Friday Contest Again...Cmon Newbies! 6-29-12

Kite

Ribs, corn, baked beans, and apple dumplings.. oh yeah!

I want to start by giving credit where credit is due - thanks to Big Poppa as many of the ideas used in my cook came directly from him. That being said, here we go..

DSC01693.jpg

I used BP rub glue (mustard) for a nice thin coat, then sprinkled on the rub. Then on the Memphis they went at 215..

DSC01695.jpg

Then it was on to getting the beans going. Started by frying up a little bacon, added onions, green peppers, and red peppers

DSC01697.jpg

DSC01699.jpg

DSC01700.jpg

DSC01701.jpg

Then mix it all up with the beans

DSC01704.jpg

Then added the beans to the Memphis for some smoke flavor

DSC01709.jpg

Out of picture space.. continued.

Kite

cont..

Then I got the corn going (you will see A LOT of corn from me this time of year - we LOVE it!). Using my signature garlic butter with lemon zest and on to the Memphis

DSC01716.jpg

Next up were the apples. I used pink crisp apples and they were out of this world! I also went with some gluten free pastry so Jan could enjoy them as well. They tasted absolutely divine, but they didn't look all that great. I guess you need a little gluten to make a pastry that will hold it's shape. I initially rolled it out and then tried to wrap it around the apples, but that was not happening. So I resorted to simply pushing the apples into the middle of a ball and then working it all around the apple. As I said, they don't look all that great, but my gosh, they were incredible! Jan said next time I can make them with some gluten so we can see how they are suppose to look

DSC01705.jpg

Here are the apples ready to roll

DSC01707.jpg

Ball of pastry

DSC01706.jpg

DSC01708.jpg

Apparently I didn't get a shot of them on the Memphis, sorry. Anyway, after 2 hours of smoke I bumped the grill to 250, then after another hour to 275. Ribs were on for just about 5 hours - during the last 3 hours I brushed with thinned apple juice, added more rub, and turned. Then the last half hour had souce on one side, 15 mins, turn and sauce the other side, turn, 15 mins, off the grill and rest 10 mins

DSC01718.jpg

DSC01723.jpg

DSC01720.jpg

And here we are ready to chow down!

DSC01725.jpg

Oh yeah, that hit the spot!

DSC01729.jpg

continued again.. sorry for so many pics..

Kite

cont..

And the apples came off the grill about 45 minutes after we finished dinner, just in time for that sweet tooth craving

DSC01732.jpg

Add a little organic blueberry ice cream and I am ready for some serious napping..

DSC01736.jpg

Hope you all liked the show as much as Jan and I enjoyed putting it together!

MAK Clam Bake

Decided to try something different tonight. Picked up some clams, new potatoes, fresh corn, yellow onion, andouille, and some shrimp. Cut up the corn, onion, and andouille and put in a foil pouch with the clams and shrimp. Made them single serving size. Topped with seasoning (used Emeril's Essence) and about 1/4 beer per pouch.

IMG_4144.jpg

On to the MAK at about 300°F.

IMG_4146.jpg

Pulled when the potatoes were tender and all of the clams were open.

IMG_4148.jpg

IMG_4150.jpg

Served up.

IMG_4153.jpg

I have to admit this is different than anything else I have cooked on the MAK and it came out great!

Thanks for looking!

Scallywag

Welcome home cook! So after 26 days away living in a hotel to await the birth of our son Jack and to have him go through open heart surgery at 7 days old I must say I am happy to be back and eating some REAL food! It started with a craving but somehow the better half still has a craving! So nice not to have to eat out...

Big Poppa

Administrator
having lived through a sick infant and child my heart also goes out to you...Casey is doing great at 24 and working here at BPS now!

RickB

Sunday Night Dinner. Reverse seared filet mingon with pan fried polenta cakes with crawfish etouffe.

Let’s make some crawfish etouffe.

The players

IMG_0548.jpg

IMG_0550.jpg

Lets make the roux

IMG_0547.jpg

Everyone in the pool

IMG_0551.jpg

Onto the mak for some smoke

IMG_0552.jpg

All done.
Let’s make some polenta cakes. Made the polenta and into a dish to cool

IMG_0577.jpg

Ready to pan fry

IMG_0578.jpg

Let’s season the meat

IMG_0573.jpg

Grind these three together and onto the filet

IMG_0574.jpg

A little Pin and Feathers on the wife’s chicken breast

IMG_0576.jpg

Part 2 coming

RickB

Sunday Night Dinner part 2

Let’s do a reverse sear on the meat. Into the warming pit on the mak

IMG_0583.jpg

Ready to sear. Let’s get the polenta cakes cooking.

IMG_0584.jpg

Warmed up some crawfish etouffe for the polenta cakes and cooked some mushrooms and onions for the steak.

Here we go..A little Romain salad with blue cheese for veg

IMG_0586.jpg

Money shot

IMG_0595.jpg

Enjoy!

Last edited:

roburado

De Bebe's Smoked Salmon

So, De Bebe made dinner for me on the MAK. She bought us some salmon and asparagus from Costco. She took some garlic olive oil and ObieCue Sunshine and put it all on the asparagus. She then grilled them up. Then, she set MAK to smoke. She used some slices of cabbage to protect the fish by setting slices of the salmon filet in them. Onto the smoker went the fish which were coated in olive oil and ObieCue Sunshine. As she closed in on temp, she hiked the heat up to 250F to finish. Then, she served me this.

BebesSmokedSalmon.jpg

That was great salmon. Incredibly moist and tender. Great smoke flavor. Great richness from the salmon. Thanks, Bebe! I love you!

Top Bottom