step 6: Smoked at 180 for 2.5 hours. Original plan was for 2 hrs, but UK game was on ;)
Step 7: Raise temp to 260
Step 8: Cook until IT of 150 to 155 or until it reached color
Step 9: Foil. I added Apple Jce,Red Wine Vinegar and Tiger Sauce. I took BP's advice by wrapping very tightly
Step 10: Cook until IT of 200
Step 11: Removed excess juice (not all the juice)
Step 12: Vent for 10 mins then place in cooler w/towels for 3 hrs
Result: Brisket was super hot right out of cooler....and to my suprise very juicy and tender. Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

Notes for next Brisket....trim off more of the fat

yeah I did...very informative and helpful. Especially helpful for us folks who dont cook brisket often.
I coudnt agree more...fat is your friend. I usually trim very little on all meats. I only trimmed the gobs of fat on the point and the fat hanging off, but i did notice no smoke ring where the fat was the thickest. So, is it a comprimise or is a smoke ring that important? Dunno

Thanks Tatonka! Im gonna cook another Brisket next weekend. Got the fever so to speak =) Gonna try adding coffee somwhere in the mix. Dunno yet. So far i've cooked it fat cap up. So maybe gonna turn it over when i foil it...braise it with some kind of solution...i dont know...ill tinker around some ideas this week and come up w/something.....any ideas? Btw my aunt and uncle are visiting so id like to suprise them with something special.

MAK DADDY

The MAK cookbook has a good recipe as well, we use it all the time for shows. Don't drain any juice after IT200 just place in cooler.
Experiment with injections too, always fun and different.

Top Bottom