Today was a very good day thanks to BPS!

TTNuge

Well I finally decided to bite the bullet today and paid for the Johnny Trigg BBQ class this November. Hate to miss the opening of Deer Hunting here in Minnesota but a man has to have his priorities. Fortunately due to some Credit Card points and hotel stays I have 2 free round trip tickets coming, 1 totally free night at a Starwood hotel and 2 additional nights at only $60 each. If I go by myself I got it so my travel costs for air, hotel and car rental is right at $150 for 2 nights. If we're lucky enough to get my wife free to come along then prices may go up a little because of an extra night or two of hotel and car rental but still, total travel on the cheap! Can't wait to meet Johnny as well as the BPS crew, I only wish it was sooner!

Secondly, had to leave work today at noon to wait for a package. Been waiting for about a month but it looks to be well worth it. Can't wait to fire this bad boy up, got some big thick ribeyes for dinner tonight. Going to head out now to give it a little seasoning.

IMG_4058-vi.jpg

IMG_4060-vi.jpg

IMG_4059-vi.jpg

Trent

BBQ Joe

Very nice addition to your arsenal. Can't wait to see the results and to hear about the Trigg class. Congrats!

5 Hole

She's perty. I nominate the PR 36 for the "BBQ Grill Hall of Fame".

Look forward to meeting you at the class.

TTNuge

She sure is beautiful but in an in your face utilitarian sort of way. I love it.

Here she is next to her new friend, fitting right in.

IMG_4069-vi.jpg

There will definitely be a bit of a learning curve but this Ribeye sure didn't mind learning. Was a touch past medium rare but the flash did wash out the color a bit as well. Started them on the opposite side of the charcoal until 110 and them placed them right over the lump until they reached ~135. Put a foiled pouch of pellets over the charcoal during the first portion and seemed to work good.

IMG_4064-vi.jpg

IMG_4067-vi.jpg

I didn't get the temps out of the grill I would have liked but I think I can attribute that to two things. First, I don't think I used enough lump, it's a big grill and I'm guessing you can't go skimpy on the charcoal if you want to see high temps. And secondly, my lump has been sitting outside in a Kingsford container for over a month, through several rain storms as well as 83% humidity today (A new record) so I don't think it burned quite as good as it should have. I'll try net time with some fresh stuff.

BTW, I just got the standard PR36, no frills and I love it. It's main purpose is going to be high heat for now so I don't see myself cooking low and long and needing to add more charcoal or anything. Most the time the charcoal will be in the upper tray, not below. So glad I got this beast and can't wait till we are in sync!

Trent

Greg

I see you purchased a Meadow Creek grill. I have ordered one for my bar which is a BQ 96 and hopefully will be here within a week or two. How does the craftmanship look on your grill? I have heard good things about their grills.

Greg

Big Poppa

Administrator
Greg I think you will like it a lot Next time give us a shot at the sale!

Trent you did everything right...cook with the hood closed on the indirect side and pull the steaks and open the hood and let the charcoal take off and sear then...Lump loves oxygen!

Greg

Sure will give you a shot. I did it over the net and wasn't sure who I was dealing with. Probably going to order some options and will be more than happy to run them by you. Going to grill chickens at the bar on Sundays during Packer games throughout the winter so should be interesting experience. Thanks

TTNuge

I see you purchased a Meadow Creek grill. I have ordered one for my bar which is a BQ 96 and hopefully will be here within a week or two. How does the craftmanship look on your grill? I have heard good things about their grills.

Greg

The craftsmanship was outstanding, literally built like a tank. Definitely a bit on the more rustic side, not as refined as my MAK but totally built with a purpose.

BTW, I hope you're too busy crying over a Packers loss to grill them chickens! ;-)

TTNuge

Greg I think you will like it a lot Next time give us a shot at the sale!

Trent you did everything right...cook with the hood closed on the indirect side and pull the steaks and open the hood and let the charcoal take off and sear then...Lump loves oxygen!

Good to know, I did exactly that except I ended up cooking with the grill closed a bit during the direct cooking just because the IT was still lower than I expected. But then of course it caught up with me and started to overshoot. Next time I'll keep it open after moving them over above the coals.

Greg

Will be feeding your Viking fans too as my bar is just on the other side of the river and we get a lot of them for games. Worried abot them chocking on the bones though as they think they are filleted.

Top Bottom