Bflodan at the wheel for this weeks contest! Everybody enter and soak me

Spinny

TH, applause for a great looking steak! I've been hearing great reviews on the reverse searing method!

Patrick_CT

I have been trying to get babybacks done right... but I think I finally nailed it. These were my best ribs yet.
Used CYM, BPLL w/p and smoked chipolte paprika as the seasoning. I found it best to mix it all together in a bowl then brush it on with a silicone brush.
DSC08926.jpg

Each hour I basted them with a mix of apple juice, rum and agave.

1 hour in I added sliced up new potatoes mixed with EVOO, garlic dude dust and parmesan cheese.
DSC08928.jpg

After 3 hours I foiled the ribs with some love: brown sugar, agave and a couple pads of butter.
DSC08929.jpg

Pulled the ribs at about 4.5 hours and turned the heat up to 350 to finish the potatoes along with the some fresh veggie skewers ( evoo and a little seasoning )
DSC08931.jpg

Ribs went into the holding drawer to rest while the veggies and potatoes finish.

Since the grill was at the right temp, I threw in some store bought sugar cookies for the kids to have for dessert. (everyone laughed at me... but there were none left)
DSC08936.jpg

Dinner done.. with Stella Artois tonight:
DSC08942.jpg

And the cookies done:
DSC08944.jpg

I normally cook for a tough crowd, but I got some of the best compliments on the ribs. No one even reached for a BBQ sauce. The cookies were good but it still does not count as a true dessert... that remains on the list :)

smoker pete

MAK Grilled Lingcod

Tom, my neighbor, went fishing at Half Moon Bay, CA with some friends for Lingcod and Rock fish and he kindly shared some fresh Lingcod with me. For those of you who may never have seen Lingcod filets you might be surprised to see that one filet is blueish green while the other is white. It's comes down to different varieties of the fish. Not to worry, it's all Great!!

Spritzed both sides of the Lingcod filets with Annie's Roasted Garlic EVOO and lightly sprinkled them with Fagundes Seasoning. Preheated the MAK 2 Star to 400ºF. Grilled the Lingcod for about 14 minutes at 400ºF until the fish flaked easily with a fork.

LingCod1.jpg

Lingcod are almost primeval looking - huge, gaping mouths with sharp fang like teeth. Lingcod are native to the rocky shores of North American's Pacific coast and offers a taste and succulence similar to halibut — it cooks up white, sweet and delicious, a great addition to many a meal.

Contrary to their name, they are not true cods, but are Greenlings. Lingcod are voracious predators and can grow to weigh over 80 pounds (35 kg) and measure 60 inches (150 cm) in length. Their color is variable, usually with dark brown or copper blotches arranged in clusters.

ling1.jpg

The money $shot ... Half a filet of each Lincod with a nice salad topped with cherry tomatoes from the garden ... Notice how each Lingcod filet is white when fully cooked. The Lingcod on the right was the blueish green filet.

LingCod2.jpg

Kevin Arsenault

This week I decided to make smoked beef wellingtons for me, my parents, and grandparents who were visiting.

I started off a few hours early by smoking some beef tenderloin. While they were smoking I sprinkled on some English steak rub. I stopped once they reached about 110 degrees in the center. I let them chill in the fridge afterwards.
photo%252520%2525283%252529.JPG

I decided on having two fillings for the wellingtons, mushroom and garlic pesto. For the mushroom I chopped some bellas and red onion in a food processor, added some thyme, and evoo and cooked it in a pan. For the pesto I already had some in the fridge.
Next I broke out some puffed pastry, rolled it out, and plopped some filling down, then the meat, and then I put some more filling on top, and around the edge of the meat.
photo%252520%2525282%252529.JPG

I sealed the meat by folding and using a brush with a little egg yolk.

I put the wellingtons back into the smoker at around 400 degrees and also decided to add some asparagus.
photo%252520%2525281%252529.JPG

photo.JPG

While cooking I started on a sauce for the mushroom wellington, using condensed beef stock, more bella mushroom, water, and the English rub from before.

The meat ended up cooking a lot more than I expected it to, but even with it being medium/medium done it still retained a lot of it's juice, and the sauce added a lot of kick of flavor. I also tried the pesto one and did not enjoy it as much (I think I put too much pesto on, or there was too much garlic in the pesto) but everyone seemed to enjoy it.
cropped2.jpg

Last edited:

ACW3

Deb,
What is Kevin studying in school? Cooking, I hope. You won't have to take a long road trip with Kevin at the grill.

