MAK Grills Launches Web Application: www.makgrillsmobile.com

MAK DADDY

Quick question, my module is on the way. Does the unit support WPA-PSK / TKIP, or WPA2-TKIP?

I find most home wireless users have their own pass phrases instead of WEP keys. Thanks!

Yes most use a pass phrase and won't have to change any settings.
MAK Grills Wi-Fi supports the following:
Open (no security)
WPA 1 Personal TKIP
WPA 2 Personal AES
WEP 128 Open (26 character)
Open (No Security)

Sinitron

Yes most use a pass phrase and won't have to change any settings.
MAK Grills Wi-Fi supports the following:
Open (no security)
WPA 1 Personal TKIP
WPA 2 Personal AES
WEP 128 Open (26 character)
Open (No Security)

Awesome, thanks for the info. Have a great holiday weekend!

bspooky

Public Service Announcement: A word of caution for those of you using WEP....consider bumping that up to WPA 2 as you are really not using any security at all. WEP was broken years ago, and any WEP network passphrase can be broken in mere seconds or up to maybe 5 minutes if the computer / smartphone is very slow. The tools to do so are automated so even a 5 year can do it. You may think nobody wants on your network, but you used WEP for a reason in the first place. Either you realized you should, you didn't want people stealing your bandwidth or watching your transactions or using your network to do very bad things....but older routers may have new firmware to upgrade if it doesn't already support wpa2. If not, new ones are really really not that expensive. At least check out your configuration to see if WPA2 is available. It is the minimum you want to use.

Question: In the video on the Mak site it mentions something about a list of routers known to work, yet I don't see that anywhere. Maybe I misunderstood the video. I guess either way I would be willing to get another network up for this, it is sounding like a must have for my new Mak 2.

MAK DADDY

Question: In the video on the Mak site it mentions something about a list of routers known to work, yet I don't see that anywhere. Maybe I misunderstood the video. I guess either way I would be willing to get another network up for this, it is sounding like a must have for my new Mak 2.

It is on the MAK Grills website shopping cart area for the Wi-Fi, we only have a few reported so far.

Wi-Fi module arrived yesterday. Upgrade went smooth. Wi-Fi installation was a snap...straightforward and easy. This is good b/c i usually mess things up!!! No probs whatsoever with my router (Netgear R6300). Sent Remote Boss back this evening around 5:30ish EST this evening. Hope it gets back to Mak Daddy asap =) Gonna fire it up first thing Saturday. Haven't smoked brisket in a while hmmm

Last edited:

scooter

Upgrade went smooth. Wi-Fi installation was a snap...straightforward and easy. This is good b/c i usually mess things up!!! No probs whatsoever with my router

This is possible because MAK first designed a WiFi system that is simple and easy to install bringing WiFi control within reach of virtually all backyard pitmasters. You don't need to be a Network guru to install it. And secondly, MAK took the time to wring out every bug so your install goes smooth and your pit access is simple and consistent.
Truly an amazing design!

dnew

Update - The CFO approved my purchase of the Wi-Fi module for my MAK 2 Star. Order placed was told to considered it my Father's Day gift. I am a happy smoker. Love my CFO.

Sinitron

I got my wireless installed last night, upgrade went well.
Documentation is great, firmware update from the Remote Boss is easy
Install of the wireless module went well, connected to my network fine on a Linksys WRT54GL
Web interface is really snazzy, I like the temp history and charting!

MAK DADDY

This is all great news on the instructions and connections! The graph is awesome and we are making some more improvements as well :)
With the Recipe page (coming this summer) you will be able to attach the saved cooking graphs to your individual recipes as well as cooking programs.

Working on the 4 Star page, lots of hurdles there with the dual fire pots but it is going to be sweet too!

My favorite part of MAK Grills Mobile is the text/email notifications :)

RickB

YES! The porting to SMS text or Email is awesome. I plugged in my email address, and was pleasantly alerted by email when the smoker came up to temp!

Im going to put in my wifes work email and watch her freak out trying to get in touch with me! ;)

RickB

This is all great news on the instructions and connections! The graph is awesome and we are making some more improvements as well :)
With the Recipe page (coming this summer) you will be able to attach the saved cooking graphs to your individual recipes as well as cooking programs.

Working on the 4 Star page, lots of hurdles there with the dual fire pots but it is going to be sweet too!

My favorite part of MAK Grills Mobile is the text/email notifications :)

Sure wish the graphs were saved in a user friendly manor. Svg files are impossible to convert to jpg which is pretty much the worldwide standard for pictures. At least an option to save in that format. Just something to put on the wish list.

I tried out the Wi-Fi Module yesterday. All i can say is wow!! This thing is legit!! Now all i need is a light mounted camera on the inside of the hood.

MAK DADDY

Sure wish the graphs were saved in a user friendly manor. Svg files are impossible to convert to jpg which is pretty much the worldwide standard for pictures. At least an option to save in that format. Just something to put on the wish list.

Email me all your wish list items and I will add them as we go (if feasible of course).
[email protected]

Saxguy

Does the program have the ability to share settings and programs between users? In other words, can we swap program files? Also, are there basic preset programs that use probe temps available for each cut of meat - sort of like a "smoking for dummies" feature?

MAK DADDY

Does the program have the ability to share settings and programs between users? In other words, can we swap program files? Also, are there basic preset programs that use probe temps available for each cut of meat - sort of like a "smoking for dummies" feature?

Not at this time, the recipe page and public sections (where you can share) are all coming in the future.
The 4 Star does not have built in Cooking programs on the controller, they will all be ran from the MAK Grills Mobile.

Scrapmanson

Ok got my new mak 2 star with the wifi module. I'm having trouble staying connected, I finally was able to pull it up on my phone, but then whenI went to check ttemps it wasn't connected again, I hit retry and nothing.... I have an open network because I have way to many things connected and got tired of doing codes all the time. Since its open it should be straight forward, it's only about 20' away from the router. I really hope someone could help me out.. It was so cool for the few minutes it was connected.

dnew

Update - family CFO surprised me with an early Father's Day gift of the MAK WiFi module. I have it up and running and cannot wait until I do a cook so I can see the real benefit the features. Of course the CFO had to ask what I was going to do with the remote module, still have not come up with a worthwhile answer to that as of yet.

Top Bottom