steak sear

TentHunter

If you mean the MAK Griddle, yes; it works very well for getting an overall sear. Cast iron griddles do too. They just take a bit longer to heat up.

That's one thing that's been a little Disappointing in my opinion. I'm not trying to start a war or anything. MAK has this updated flamezone out for nearly 2 years now. Not one video on their site or on this tech part of the forum. I would think that since almost all pellet grills struggle with actual grilling that this would be something that they would want to showcase to sell their product. I mean no disrespect but I think you're selling you & your potential customers a little short on this area.

turbov6camaro

If you mean the MAK Griddle, yes; it works very well for getting an overall sear. Cast iron griddles do too. They just take a bit longer to heat up.

i have a cast iron also, yes it take a while to heat up, its heavy, and trying to find a place for it out of the grill to cool down when done using it is a challenge LOL bpuls trying to maneuver a 600+ degrill 15 lb hunk of iron is not fun!

so yes the MAC griddle is what i was referring too :)

turbov6camaro

That's one thing that's been a little Disappointing in my opinion. I'm not trying to start a war or anything. MAK has this updated flamezone out for nearly 2 years now. Not one video on their site or on this tech part of the forum. I would think that since almost all pellet grills struggle with actual grilling that this would be something that they would want to showcase to sell their product. I mean no disrespect but I think you're selling you & your potential customers a little short on this area.

as a guy that just PLACED my order, i was very close to buying another brand but lucky the people at reddit stered me the correct way.
I think you should leave the rating at 500 degree maybe say smoke/pellet mode then make another line for how hot you can get a surface in direct mode eg (example numbers here)

500 degree smoke mode, Air temp
900 degree direct flame mode on MAK griddle, surface temp

air temp does not matter for searing the temp of the surface is what matters.

so yes you nearly lost may sale becuse of lack of info on the new flame zone, reddit customers of yours saved it. :) they should get some free stuff LOL

MAK DADDY

I hear you and sorry we haven't done a very good job promoting the retrofit kit. We are a lot better at building the best grills on the planet then we are at all the marketing stuff! I will get to work on a tech talk about this upgrade and post it later in the week. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. In the meantime this thread explains some of the features and what customers have said about the upgrade.

"New flamezone griddle and searing grate questions"

Not sure how to link to it but hoping someone here will help me out :)

I have a question. Since the fire pit is in the middle of the grill. Even with the FZ covers on. Won't the grill be hot in the middle? Thanks

mcschlotz

Nope. The disbursement is funneled correctly so that the heat is basically even throughout. Of course if you remove just one FZ cover then the heat will obviously find is way to that area. Path of least resistance... Bob and his crew have been at this for a long time, and the redesigned flame zone has been a very nice improvement. I originally started with a 2014 model and now have the latest. The 2014 was still very good but the latest with the redesign is noticeably better in a number of aspects.

Last edited:

mcschlotz

Only if you want them to be. If you want two temp areas, leave one on. In that case I would leave the front one on.

TentHunter

Yes but if you're grilling. Won't both covers be off?

Not necessarily; it depends an what you're doing.

If I need the whole surface for grilling then yes, both covers come off.

However, I often grill with just one FZ cover off (usually the back), and use the front side (with the FZ cover on) as a cooler cook zone for things that don't require the direct high heat. This is also the case when using the griddle up front. The griddle gets too hot with the cover off and things tend to burn (don't ask me how I know :rolleyes:).

Top Bottom