Puzzled but maybe for no reason .

HogSmoker

Friend of mine wanted me to smoke a couple turkey breast for him. So just like I have done in the past put them on smoke setting for about 1 hour then bumped temp up to 275. Set the probe temps for 165* on the MAK One star. These breast was 6 1/2 and a 7 pd ea. So I'm figuring 3.0 hrs max for the cook , however at the 3 hr mark INT is at 135*. Long story short the breast INT @ 165 for for the 6.5 pd breast was 4.5 hrs the other breast 7.0 pd was close too 5 hrs.
So my question is does this time ed cook sound about right? Also the day here was mid 50's little windy but MAK temp was spot on no issues with temp control.

Thanks for any thoughts or advice you might have and experiences.
HS

TentHunter

I can think of a couple of possibilities.

1) Did you have them on the upper rack this time and maybe you cooked previous ones on the bottom grate?

2) Were they brined? If so I can see the extra moisture causing a stall like you would experience with a pork shoulder or brisket.

That's my 2¢ worth... Oh man, that breaks down to a penny for each idea! :rolleyes:

HogSmoker

Hmmmm yep one thing I did do different was they were cooked on top rack. They were frozen when they was purchased I had thawed them out in the frig, but breast was cold. Maybe these two things made the time difference.
Thanks for the insights I will find out how good they were from my friend next time see him.
Oh and I do remember the INT when I first put probes in breast was 39* and 41* does that sound about right after the thaw?

Last edited:
Top Bottom