Enter This Weeks contest and win EVERYBODY WINS!

bflodan

Honeycomb Crusted Kurobuta Pork Rib Roast

Wanted to try something a little different and Ive been thinking about this idea for awhile... I got a nice Kurobuta Pork Roast from the local Butcher.. I then took some Honeycomb and mashed with the back of a spoon and spread it best I could all over the roast and then seasoned with some Little Louies and some Obie-Cues... I also had some left over Short Ribs that I decided to add also...
001-5.jpg

002-2.jpg

004-5.jpg

For the Short Ribs I used a little Carolina Treet as glue and then some Little Louies and Obie-Cues..
003-5.jpg

006-7.jpg

I pulled the Roast when it hit about 155 and let it rest I also pulled the Short Ribs at the same time...They where at about 183
009-5.jpg

008-6.jpg

014-1.jpg

Plated with some Roasted Yukons and a Salad(not shown)..
015-2.jpg

016-1.jpg

We LOVED it!! Cant wait to do this one again!!

FLBentRider

I smoked Momma's Meat Loaf

The Mrs had a meat loaf ready to go Saturday afternoon, She usually does it in the oven, I suggested the MAK.

Onto the MAK @325F with Perfect mix pellets
DSC_0445Medium.jpg

Ready for Sauce
DSC_0446Medium.jpg

Sauced and ready to rest
DSC_0447Medium.jpg

Time to Slice

DSC_0448Medium.jpg

Sliced
DSC_0450Medium.jpg

DSC_0449Medium.jpg

Plated with some fresh corn on the cob on the side
DSC_0451Medium.jpg

It was a little crispy on the bottom, but overall very good

TentHunter

Saturday's Dinner

Saturday evening's menu includes:

- Black Walnut Smoked Short Ribs with Bourbon BBQ Sauce
- BBQ Bourbon Baked Beans
- ABT's & Chili Cheese Poppers

Part 1: Black Walnut Smoked Short ribs with Bourbon BBQ sauce

Started with some Beef Short Ribs dusted with some Little Louie's w/Black Pepper & Smoking Guns 'Sweet Heat' rubs. Onto the Stoven with Black Walnut Pellets to smoke for a while before cranking heat up to about 275°.
SHTRIB01.JPG

Time to make some Kentucky Bourbon BBQ sauce.
SHTRIB02.JPG

Part 2: ABT's & Chili Cheese Poppers

Rewind to last week when I smoked some homemade Kielbasa. I cut a couple links into some sticks for some ABT's while the wife made up some cheddar/cream cheese filling.
SHTRIB04.JPG

We cut up some Jalapenos & Red Bell peppers.
SHTRIB05.JPG

We also mixed up some Chili-Cheese-Beef filling (Ground Beef, Sharp Cheddar, minced onion,a little salt & some chili powder.
SHTRIB06.JPG

When the short ribs had a nice color they were foiled with some braising liquid and put on to braise while the poppers smoked.
SHTRIB07.JPG

Part 3: BBQ Bourbon Baked Beans
I sautéed some Bacon with chopped onion, added some salt, pepper, smoked paprika. Dumped in two cans of beans, a little brown sugar, a cup of the homemade Bourbon BBQ Sauce and heated through.
SHTRIB08.JPG

The beans went on to pickup some smoke while the popper & ribs finished.
SHTRIB09.JPG

The ABT's were scrumptious. Smoky tender bacon on the outside and the kielbasa sticks were nice and smoky with the hot & creamy sharp cheddar filling. The Chili-Cheese Poppers had that classic southwestern flavor.
SHTRIB10.JPG

The Beef Short Ribs plated with some beans & Poppers.
SHTRIB11.JPG

The short ribs were tangy and smoky. The Black Walnut smoke is like a more robust perfumy version of hickory with a hint of saltiness that balances well with a sweet tangy sauce. The beans were also sweet & tangy, slightly spicy with a just hint of the Kentucky Bourbon.

Thanks!

Last edited:

HogSmoker

Some great looking food all entries look really tasty. I smoked baby-back ribs and they came out really good when everyone asked when are you doing this again must be a good sign . I have tried several times to put the pictures on here and enter the contest just can't get them too upload very upsetting to me.
Its always a pleasure too see all the good cooking you folks do.

sparky

Sparky's Mother's Day Ribs

been a pretty good day here. whole family together. playing some frisbee in the front yard, drinking some Ft's in the back. lots of good eats here. well, on to the show.

use my favorite rub on 1 rack of spares and 1 rack of baby backs.
P5080009.jpg

onto #336 at ?
P5080012.jpg

flipped after 1 hour
P5080016.jpg

after the 2 hour mark i wrapped w/ goodies
P5080017.jpg

after 1 more hour, ooooo. looks nice.
P5080020.jpg

back on for 1/2 hour more
P5080025.jpg

look at the color that the little louie's puts down. these are excellent color for a rib.
P5080034.jpg

put in here until the rest of dinner was done. another nice feature on the mak 2 star.
P5080049.jpg

din, din time.
P5080052.jpg

it was a great day here for us. nice to see all the kids together and their others. good to see my grandson too. alot of fun in old spark's house today.

