The New FlashFire (tm) Ignitor from MAK Grills

M in MAK

I got my FlashFire Ignitor to replace my old one that no longer works but my MAK 2 is #481 and I don't have any rivets to drill out. What else can I do as I need to use it on Friday and have people coming over for a BBQ! I originally got the grill from Big Poppa Smokers so shouldn't they have known to send me a template too?

Thanks.

Good morning smokerjoe,

Sorry to hear that your new FlashFire kit was missing the template for you 2 Star. We at MAK are working with BPS in order to solve this for you as fast as possible.

I also wanted to tell you that the MAK Grill can still be used WITHOUT an igniter installed at all. I know this isn't the perfect solution at this time but if you ever need to use your grill in a pinch, like this upcoming BBQ you are hosting, follow our Manual Lighting Instructions to fire up your MAK.

-Unplug the grill from the power source.
-Remove fan/access panel (the fan panel and pellet hopper lid are connected together on your grill).
-Unplug the igniter from the back of the Pellet Boss® control board. Make sure that the plug end is out of the way of the fan blades.
-Re-attach the fan/access panel and secure it.
-With a clean firepot, add a small handful of fresh pellets to the firepot.
-Add 2 Tablespoons of either alcohol fire gel or hand sanitizer (same thing, really) to the pellets and mix it in.
-Drop a lit match into the firepot.
-Wait 3-5 minutes and allow the fire in the firepot to become established (otherwise the fan will blow out your flame).
-Replace interior components—making sure you don’t get burnt.
-Turn on grill and cook as normal. The pellets that fall will be lit by your established fire and the grill will move to your setpoint and cook as normal.

If you have other questions, please click on this link to our FAQs page for additional support help: MAK FAQs | MAK Grill

Or give us a call at (503) 623-1234 and we will be happy to help.

-Matt

smokerjoe

MAK is overnight shipping me the template, can't beat that! Good to know how to manually light it if I have to as well.

Thanks

SmokinMAK

Can someone post a pic or something of the dimensions of the template? I purchased on recently, requested the template, and didn't receive one. Now my MAK is torn apart on the only non-rainy day we are expecting for a while, and I can't install the damn upgrade!!

383inTheD

Upgrade done!

I just recently did the upgrade to FlashFire and it is great. It seems to be more noticeable how much quicker it is getting up to temp with the colder weather now here in the northern tier of the country.

I too had to wait for the template to come afterward to complete the installation but overall it went in like a factory install. Great engineering MAK!

Bithlord

I purcahsed this upgrade this past winter and it's been sitting on my desk, waiting for seasonably warm weather so I can do the installation.

Seasonally warm weather is here.

Is there anyone / anywhere that has a step by step guide to installing it? I'm not mechanically inept, but I'd rather learn from other peoples efforts than learn from my own :).

rwalters

I purcahsed this upgrade this past winter and it's been sitting on my desk, waiting for seasonably warm weather so I can do the installation.

Seasonally warm weather is here.

Is there anyone / anywhere that has a step by step guide to installing it? I'm not mechanically inept, but I'd rather learn from other peoples efforts than learn from my own :).
If in your shoes, I'd email Bruce at MAK and ask him for instructions.

[email protected]

TentHunter

The kit comes with step by step instructions. If you can't find them, then like rwalters said, you need to contact Bruce or Matt at MAK and have them send or email the instructions. I've installed two of these in two different grills and they're not hard to install at all.

Installed my new Flashfire on #500 today. With the template included, it was extremely easy, even for someone like me with no mechanical aptitude. Instructions were easy to follow. It was lit within 2:30 min and up to the smoke set point temp within 5 minutes. Wow! I love the improvements. Thanks MAK!

Q16

I purchased the new ignitor, but rivets do not go through to bottom. I have no idea were to drill the two rivets out from bottom underneath grill. Any thoughts ?

TentHunter

Yes... Call MAK Grills! They are as close as your phone and can answer your question for your model & SERIAL# MAK.

Top Bottom