Waaaaa Laaaaa! 8th wonder... and the first practice cook of 2012!!

ACW3

BP,
I will make room for a new rub! Besides, I haven't added any new rubs in a while.

Art

sparky

Spark, The point has a nice fat layer which will take much more heat without drying out. Cooking the flat and the point together is like cooking a butt and a pork loin for the same time. I hope the masters will chime in!

can you buy just the point? cooking the point would be like cooking a pork butt more or less. i've only cooked flats before and they all come out like shoe leather. i have cooked 20 flats or so and haven't liked any of them. ever. :(

Big Poppa

Administrator
OK let me stop this hijack with some superior wisdom....Most comp cookers foil their buts and briskets anywhere from 140-175...

Spark I always do even if not in competition...I speeds up the cook especially the stall...

Matt Glad you like it

Spark I may have some samples...hehehehe

Big Poppa

Administrator
also some cooks separate their points from their flats....WE dont.

Spark the problem with just buying the poin is that only the top layer is decent. the bottom after the fat cap is pretty much fatty tender dog food.

HoDeDo

Sorry folks, was out for a couple days! Here we go:

yes sir re bob. those burnt ends look so good. ok, newb question. why did you cut the point from the flat before your cooked them and how do you know where to cut them? sorry, but i just don't know.
I do it so I get more bark and rub into the large cut of meat. It does also tighten cook times. We can get into ALOT more detail but that is "jist" of it.

Looking real good. Weather here in Kansas, and Great Bend has been 60°. Now I hope that this does not throw off your game plan for the Febuary cookoff.
I'll be ready for the Chest to Chest Brisket Invitational, and will likely be using both my 640 and 8th wonder. IT made tasty burnt ends!

can you buy just the point? cooking the point would be like cooking a pork butt more or less. i've only cooked flats before and they all come out like shoe leather. i have cooked 20 flats or so and haven't liked any of them. ever. :(
We can fix that. but its more than a post to talk about. I think we have covered some of my brisket technique in other threads, I'll do a search and see what I can find... but we can discuss. no need to shoeleather a brisket again.

So how did the Yoder 640 do? I have heard mixed reviews but trust what you have to say.
Well you saw the pictures right? :) LOL It did great. Nice color, smoke ring, and the smoke flavor profile I like.

I really like the 8th wonder, and will be trying it paired with my chicken marinade next. I think it will pair well, so we may end up a one rub show for the first several comps this year and see if we cant kick some butt. I'll be doing practice cooks the next couple weeks.

sparky

plz post your practice cooks. i never to old not to learn from the masters. someday i will cook a perfect brisket. :) wont be today. football and FT's all around and maybe some abt's.

Big Poppa

Administrator
cooking one now....and Andy we are using it on chicken and brisket and pork....maybe even ribs....thats my next project

cowdog

Yes, please post your previous brisket cooks for those of us that have issues with brisket turning in to shoe leather.

Top Bottom