Art

FLBentRider

3 Racks 3 Rubs

3 Racks 3 Rubs
Three racks of baby backs
The players:
DSC_1307.jpg

John Henry's Raspberry Chipolte
Soileau's*
Uncle Joes Rub down*

*Thanks STC!

Rubbed down and ready for the MAK 2 star
DSC_1308.jpg

On to the MAK with Perfect Mix pellets
DSC_1309.jpg

Some FL in FL
DSC_1310.jpg

Done
DSC_1311.jpg

Served
DSC_1313.jpg

DSC_1312.jpg

DSC_1314.jpg

The raspberry chipolte is really good, and Soilieau's is just plain good. The kids really liked the Uncle Joes, since it had less kick than the other two.

Last edited:

ITFD#15

Good show everyone. I said that I was in this weekend, well just figured that I have no patch cord for my 30D or for my small Kodak. (lost in
the move)
So I am on the sidelines this weekend..
Wow never thought that I would see lingcod on this site. We have ling in the great lake and quit often catch them threw the ice while fishing
for white fish and no one keeps them, I may have to try them next time.
Once again nice job everyone cant wait to see how this plays out

squirtthecat

Italian Beef Basketball, Back Ribs and Hog Apple Beans..

[flash back to yesterday AM]

Having a big family feed on Sunday. My brother and family are back in town and this is the first time we've all been together in years.. Gonna feed 14.

Let's do it!

IMGP3831.JPG

The players..

IMGP4370.JPG

First up, big meaty loin back ribs.

HC and CT. My old standby. Channeling Tacoma again, we need some rain to green things up.

IMGP4376.JPG

IMGP4381.JPG

Next, the Sirloin Tip Basketball. Around 8.5 pounds.

IMGP4382.JPG

Trimmed a bit, and slathered up with a gravy of wooster and Louie's Italian Beef Seasoning. Onto the top rack..

IMGP4385.JPG

Gracie is intrigued.

IMGP4378.JPG

Meanwhile, in Traegerland..

Bulk sausage and Burgers' Smokehouse bacon for the Hog Apple Beans. And some dumpster rub to jazz it up.

IMGP4386.JPG

IMGP4391.JPG

Hmm.. Got some bacon left. Waste not, want not.

IMGP4389.JPG

Pits are at 250°, lids down. I'll run out later and probe that Basketball. Gonna take it to 130° and then wrap up tight for a night in the fridge. Part II for him Sunday AM.

To be continued..

squirtthecat

Italian Beef Basketball, Back Ribs and Hog Apple Beans.. [cont]

Ain't nothing like bacon off of the Pellet Pooper..

IMGP4393.JPG

Almost too pretty to eat. But I think I will anyway. :D

IMGP4396.JPG

Last edited:

squirtthecat

It's a pork party...

IMGP4399.JPG

Resting now in the microwave. I'll snack a bit, then chop it up for the beans.

Last edited:

squirtthecat

Ribs are coming along nicely... I bumped the temp down a bit. I'm in no hurry here.

IMGP4402.JPG

ET-732 is monitoring the Basketball. 117° right now..

--

Bean time.. 2 cans beans, apple pie filling, chopped smoked bacon, chopped fattie (minus the end portions for quality control), 1/2 jar Blues Hog sauce, shot of CYM and chopped yellow pepper for color. A few shakes of Onion powder and Fagundes rub as well.

IMGP4409.JPG

Fold it together. (I have a pan under this pan for a reason)

IMGP4413.JPG

And into the Traeger at 250°. Probably for an hour or so.

IMGP4417.JPG

Ribs are about ready to come off. I'll pull them when I pull the Beef Basketball.

IMGP4415.JPG

Last edited:

squirtthecat

Done and done.

IMGP4427.JPG

IMGP4432.JPG

Everybody is foiled up and resting in coolers for a while..

Last edited:

squirtthecat

I let the beans go for another hour, and came home from Church to see the cone forming above the almost empty auger gears... Whoops.

Anyway - done.

IMGP4436.JPG

I'll cool it all down and toss in the fridge tonight. Reheat in the morning, then head to my Aunt's place around 1PM. Everyone is arriving around 1:30.