Rip

Ribs Six Ways

Had a request for ribs today, so ribs it is!

Rounded up the usual suspects...
IMG_2235sm.jpg

Also decided to try making some Jack Daniels BBQ sauce
IMG_2238sm.jpg

Today's secret ingredient, marinaded one rack with this
IMG_2239sm.jpg

Decided to try making Jeanie's bacon wrapped brussel sprouts...no bacon, used sliced turkey instead, into the smoker drawer while the ribs cooked...(just goofing around at this point, turkey cooks nothing like bacon, need to use bacon next time and probably partially steam the brussel sprouts first) Once the ribs were done, these were moved to the main grill at 325.
IMG_2247sm.jpg

The ribs were cooked at 225, two hours naked, one hour foiled, then ~30 minutes more for mop/glaze/sauce. So lets see...we had 1 rack foiled with hot wing style sauce and as a mop. 1 rack foiled with brown sugar-butter-honey mopped with Western BBQ sauce. 1/2 rack SOW marinade/SOW in foil/SOW mop, 1/2 rack SOW marinade/SOW in foil/JD sauce mop, 1/2 rack B-S-B-H foil/JD sauce mop, 1/2 rack B-S-B-H foil with Apple Habanero Rib Candy glaze (got all that?)
Here's the family portrait:
IMG_2252sm.jpg

Ready to eat:
IMG_2253sm.jpg

My plate. One of each on the ribs, mashed potatoes and brussel sprouts (both topped with jalapeno garlic butter and smoked habanero cheddar cheese).
IMG_2255sm.jpg

And for dessert we had homemade cinnamon rolls!
IMG_2250sm.jpg

Happy Mother's Day!

Oh the verdict, top choice was JD Sauce with SOW marinade!

Last edited:

ITFD#15

Mothers Day Cook

Who wants flowers and chocolate when you can have bacon and chicken for mothers day.
On call so mom will get her goods tomorrow.
First is Pea meal Bacon or Canadian Bacon as it is sometimes called. This was a packaged cured or pickled bacon, I cut it in half to reduce the cook time and rubbed with Obie-Cues Sweet N Heat and into the Traeger at 225
Second is a spatchcock chicken with a change, I injected the bird with a mixture of 3/4 melted butter 1/4 bacon drippings and a dash of garlic power and also used it as the glue. Rubbed with my own mix and onto the grill
IMG_8823.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_8826.jpg
[/IMG]
A few hours later and a bit of a lag at 160 IT on the bacon and the chicken and one half of the bacon where pulled.
Chicken at 180 IT and bacon at 190 IT Wrapped in tinfoil and ready for delivery.
The injection was a twist and using the butter and bacon dripping gave the skin a nice crispy look.
IMG_8827.jpg
[/IMG]
Mom is lucky its mothers day because it took a lot of restraint to not dig in.

smoker pete

Mother's Day Spatchcock Chickens, ABTs, and MOINK Balls

My contribution to this year's Mother's Day celebration at my Son's house was the Chicken, and Appetizers. Picked up 4 nice Chickens at Costco. Each were about 6-lbs and I figured that would handle about a dozen people. I also decided to do some Atomic Buffalo Turds (ABTs) and MOINK Balls since I've never done either.

Chose to spike up the cream cheese with some grated cheddar cheese and Soileau's Cajun Seasoning. For good measure, I threw in a Lit'l Smokie in each ABT before wrapping it up with a half of slice of bacon. The MOINK Balls were Costo Meat Balls wrapped with a half slice of bacon.

MomDay1.jpg

Spatchcocked the Chickens and rubbed them with some Annie's Roasted Garlic EVOO and Fagundes Seasoning under and on the skin. Notice the nice plate of Chicken Livers and Hearts waiting for the sauté pan. Yum ... made for a nice snack!!

MomDay2.jpg

Pre-heated to 350º, turned it down to SMOKE and threw the spatchcock chickens in for an hour of Apple smoke.

MomDay3.jpg

After an hour of Apple smoke, bumped the Setpoint to 300º and threw in the MOINK Balls and ABTs.

MomDay4.jpg

Pulled the MOINK Balls and ABTs after about an hour and a half.

MomDay5.jpg

Pulled the chickens when the IT hit 165º in the thickest part of the breast. Took the chicken about 2 hours and 45 minutes total.

MomDay6.jpg

The money $shot ... Fall off the bone Apple Smoked Spatchcock Chickens along with some MOINK Balls and Atomic Buffalo Turds for Appetizers. A great time was had by all and best of all the Moms didn't do a thing except relax, enjoy, and be waited on ...

MomDay7.jpg

Last edited:

squirtthecat

Grad Party Butts

Just a few.. :D

IMGP2832.JPG

About 56 pounds.

I've got a bucket of Salt Lick Clone mixed up.

IMGP2825.JPG

CYM for glue, and pile the rub on.

IMGP2835.JPG

Times 2.

IMGP2845.JPG

My helpers.

