My First Turkey

cowdog

Thanksgiving is one of the reasons I got a pellet grill. I have never done a turkey before, ever. So, I went with Meathead's Ultimate Turkey Barbecue Turkey And Turkey On The Grill: The Ultimate Smoked Turkey Recipe

Brined the bird overnight, after about 11 hours of brining I rinsed and put back in the fridge to let the skin dry some. After 2 hours in the fridge I applied the rub and placed on the 2-Star at 325 degrees.

All Prepped and ready to go...
Prepped.jpg

On the Grill...
OnTheSmoker-Grill.jpg

DONE...
DONE1.jpg

DONE2.jpg

Sliced up...
SLICED.jpg

My wife made some bacon wrapped green beans with some brown sugar sprinkled on top...
DeliciousGreenBeans.jpg

All plated with some fantastic mashed potatoes I made...
Plated.jpg

Turkey was very juicy. After 1 hour I removed the foil from the legs and wings, the bird went another 1 hr 45 min, total cooking time of 2hrs 45mins. Didn't get a picture of the stuffing, but it was great as well.

Big Poppa

Administrator
I don't agree with meatheads turkey recipe. I'm always tweaking him on it. I did this morning on thevphone

cowdog

Hey BP, which part of his recipe do you disagree with? How would you tweak? I'm always looking for ways to improve. This one turned out very juicy and tender.

cowdog

Thank you tent. Those were fantastic. Wife blanched about a pound of green beans, wrapped them with partially cooked bacon, drizzled them with a butter/garlic/kosher salt mixture, and then sprinkled some brown sugar on top. Very delicious.

Kite

I'm on board with BP - 275. Only thing is I spatchcocked my bird.. Yours looks great!! I would share my pics with you, but..uummm.. well, I was busy.

cowdog

Looking as though I will try it at 275 next time. I appreciate the input. I am curious, though. Why 275 over 325? And how many cooking hours per pound at 275? Thanks again.

Kite

BP, slap me if I misquote you here.. 275 because it is more forgiving - cooking lower and slower gives you a bigger window for getting it just right. When you are at 325 you can over shoot your desired temp. The other reason I do it lower is to get more smoke flavor into the meat. That is just my understanding and why I do it at 275. As for how long - I did a 13.5 lb bird on Thursday and it took just over 3 hours. I pulled it when the breast was 163 and let it rest for 30 minutes. I also spatchcocked the bird and would not do it any other way.. My son said it was the best turkey he had ever eaten. But my daughter wanted to know why I didn't do it in the oven like everyone else.. sheesh, some people's children!

dpom

I spatchcocked the one I cooked for TG,and cooked it at 275.It came out perfect. I also cooked an 11 lb. ham at the same time. Both came out great. will pst the pics, later.

HogSmoker

We had our Thanksgiving dinner today and I followed BP's turkey tips and it worked great .. However the turkey wasn't good at all ! The cook went perfect smoked with cherry pellets breast temp 165 and thighs till 180. Bird was moist everything was just fine except one BIG thing. The turkey had been in our freezer since last year I thought the wife had bought it this week. It had that taste of being in freezer for a year.
IMG_0356.jpg

Turkey on notice the smoke tube
IMG_0359.jpg

Turkey almost ready and I'm thinking its going to be good ... wrong !
IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_0364.jpg

Wife and son and I was disappointed with the turkey but understood the reason. Had a great side dish thanks giving dinner anyway :)

MrAdam

We had our Thanksgiving dinner today and I followed BP's turkey tips and it worked great .. However the turkey wasn't good at all ! The cook went perfect smoked with cherry pellets breast temp 165 and thighs till 180. Bird was moist everything was just fine except one BIG thing. The turkey had been in our freezer since last year I thought the wife had bought it this week. It had that taste of being in freezer for a year.
IMG_0356.jpg

Turkey on notice the smoke tube
IMG_0359.jpg

Turkey almost ready and I'm thinking its going to be good ... wrong !
IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_0364.jpg

Wife and son and I was disappointed with the turkey but understood the reason. Had a great side dish thanks giving dinner anyway :)

Sorry to hear your delicious meal was ruined by freezer burn.

I always write the date I put something in the freezer on it. That way you can go through your freezer and toss anything over 6 months old.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

Pappymn

Sorry to hear that, has happened to me before. Not to pour gas on the fire, but are you sure on your temps? I thought the pop up thermometers were designed to pop at round 185 degrees?

HogSmoker

wow Im glad it wasnt my fault!

LOL BP no you was the positive in all this !

MrAdam: Yep great point something we will remember next time.

Pappymn: I pulled the button up myself just before I took the picture. I just wished the freezer burn would popped it up maybe that would of alerted me. But as the old saying goes no harm no foul.... or in my case no Fowl ? :)

Top Bottom