The basketball will go on the slicer, then into a crockpot of Louie's mixed with the pepperoncinis and some water to make an Au Jus base. The thin slices will continue to cook down so they are tender- and not mooing. :beef:

I'll update in the morning with the sliced Ball O' Beef pictures.

It sure smells good out in the kitchen/laundry room... We'll probably have a frozen pizza for dinner. :D

Last edited:

squirtthecat

[morning has broken...]

Medium rare ball-o-beef..

IMGP4442.JPG

Sliced. (had trouble with some of the fattier areas you see above, so I trimmed those away by hand)

IMGP4448.JPG

Mixed the drippings with water and the juice from another jar of pepperoncini. Another packet of Louie's was added to that and brought to a simmer. Everything dumped over the beef and sitting on 'low'.

IMGP4450.JPG

Beans are reheating, and I'll probably heat the ribs on the gasser at the party. Or I might just go out and toss them on the MAK for an hour or two on 'smoke'.

--

Reheating the ribs in the MAKrowave.. Then it's time to load the car and go.

IMGP4453.JPG

--

And... It was a hit. Beef is GONE. There was 2/3rds of a rack of ribs left, and the nieces & nephews were going to save it for a late night snack in front of the TV.

The Italian Beef Basketball stole the show.

Last edited:

383inTheD

Guyana Garlic Pork Tenderloin with Plum Sauce

I started out by preparing this special marinade for the tenderloin to chill out in for a few days. The ingredients were 1/4 lb garlic, 2 onions, fresh thyme, 1 Habanero, salt, fresh lime juice, and vinegar. Take it for a spin in the food processor to make a nice slurry. Pour over the tenderloin for 2 to 7 days. I gave it 72 hours.

Once it was THE day arrived, I prepped a homemade plum sauce with the ingredients shown. The aroma that was coming off of the plum mixture as it reduced was fantastic. Meanwhile, I had to prepare the remaining side dishes. I planned to serve the pork along with a potato & bean salad with dill dressing (cold), a squash casserole and artichokes. The latter two I cooked on the MAK.

The casserole was a blue hubbard squash base that was topped with shredded coconut and walnuts. Sorry, forgot the pic of when it was on the grill. The artichokes were prepared with an initial steaming and then onto the grill with a little EVOO and balsamic.

Food011-1.jpg

The pork was cooked until IT hit 135 then tented for 20 minutes while the casserole finished. The meat came out wonderful. Just a slight hue of pink, juicy, and just the right amount of residual garlic-onion-habanero kick. The plum sauce was a nice touch of sweet and savory to mask the intensity of the marinade. Honestly, I don't know if I could eat this if it marinated for a whole week in this stuff...

Food012-2.jpg

The squash was a big hit with everyone dipping in for seconds. This is a light dish that comes out almost with the consistency of a souffle. My artichokes need some work but I am not disappointed for my first time cooking them.

This week I decided to try making a dessert. I've never cooked a pie on the MAK yet so I thought it was about time.

Food007-1-1.jpg

This is how the upside down apple pie turned out ...

Food010-1.jpg

Food014-2.jpg

Well, I learned some new things while cooking this weekend, enjoyed good food with friends and had fun doing it all. Hope you had a good one too.

smokerjoe

Brisket, Burnt Ends, Pulled Pork & ABTs (Wife's 40th b-day BBQ)

3 Eyz Rub & Kosmo's Injection in both pork and brisket. Home made sauce on burnt ends.
IMG_4800.JPG

IMG_4806.JPG

IMG_4814.JPG

IMG_4818.JPG

IMG_4852.JPG

IMG_4884.JPG

IMG_4888.JPG

IMG_4899.JPG

IMG_4907.JPG

IMG_4911.JPG

TentHunter

..Lingcod are almost primeval looking - huge, gaping mouths with sharp fang like teeth. Lingcod are native to the rocky shores of North American's Pacific coast and offers a taste and succulence similar to halibut — it cooks up white, sweet and delicious, a great addition to many a meal.

Contrary to their name, they are not true cods, but are Greenlings. Lingcod are voracious predators and can grow to weigh over 80 pounds (35 kg) and measure 60 inches (150 cm) in length. Their color is variable, usually with dark brown or copper blotches arranged in clusters.

Very informative. Great post! (looks delicious too!) :)

Top Bottom