New guy looking for advice

zackly

Thanks, that's great information!
Now I guess I have to decide if I want to spring for a grand or more on a US made unit.

MossyMO

- Traeger's made in China are made with 20 gauge steel.
- Mak's are made with 14 and 16 gauge steel.

The Mak with a much heavier gauge construction will be cheaper to heat pellet cost wise, cook more even, is going to be stronger and last longer in my opinion.

scooter

zackly, I'd venture to say that if I looked at your set of cooking knives, I could tell you what grade of pellet cooker you'll end up with. In any field of endevor, you get what you pay for. Budget will ultimately play into it but if you're a serious enough cook to own your own immersion cooker, it wouldn't make sense to me that you wouldn't carry that passion for quality equipment over into the outdoor grill arena.

SmokinSteiny

Jerry,

Welcome to the forum! Also, I own a Traeger Deluxe and it's not the best built thing in the world that's for damn sure but it was cheap, actually mine was free but that's a different story.... :) Anyways, if you actually get your hands on a Traeger or just study photos of them and the other competitors out there you'll find that the others are far superior to Traeger. I'd be really scared of knock offs of what is already an inferior piece of equipment. It's like buying a Hobart or a Kitchen Aide appliance! I rather go big. I learned my lesson of not doing my research and finding this forum of very knowledgeable people before I purchased, next time it'll be a MAK!

zackly

Jerry,

Welcome to the forum! Also, I own a Traeger Deluxe and it's not the best built thing in the world that's for damn sure but it was cheap, actually mine was free but that's a different story.... :) Anyways, if you actually get your hands on a Traeger or just study photos of them and the other competitors out there you'll find that the others are far superior to Traeger. I'd be really scared of knock offs of what is already an inferior piece of equipment. It's like buying a Hobart or a Kitchen Aide appliance! I rather go big. I learned my lesson of not doing my research and finding this forum of very knowledgeable people before I purchased, next time it'll be a MAK!

Thanks for the info! Right now it looks like the decision I have to make is either to go cheap or good. I'm usually inclined to buy quality but (like all my customers) I hate paying list price :) Is there any way or time of year to buy a MAK 1 Star @ a discount?
Do they ever go on sale or have coupons?

So Cal Smoker

The information you have received from this forum just saved you between $200 & $900. You can take that to the bank. Now what you need is a dealer that will give you the kind of service you give to your customers. Big Pappa is that dealer and if not for him you would not be getting all this information. Enough said.

rsp076

Yes But a Yoder is made with 10 guage steel and is the new up and coming smoking king for less money and a more sturdy unit.

CarterQ

You love your Yoder, Spark loves his MAK's your cooking with pellets and its all good. Lets leave it at that.

rsp076

I agree with you sparky. But it seems some people on here are rude if you do not choose a Mak and think everything else is junk. To be honest I like the Mak 2 but they are overpriced for what you get. That is just my opinion.
You love your Yoder, Spark loves his MAK's your cooking with pellets and its all good. Lets leave it at that.

Big Poppa

Administrator
rsp you came on and asked a lot of questions and advice.....you decided on a Yoder and we couldn't be happier...the only one slinging cr@p is your post above...how about getting the the spirit and cook some food and show it off here!

Mossy and takonka have we treated you poorly because you cook on a Yoder? No...we welcome you with open arms and really appreciate your contributions....

Tatonka3A2

This is a great site with AMAZING cooks on here. You have to remember what site you are on - this is page is all brought to you for free by MAK. We love our Yoder and would recommend it to anyone, but the MAK is an amazing smoker too. I will never tell anyone not to buy a MAK. Each one I believe has it pluses and minuses. You need to research and buy what fits your needs and wants.

There is a ton of stuff to learn about cooking with a pellet grill and this site has really added to our cooks. Before here we would have NEVER thought of grilling asparagus, brussel sprouts, or lobster!! The contest each week really encourage you to step out of your comfort zone and have fun with your cooks....whether it be MAK, Yoder, or any other grill.

Big Poppa

Administrator
tatonka

thanks for the response...
MAK does not pay for anything here....I do. ALl of it.

I sold more MAK's and Memphis grills than anyone.....the fact that there are more active posters that are into MAK's is probably because I consider that a cooks tool with the pellet boss....WE have probably more Traeger cookers here but the cooks that stand out happen to be mostly MAK cooks....I want all people pellet here....I have a preference in what I co0ok on bu my big picture is pellet cooking...regardless of who made it.

sparky

Thanks for everything Tatonka...mossy isnt bad either!

i like them too. ya they cook and a yoder. who cares. have you seen the food they produce on it. deb for the longest time produce 5 star meals on her traeger (i started w/ traeger too). pellets are pellets. doesn't matter what cooker we use as long has we learn and share what we know w/ each other.

CarterQ

i like them too. ya they cook and a yoder. who cares. have you seen the food they produce on it. deb for the longest time produce 5 star meals on her traeger (i started w/ traeger too). pellets are pellets. doesn't matter what cooker we use as long has we learn and share what we know w/ each other.

Amen to that brother!

Top Bottom