IMGP2802.JPG

IMGP2829.JPG

Ran the MAK for a couple hours on 'smoke', then bumped to 230° for the overnight ride.

--

Started pulling them off around 9:30 the next morning. The last straggler came off around 1:30 in the afternoon

1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8..

Send%20To%20Picasa1.jpg

--

Gave one to a friend, and pulled the rest that evening..

IMGP2919.JPG

Bagged up and ready for delivery.

20110507203547.jpg

squirtthecat

Brake Job Ribs

A buddy of mine replaced the brakes on my car while we were in NOLA. Saved me a FORTUNE.

He only asked for some Abita beer (check!) and 'something out of the smoker' in return. Time to start paying back..

1 Traeger loaded with Hickory.

IMGP2851.JPG

Spareribs w/ tips. (times 3)

IMGP2855.JPG

CT and Meadow Creek bringing the flavor.

IMGP2852.JPG

Make a mess. (good thing it's nice outside and I can do this on the picnic table)

IMGP2857.JPG

I could only fit 3 racks and 2 tips in the Traeger.

IMGP2861.JPG

My favorite rib cooking temp.

IMGP2874.JPG

These went back in the fridge until I can get some space on the top rack of the MAK.

IMGP2859.JPG

2.5 hour mark, spritzed with some cider vinegar.

IMGP2878.JPG

Sometime around 1 that afternoon.

IMGP2904.JPG

IMGP2908.JPG

I think they broke them out for Mother's Day dinner yesterday.

TentHunter

Mothers Day Dinner

Mom said she wanted ribs. I hadn't cooked any Vidalia Onion Peach Ribs for a while so I thought they were in order. We also cooked up some Potato Puffs.

I started with a rack of spareribs trimmed to a St. Louis cut and rubbed them down with some homemade rib rub. Peaches in the recipe, so Peach pellets for smoke.
MD01.JPG

Some peaches were thawed & sliced. After two hours the ribs were foiled with some Bourbon Braising liquid: Kentucky Bourbon, brown sugar, cider vinegar & red pepper flakes. I layered some Vidalia Onions & peach slices on top, wrapped and back on for an hour to braise.
MD02.JPG

After an hour braising, the peaches, onion & smoky juices were chopped in a food processor then added to an equal amount of my homemade Bourbon BBQ Sauce. This was used to glaze the ribs.
MD03.JPG

Potato Puffs
I was looking for something to do with potatoes, I came up with these:

Dice up some potatoes and parboil them just until fork tender. Sautee a little bacon and spring onion and mix with the drained potatoes and add a little fresh cracked Black Pepper. Cut a can of puff (cresent) pastry into squares. Put a big spoonful of the potato filling in and seal.
MD04.JPG

They baked while the ribs finished, flipped them once to brown evenly.
The Frogmats worked great to keep these from sticking!
MD04b.JPG

The ribs glazed & finished.
MD05.JPG

The ribs were tender & juicy. The Bourbon-Vidalia onion-peach glazed was tangy with a hint of the sweet onion & peaches with a nice little after kick from the red pepper flakes. The slightly sweet peach smoke paired perfectly with the peaches in the glaze.
MD06.JPG

The Potato Puffs were great. Nice flaky crust & the flavor of the spring onion came through nicely in the potato bacon filling. Definitely a must do again item!
MD07.JPG

Thanks again for looking! :)

Last edited:

sparky

I trade stuff for my ribs also. love the barter system. i give you this and you give me that. it works.

Last edited:

TTNuge

Mother's Day Ribs
Made these for my Mom who loves a saucy rib. Rubbed with Little Louie's w/Pepper and some 3 Eyz Rub. Onto the MAK with smoke for 2 hours.

IMG_4004-vi.jpg

Pictures were limited due to the rain storm that passed thru, MAK and the Remote Pellet Boss kept on cooking though.

IMG_4006-vi.jpg

After being foiled for about an hour I pulled them out, cranked the MAK up to 260*, sauced right away and then once again 30 minutes later with Blue's Hog BBQ Sauce.

IMG_4008-vi.jpg

Almost missed the plated pics, the tribe was hungry. Some corn bread and mashed potatoes on the side.

IMG_4010-vi.jpg

Will approves! Good enough for me.

IMG_4011-vi.jpg

CarterQ

Mom's Day Pork Loin

Had all the Mom's over at our place yesterday and the request was for pork so I obliged.

Got a pork loin and discovered it was really 2 upon opening.....

c786f2b5.jpg

Made a marinade using soy sauce, brown sugar, dry sherry, onion, garlic, cinnamon, and olive oil

0d1bf088.jpg

Everyone into the Marinade Express

46e7378b.jpg

After marinading onto the hasty bake for a little sear over Oak lump and oak pellets

53e5b188.jpg

Let it ride on indirect heat until 155

a4275346.jpg

While the pork is cooking do some of BP's smoked taters seasoned with Desert Gold on the MAK running @400

05ab6d89.jpg

Pork Done and resting

19500abd.jpg

Sliced up

b2e8357b.jpg

Taters ready

1f64180d.jpg

Mom's day dinner is served

ff49ef7d.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom