Please Don't murder me

rwalters

How long have you owned your Yoder? Can you share a few pics...would love to see it. I've only seen them from a distance.

Ducaticraig

How long have you owned your Yoder? Can you share a few pics...would love to see it. I've only seen them from a distance.
I originally had a Mak 2 Star when I first got into pellet grills around 3 1/2 years ago. I went from a Traver Elite Jr, to a Fast Eddie PG1000, to a Mak 2 Star, and then to Yoder YS1500 and finally to the YS640 purchased a little over 1 1/2 years ago. All the Pellet grills worked fine and some seemed to work better for my needs than others. The Mak and Yoder ranked at the top. Here are some pictures.

df5a8597a93cae0891391ee037dc69c4.jpg

17ef44ce8e82c18eca43db1c8ac371e7.jpg

534eca25a27a75ffdf534c3ca5ddb436.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

rwalters

That Yoder sure is purdy! Love the last pic with the flame shot! How big of direct cooking area does the Yoder YS640 offer? It's just directly over the fire pot, correct?

Ducaticraig

Here is a picture with the new diffuser. The plate has been pulled off to sear over the firebox. I use Grillgrates for direct grilling. Having easy access to the firebox has made cleaning so simple in between cooks. The other heat diffuser did not have a removable door so one would have to take out the entire drip pan/diffuser to clean or sear. Now those tasks have been simplified.

For things you might have heard about reliability or issues with the Yoder as far as temp swings, paint issues, or other things all I can say is things sometimes happen out of the control of the Manufacturer. If a supplier of fans makes some bad one or some have mentioned paint flaking at least the Yoder is painted with a high temp paint that can be touched up easily. Mine was delivered with a scratch caused by Fed Ex. I called Yoder and they told me how to touch up the Yoder and sent me a can of high temp paint. I've dealt with Mak and Yoder and both have exceptional customer service. Big Poppa Smokers has unbelievable customer service as well.

Again I think the Mak has the best computer/controller on the market and whomever gets one will enjoy it. I love my Yoder answer well.

c2f2b641f7c51652dfdc5ae2db9fd572.jpg

Ducaticraig

I cooked this trip tips on the Yoder last week and gave it a good sear to finish.

431ab754609b852b08d5b36c6c4ad878.jpg

95ef8fda5fdbbb3d475235044688bddf.jpg

flypig

Wow, I wasn't aware of the change to the Yoder diffuser plate. (Mine is about 3 years old)

That seems to be the answer to my biggest dislike of taking the entire grill apart to get the diffuser plate out to do reverse sear. Could you perhaps post a pic with the diffuser door in place?

I think I need to get out the plasma cutter & welder and get to work.

farfromovin

I strongly considered a Yoder when I moved on from Trager recently but got a MAK II Star instead. For me, the controller is the heart of pellet smokers and you can't mess with the Pellet Boss! But, I love the YS640 on a comp cart, that is a serious looking Q!

But, for the OP, I'd recommend taking a hard look at the Blazn Grill Gridiron or Grand Slam models. The controller on those is pretty awesome. A family member upgraded their Trager with one of Blazn's controllers and his Q is more steady than my MAK. Either that, or it uses a really dumbed down algorithm and doesn't show the user what the actual temps are.

But, it's a nice sturdy smoker with a good controller at a decent price. That's my .02.

Goosehunter51

10-4, how much food can you get on the Mak? I have a Traeger Texas Pro and love the size of the grill? I am going to upgrade and I am where you were. Are you happy with your choice?

bubbatdog

I'll be able to answer that a little better on Monday as I am doing a big cook. I do wish it was a little bigger, but with the shelves it is as big as I will need most of the time.

The flavor in the wings and the prime rib I have done on it was incredible. The grill held its temp very well in the wind and didn't use near many pellets as my Jim Bowie, granted that is bigger.

More than happy so far, and the mobile unit is awesome. Used it on the prime rib. Was nice not to have to check it every hour.

Big Poppa

Administrator
farfromovin you can set your pellet boss to give you a broader average..but are are very astute it is the algorithm If your home oven really told you the temps we would all be nuts by now

Mikekll

I owned a Green Mountain Grill. It was one of the worst experiences of my life. I had enormous problems with it. I finally got so frustrated I took a huge financial loss just to get it out of my hair. I then bought a MAK II Star General and my life has been tranquil and BBQ laden since. Spend the money once. I spent the money twice and lost a bunch of $$$ on round number 1.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Man thats the hardest advice to give but the best...as a dealer they dont listen to you ....they think you are upselling

mcschlotz

Never the less, the adage is accurate. Buy Once - Cry Once and it will SAVE you $$$. After many years I finally started to figure that out. Never had a smoker and made the decision to go pellets. My search for a pellet smoker was extensive but it paid off. Got the MAK 2 Star (from our friends at BPD :cool: ) and have never looked back. Top product from great people!

Top Bottom