Waaaaa Laaaaa! 8th wonder... and the first practice cook of 2012!!

HoDeDo

Thats right... It was a balmy 20-something degrees on 1/2... but that is the perfect time for me to kick off a practice cook. Winter Q in Great Bend is just around the corner (2/25!) - western KS in Feb is usually single digit temps, snow, etc... so why not!

As you will see below... I snagged a 19.50lb Prime packer on 12/5, so it has aged about 32 days from the pack date. Pair of butts along for the ride...
Trimed out I have 12lb flat, and 6lb point!!! awesome! Here we go:
1stcook2012-01.jpg

1stcook2012-02.jpg

1stcook2012-03.jpg

1stcook2012-05.jpg

Trimmed out and seasoned... but what is that shaker with no label...
1stcook2012-04.jpg

Out to the patio... what cooker to fire up for this practice cook. I want to test the 640 in sub-freezing temps! so Bingo, fire her up!
1stcook2012-06.jpg

1stcook2012-07.jpg

Here is the meat going into the cooker after a nice rest to let the mystery rub work its magic:
1stcook2012-08.jpg

OK folks, more than 10 pics, so I am breaking this into two posts...

HoDeDo

And now to resume our programming....
Meat color and bark texture are getting there... and we are at 160, so time to wrap!
1stcook2012-09.jpg

1stcook2012-10.jpg

WaaaaLaaa the finished product!!! Check out this point. Killer burnt ends:
1stcook2012-12.jpg

And the flat had that perfect pull, and passed my 'hang' test. Moist, juicy, and the flavor POPPED!
1stcook2012-14.jpg

1stcook2012-15.jpg

Sorry, no final butt pics, we loved the brisket so much the camera didnt get picked up again when we tore into the pork. So what was in that non-descript rub shaker??? 8th Wonder! I had a shaker arrive with instructions to try it out... so I taste it and think BEEF! but from posts and other feedback it is good on pork also.... One of my favorite rubs, Bovine Bold (beef rub) I used on my pork ALOT and scored well... so I think this may be a great pork rub too! It has just enough acid (assuming citric) that it brought all the flavors to the surface and really made them pop. loved it.

Ok, so you can see I have about 1 oz or 2 left from my couple of tests with it... I'll take bids on it now hahahaha. (kidding, you can't have it! LOL) Hurry up with the labels, BP :rolleyes:

Big Poppa

Administrator
I actually created it for pork....but I try all of my crazy rubs on everything....we will be using it on all of our meats this year even comp chicken.....Andy you =need another bottle....rip, susan, deb, sparky, scooter, carterq,art,dan, trent, flbent, ahahahahahahahah
It will be here before you know it!

CarterQ

Looks killer Andy!

....rip, susan, deb, sparky, scooter, carterq,art,dan, trent, flbent, ahahahahahahahah
It will be here before you know it!

BP your such a tease! Can't wait to try out a new rub, the current rotation needs some freshening up!

TTNuge

That brisket looks KILLER! I need some of those burnt ends. And prime brisket for $2.48 a pound, dayum!

I may be in San Jose for 2 weeks in Feb for training. I know it's a long drive but don't make me come down there!

Rip

Oh Yeah! Thanks for the report Andy! I will be trying ASAP! (I'm assuming the 640 held up it's end?)

sparky

Andy, so your wrap your brisket and butts @ 160°? i do like letting the butts go to 195° unwrapped until i take it off. but always willing to try something new?

Last edited:

Chili Head

I cant wait to try it!
BP hopefully it will catapult your cooking team to the next level.

Last edited:

sparky

The brisket and ends look tasty for sure!

yes sir re bob. those burnt ends look so good. ok, newb question. why did you cut the point from the flat before your cooked them and how do you know where to cut them? sorry, but i just don't know.

sparky

Kevin & I cleaned the rub cupboard yesterday, there is room for another.

ya, over the holidays i had 3 tubs of spices. my wife told me to get it down to two tubs. i did it. ready for some new rubs in the stable. :)

kskomodo04

Looking real good. Weather here in Kansas, and Great Bend has been 60°. Now I hope that this does not throw off your game plan for the Febuary cookoff.

RickB

yes sir re bob. those burnt ends look so good. ok, newb question. why did you cut the point from the flat before your cooked them and how do you know where to cut them? sorry, but i just don't know.

Spark Im going to chance a guess on this. Since I screwed one up so bad. The point has a nice fat layer which will take much more heat without drying out. Cooking the flat and the point together is like cooking a butt and a pork loin for the same time. I hope the masters will chime in! My point came out great, my flat , shoe leather.

Last edited:
Top Bottom