MAK 1 Star Brisket...

JD McGee

...I luv this machine! :cool:

309560_547488088596080_1964764570_n.jpg

JD McGee

Thanks guys...that was a 12lb choice brisket from Cash & Carry...I can't wait to try it out on a Wagyu or Prime!

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

TentHunter

Wow does that look juicy! I don't normally care for sliced brisket (I prefer pulled), but I wouldn't mind a few slices of that!

JD McGee

Gotta throw some luv to Big Matt with Left Coast "Q"...he pointed me in the right direction...thanks Brother! :cool:

MAK DADDY

Nice job JD and Matt :) We met them a few months back along with BPS and some other great teams at a comp in SO Cal, great bunch of people! Have fun with the MAK!

Kite

Gotta throw some luv to Big Matt with Left Coast "Q"...he pointed me in the right direction...thanks Brother! :cool:

Any chance you could share some of your new found knowledge with the crowd.. or would it be talking out of school?

I was in Cash and Carry last night looking for a lump of meat to run through my new grinder - it was a sad selection of almost exclusively Select meat. I did find a lone Choice top round so it came home with me. BTW - what is "special trim" - anyone got any idea? It was the other Choice meat in the cooler but I have no idea what it actually is.

TentHunter

kite said:
I was in Cash and Carry last night looking for a lump of meat to run through my new grinder - it was a sad selection of almost exclusively Select meat.

Choice meat is perfect if your grinding it, and the price is right. Grinding also negates the need for a tender more expensive cut. You can always buy fat separately if you need more.

I will tell you though, your best bet is to find a local butcher who can sell you beef and or pork in bulk and at bulk pricing.

JD McGee

Any chance you could share some of your new found knowledge with the crowd.. or would it be talking out of school?
I'd be happy to sir...well...as much as I can anyway. A lot of what I do is proprietary (team secret stuff...lol)...and a lot is much different than most folks. I do not use temp probes...I cook to color and feel (probing the flat). That said...here is a rough timeline for you...

7PM inject & rub brisket...wrap with saran and refrigerate.
9:30PM fire MAK 225 Degrees...
10PM brisket on...(fat cap down...lol!)...
6AM check brisket...if bark set wrap in foil...
9AM probe for doneness...continue probing every 30 minutes until done...
Rest in cooler for a minimum of 1 hour before slicing.

Hope it helps...
JD

JD McGee

what happened to hot and fast? Ours go on at 4:30 am
HNF is for my WSM's...I have done a modified LNS/HNF on the MAK with pretty good results...but the LNS on the MAK produced the better product. I just hope I can re-create it with consistency...lol! :cool:

Top Bottom