MAK 1 Star Brisket...

Ducaticraig

JD, I may have missed it but what final temp did you pull the brisket off the Mak? In a BBQ contest, If you don't place with a brisket like that you surely would win in a photo contest. Nicely cooked brisket

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Big Poppa

Administrator
I am not going to answer this for JD but I will answer for us...JD I hope you dont mind the additional conversation. There is no one way....we all have our tricks and secrets and sometimes voo doo....JD and Rhana are fabulous comp cooks and one of the few teams in America that Big Poppa Smokers sponsor...so they are in the family.

We finished 36th in kcbs brisket this year....Brisket temps are not an absolute when it is done. The temp is different from grade to variety of beef. ALso low and slow and hot and fast produce different internatl temp when it is done. LNS is usually a lower internal temp than hot and fast. With choice and even prime there is a "butter feel that can come between 195 and about 203..d..with the Strube Wagyu I cook you never really get that butter feel and I find that the magic temp is between 203-208....it is crazy how all of these things are different.

One of the most important thing is how you handle it after it comes off the cooker....I vent for 5 minutes and re foil super tight....I try at all costs to avoid using a cambro...I use towels, light blankets, and even a bps sweatshirt at the royal where I tied for second at the invitational...OK I know I finished third Damn card offs......

Lastly for comp and serving try to keep that thing as warm as you can to the plate or box.

JD McGee

JD, I may have missed it but what final temp did you pull the brisket off the Mak? In a BBQ contest, If you don't place with a brisket like that you surely would win in a photo contest. Nicely cooked brisket

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you Sir! To be perfectly honest with you...I have no idea what the final temp was. I have been using a probe to test for texture for so long I never pay attention any more to temps...except for chicken. :cool: If you use Sterlings guide above...you will do just fine! :thumbup:

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom