Please Don't murder me

bubbatdog

I have posted this same question on another board, but I am looking for some good advice. If I am going to spend $2,000 on a smoker, I want to be damn sure I have asked everyone I can about my options

I have narrowed it down to Yoder 640, Rec Tec, Fast Eddy PG500, and a Daniel Boone.

Only reason Daniel Boone is in here is if I chicken out of this big of a spend, and go less expensive. I currently own a Jim Bowie (THAT JUST DIED) and a Davy Crockett. I like them, but want something I can have for 20 years.

I will use whatever unit I pick to grill, bake, and smoke.

I generally grill all year around and grill everything. Mostly for my family of 4, but sometimes big groups of people.

I also 3 to 4 times a year, cook for 30 to 60 people at a time. Mostly brisket and butt.

I like the Yoder for the smoking and the Fast eddy for grilling. But my only knock on the fast eddy is that direct area takes up a lot of smoking area.

I like the bigger hopper on the Rec Tec, and they seem to know what they are doing to hold temp. Is that because the pot is in the middle.

Any opinions are wanted. I know I can't go wrong with any of them, I just want to be sold on one of them and buy one without hesitation.

Meat Man

I'd go with the Yoder out of those four, but I'd take a good look at the One Star with the upper shelf. I only have experience on a Yoder and Green Mountain out of those four. The Green Mountain and the Yoders are fine cookers, but they do have their weak spots. MAKs really can do it all and hold up really well.

bubbatdog

Could I get 6 to 8 buts on it at a time, seems small to me

I'd go with the Yoder out of those four, but I'd take a good look at the One Star with the upper shelf. I only have experience on a Yoder and Green Mountain out of those four. The Green Mountain and the Yoders are fine cookers, but they do have their weak spots. MAKs really can do it all and hold up really well.

bubbatdog

What would be your top 3 reasons on wanting a Mak over a Yoder. By the time I add the grilling options on the Mak, it's about 400 more

Meat Man

For me I like the pellet boss controller (the brains behind the machine), it just works like it should and it's programmable . MAKs will use a lot less pellets that a Yoder. MAKs will grill as well as smoke, and do both really well. MAKs customer service is second to none, but you won't need it.

Tomsmccann

I'm surprised that the MAK 1 Star isn't on your list. I see so many people in various Facebook groups putting up posts about the various issues they're having with their GMG units then end up buying either a MAK or Yoder. Rec Tecs are nice, but are more of a glorified Traeger in my opinion. They're also made in China.

Yoders are awesome smokers and you can grill with them as well. I see a recurring problem on a lot of the Facebook pages and other forums where people's finishes are coming off within the first year and finding rust. Their controllers seem to have some issues as well. While I have never owned a Yoder, I'm only speaking about the extensive research I have done on them. With that said, I wouldn't mind having one.

Now for the MAK... It's 100% American made, built solid, has an amazing controller, and doesn't have wild temperature swings. You can fit 8 pork butts with the full upper shelf, it produces a ton of smoke, and doesn't burn as many pellets as the Yoder. From a technological standpoint, MAK is light years ahead with the pellet boss (3 meat probes, 3 programmable user settings, MAK mobile, etc). Check one out before making your purchase!

bubbatdog

I guess it was the size, and the price mainly. Are the probes included? How do you use the programmable settings?

As well as being able to pay over 6 months with the Yoder

I also assume I would need the retro fit to make it grill good. That's another $250. So about $500 more all together for a smaller smoker.

I like the looks of them, and the reviews, but I would really be blowing my budget on that one.

Last edited:

Quadman750

Big poppa smokers offer a payment plan on the MAK Grills I believe (correct me if I am wrong). Hopefully someone with info will chime in. I can honestly say MAK & Memphis have the least amount of issues & the MAK is less expensive

jimsbarbecue

We own MAK # 68 and # 186 . Both work better then the day we got them. We turn them on they work. Will they last 20 years? That is a tall order for anything left outside. I would buy them again.

KyNola

I'm not sure what you think you need to additionally purchase to make the MAK "grill good". It grills just fine straight out of the box. As for rain or snow, MAK doesn't care if it rains or snows. Both of my 2 Stars stay outside all year with a grill cover on them. They never fail to perform regardless of the weather. Purchase the optional upper rack and you will have all of the smoking area you will need. Admittedly I am biased towards a MAK but the simple truth is it does exactly what they say it will do.

bubbatdog

Want to use it as my primary grill also if I just get the searing great is that going to be good enough or can I just buy some grill grates for the Mak

rwalters

Want to use it as my primary grill also if I just get the searing great is that going to be good enough or can I just buy some grill grates for the Mak

I am new here...just bought a used 1 Star from a buddy on this forum last month. LOVE IT!!!! Just my 2 cents...yes, the Mak 1 Star can grill, but in my opinion, that is not the strong point of any pellet pooper. Yes, the flame zone will make a tremendous difference. With that said though, I know that I would not be satisfied with a pellet pooper as my primary grill. There is no way you are going to generate the radiant heat that a simple Weber Kettle can do... and the pellet poopers that do (Memphis for example) are crazy expensive and only have a small area that has the direct radiant heat. If I were in your shoes, I'd seriously consider the Mak 1 Star without adding the flame zone (best bang for buck...and they are top quality) and plunk $150 down on a Weber kettle 1 touch gold. With that duo, the cooking options are virtually limitless. Besides my Mak 1 Star, I also cook on a Kamado Joe ceramic grill, which I love just as much as the 1 Star.

With a 1 Star, cover, full upper grate and Weber kettle...you should be able to just squeeze in at budget. You can always add a few bells and whistles down the road if you desire ;-)

Here was my Thanksgiving turkey done on the 1 Star. I have done these on my kamado/charcoal smokers for years now, so was curious to see how the 1 Star would do with a turkey. Needless to say I was quite pleased. Oh yeah, I like smoke, so I bought and have been using an A-maze-n tube (well worth the $35).
4093297a2b8b2bfa2d00a3b821bf3b26.jpg
8d4c46fd0672fbdd0e974b9131bd214d.jpg

bubbatdog

I have a weber performer. I use that to grill now, I just don't want three grills setting on my screened in porch anymore. I use a cast iron skillet to get the final touches done on a steak when I use my pellet grill to grill them. I like the flavor off of my Jim Bowie and Davy Crockett as well as my Weber.

That turkey looks crazy good.

Big Poppa

Administrator
I hope you buy a MAK from us....that keeps the lights on here and I know you will have the right tool for your cooking

bubbatdog

Talked to someone in your office just a few minutes ago. I was planning on buying the Yoder this am, and haven't yet. So I am definitely wavering.

rwalters

Talked to someone in your office just a few minutes ago. I was planning on buying the Yoder this am, and haven't yet. So I am definitely wavering.
Obviously you need to do what makes sense for you... but I can tell you, I did a ton, I mean a TON of reading and talking prior to purchasing my Mak. By far and away, the Mak has the most consistent rave reviews and satisfied customer base. Doesn't mean that there aren't other GREAT pellet grill manufacturers, but only 1 can rise to the top, and IMO Mak has surfaced. Again, just my opinion :)

bubbatdog

I think that any one of them that I buy will make sense for me. Maybe the Mak makes more sense, I am not a very patient person, and if I have to screw around with it to get it to work better, I will end up getting rid of it.

Big Poppa? Do you have any holiday specials going on with a second shelf? I saw the package, but I don't need the rubs and koozies and such.

Top Bottom