MAK Wi-Fi Web App, www.makgrillsmobile.com

CDN Smoker

Future MAK owner

How will the new WIFI system work? Will you be able to control your smoker from your computer? I have seen some systems using a Stoker set up but I think that is so you can monitor your meat probes not actually control the smoker.

Thanks,
CDN.

cowdog

From the beginning of this thread....

Eventually :) Our plan is to release the main App then add pages for graphing, recipes, user program sharing etc.

You can already set up timers, probe alarms, user programs etc. with email or text notifications. All the meat probes can be labeled for what food your cooking as well as adjust all the normal Pellet Boss functions.

trickle20

I received this just over a week ago:
"We are hoping to have them out by the end of this month but no promises."

So basically if it isn't ready by the end of December then it will be ready sometime after :)

MAK DADDY

We are making the production modules as we speak and testing/tweaking with the protos we have.
My best guess is a couple more weeks before we will be releasing them.
I do know the MSRP will be 299.99, that includes all access to the web application at makgrillsmobile.com and the Pellet Boss hardware.
BPS will be selling these, not sure about preorders.

You must have wireless Internet at your MAK Grills location!
You can use a cell phone as a wifi hot spot to connect the grill to as well.
You can purchase a wireless router if you only have wired Internet (must be high speed, no dial up) for around 30.00. We will test a few and list them as known solutions on the website when we get that far.

Once connected you can control the grill with any device that has Internet access; laptop, desktop, smart phone, tablet etc.

SoDakSmokerGolfer

So am I reading this right that there is not a MAK app but rather the new wifi module will allow the grill to host its own web page? Then once the grill is on your local network you can use a web browser to view the web page at the IP address of the grill?

trickle20

G, but N is backwards compatible from what I am being told.

The wireless N routers are generally backwards compatible with G but (there always a but) they may not be configured that way. For example, I have a wireless N router that is configured only for N -- if I configure it for G it will actually cause my bandwidth to drop down to G levels. But I have two networks -- a G network and an N network -- so this doesn't affect me. Just make sure you get it in the requirements that it uses G and to consult the owner's manual of the router to verify the configuration for G.

TentHunter

Bob, will it support the standard 802.11g maximum range of about 100 feet?

I guess the "g" protocol does make more sense. I know that 802.11g is actually much better at penetrating walls than 802.11n.

Cliff

MAK DADDY

Cliff, yes standard range, you can wire an extension on your router out by the grill if you are one of those that has range issues.
Trickle, thanks for the advice we will do that!
SoDakSmokerGolfer, you are correct you will simply log into makgrillsmobile.com with a user name and password to access your MAK. You can add as many MAK's as you want but they each must have a wifi module.

jimsbarbecue

Airport

I understand It will be web based so using Apples Airport should be no issue and it will be tested on one. The Extreme differs in that it is a dual band router just as a Linksys EA2700. The G band that the MAK grill will run on is what all present iOS devices iPhone, iPad etc run on. I think the issue will be what quality of wireless signal you get at your MAK Grill. If you go to where your MAK grill is with your iPhone if you have only 1 bar it maybe a concern.

trickle20

Oops..one other question...will it be able to connect to networks secured with WEP or the different flavors of WPA encryption?

Top Bottom